It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God's Wife Edited Out of the Bible -- Almost

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
news.discovery.com...

While surfing the www. looking for treatments for potential screenplays, I came across this....

God had a wife, Asherah, whom the Book of Kings suggests was worshiped alongside Yahweh in his temple in Israel, according to an Oxford scholar.

In 1967, Raphael Patai was the first historian to mention that the ancient Israelites worshiped both Yahweh and Asherah. The theory has gained new prominence due to the research of Francesca Stavrakopoulou, who began her work at Oxford and is now a senior lecturer in the department of Theology and Religion at the University of Exeter.

Interesting don't you think?

Just how heavily is the Bible edited and how can it still be called the "Word of God" when man changed the original message to reflect political or societal views according to the ideology and cosmology of the clergy.

edit on 21-3-2011 by whaaa because: iviiv

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
"God" is an extraterrestrial. So of course he has a "wife". Even ET's have to propagate

But thats my thoughts on the bible and any other religion and if anybody disagrees with me, thats your opinion and you are entitled to it

edit on 3/21/2011 by LiquidNova because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'd like to see scripture along with this claim, because this is news to me.
Looks like I'm going to have to read the Book of Kings again.

I've heard this before, just never researched it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Israelites also worshipped a golden calf. So God must be half cow. He also says He will "cover us with His wings" so he must be a cosmic chicken.

I say never underestimate people's inability to understand even the simplest of concepts.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
There are numerous times in the Bible in which the Israelites adopted the worship of a deity of the surrounding cultures or of the culture that was currently in power over them. Many of the kings on the old testament setup false gods and temples as well (see King Ahab and Queen Jezebel). Asherah is somehow related to Baal and was worshipped in the surrounding cultures like the Philistines. I personally don't think this researcher has disovered any new conspiracy but if it really is being kept hidden then I wouldn't know.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

interesting...

read this... please.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

a short story i'm working on..

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I saw this article last week. Interesting! Here is another relevant thread on the topic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Complete blasphemy. God never had a wife. He is alpha and omega who created man first and woman from him there after. He didn't need a woman! What for when you have trillions of angels not to mention Jesus for company in his divine residence? And let's not forget us! He has billions of his children all over the Earth! He is not a lonely man like Adam was. Get it straight and keep your ridiculous theories moving. I bet God is getting a real good laugh out of silly humans with their little minds thinking the audacity that God would need a wife. I wish I had the eyeroll option on this mobile.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ag893

Another closed-minded non-thought from someone so devout they're afraid to examine their beliefs.

So so tiring to see people shut down like this in the face of scholarly investigation.

This is really interesting. Imagine what the world would be like today if the Abrahamic religions saw women as equal human beings to men. That is a world I wish we lived in.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ag893

Wow...someone sure seems insecure with their faith.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I thought that the Bible along with all of the holy books were a group of stories hand selected by few chosen individuals. Weren't there tons of scriptures and scrolls in the Library of Alexandria when it was set aflame?

No telling how much was "omitted".

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ag893

"silly humans with their little minds"???

Why the hell is it so important to an all powerful, all knowing god, the we silly little puny minded humans need to worship him. Sounds like The Allmighty might be a little insecure. Why would you want to worship a guy like that!?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ag893

Why do you insist on going off every time someone says anything that is against your religious view. It is okay to disagree but come on. Relax take a deep breath and remember your blood pressure.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I had to research my original question of ..."how heavily is the Bible edited"........apparently very.

www.awitness.org...

so if the Bible was divinely inspired; why muck around with the original and who or why would they want to?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think everyone should calm down with the name calling and the rude comments, this site is dedicated to denying ignorance, not to be ignorant to other people's beliefs.

Everyone should chill.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
News flash to ignoramus...if you live in the USA, YOU ALREADY DO!! Were you in a coma during the feminist movement?! Get a clue seriously! Women run practically everything nowadays!! You must be kidding me! And if your a man, your a total wuss in my eyes. You need a woman to control and dominate you because your too weak in yourself to be the man that you really are. Can't stand men like that!
If you are the example of a good christian, that is reason enough for me to never want to be one.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'm sure it has changed many times over the years as to fit certain agendas.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

This is news to many people but not to me as a servant of the Great Goddess of Many Names. I've met many manifestations of the Goddess. Her manifestations span the spectrum of archetypes, just as the manifestations of the Great God of Many Names do.

Hieros Gamos...the harmonization of opposites...coincidentia oppositorum...

edit on 21-3-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ag893

Straight jacket, rubber hose, and Thorazine for you...

STAT!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join