It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stricken Japan Nuke Plant Skipped Inspections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Stricken Japan Nuke Plant Skipped Inspections

www.msnbc.msn.com

The operator of Japan's tsunami-damaged nuclear power plant told safety regulators less than two weeks before disaster struck that it had failed to carry out some scheduled inspections at the facility.

...The equipment missed in scheduled inspections included a motor and a backup power generator for the No. 1 reactor, the firm said in a report available on a company Website.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Ooops.

And there you have it - human error. Back-up systems failure is a key element of the current crisis.

But I'm wondering if it really is "human error." One of the real problems with corporate law is that profitability over-rides all other concerns - including safety.

Perhaps it was cheaper to miss the inspections and NOT replace the batteries when needed, for example. Kind of a "worth the risk because probably nothing will happen" position.

Trouble is, when it comes to nuclear power, safety should over-ride profit. But not under corporate law.

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Even if they were inspected and up to date. It seems the Tsunami would have knocked it out anyways.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Ooops.
And there you have it - human error. Back-up systems failure is a key element of the current crisis.
But I'm wondering if it really is "human error." One of the real problems with corporate law is that profitability over-rides all other concerns - including safety.
Perhaps it was cheaper to miss the inspections and NOT replace the batteries when needed, for example. Kind of a "worth the risk because probably nothing will happen" position.
Trouble is, when it comes to nuclear power, safety should over-ride profit. But not under corporate law.
www.msnbc.msn.com

True but in reality it is not that simple. The powerstation is a vast complex with several components to operating a Nuclear Powerplant safely. The overall facility has to be designed and built around a catastrophe of the magnitude which stuck Japan on 03/11/11 (9.1 EQ). I seriously doubt it if the safety inspection would have done much to avoid the damage done by Tsunami to several aspects of the powerplant. Especially when nobody has the inside pics and videos of the powerplant. Only thing we know is about the external damage and pics and videos shows to us by the Japanese Government.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

My thoughts, too.

While I abhor the way corporations/government cut corners on safety and still manage to waste money, I'm not totally sure an inspection would have avoided the effects of this huge tsunami.

The videos I have seen would have overwhelmed just about anything in its path, making large commercial fishing vessels look like toys are they were tossed about.

Hindsight is 20/20.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
reply to post by soficrow

Even if they were inspected and up to date. It seems the Tsunami would have knocked it out anyways.

I actually agree.

That's my second, unwritten point - nuclear power plants should NOT be built in seismically active areas. But they are.

And - my first point stands - safety gets sacrificed for profit, every time.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The Japanease were warned two years ago with regards to the safety off thier nuclear plants, when it comes to earthquakes ad tsnummis, which was released by Wikileaks. And they never done anything to correct the safety concerns.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

How do you know the back-up generator wouldn't have worked if it was inspected and repaired from some problem before the tsunami?

If that back-up generator would have worked, this whole crisis might have been averted. It was the initial explosions caused by the generator failure that caused the chain reaction of failures that followed.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by hp1229

The Japanease were warned two years ago with regards to the safety off thier nuclear plants, when it comes to earthquakes ad tsnummis, which was released by Wikileaks. And they never done anything to correct the safety concerns.

Agreed but the entire powerstation itself has to be designed to withstand earthquakes and tsunamis (if building by a coastline) upto a certain magnitude. Even many nuclear power stations in California are built to withstand Tsunamis upto 60 feet and i believe a 7.0 plus scale earthquake. If one fixes the safety issues for certain minor things such as a broken main gate or entrance to the power station? how does that help? One needs to specifically see the list of safety violations or concerns that were identified and then prosecute (tell them that we do not owe anything that is held in treasury notes by the Japanese
as a compensation for the radiation it spewed onto US) TEPCO for negligence.

top topics

join