Jesus is coming: Evangelical thinks Japan quake is a sign of the ‘second coming’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Am I the only one who thinks it's kinda funny to pretend scripture or mythical prophecies have anything to do with the catastrophe in Japan when science perfectly explains what happened? Plate tectonics...look it up

But I guess the evangelicals aren't alone, and have other crazy lunatics like Glenn Beck on their side

I threw a stone in a river my friend. Physics can explain how the stone landed on the river bed where it did.

I still threw a stone in a river...

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

For those who don't like to read about plate tectonics, just look at this picture and tell me if you notice something interesting relating to Japan's location on the map

edit on 21-3-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

Look, we can perfectly explain what caused this earthquake, no magic or mythical creature required. And as for your example, how on earth does that prove anything?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I love how folks like to go from Point A (now) to Jesus, totally skipping all the good stuff in between!

Seriously, first things first, the Whore has to Fall, and in one day mind you! Japan was not the Whore!

Then, and only then can we get on with the big nasty stuff which will lead to the Anti-Christ being in POWER! He won't come close to power he will be empowered, and of course "by the very people he will deceive", en mass too!

The witnesses will be killed before the kings and they will rise up to join Jesus in his Kingdom in Heaven. This will be the big "it is almost time" moment!

So, no cutting in line, no fidgeting or fussing, we all have to be patient. However, in the meantime, to keep busy it might be a good idea if we all take a moment to start acting like we really want Jesus to return and start living like Heaven is upon the Earth; otherwise we are fooling ourselves and this is not the path.

Jesus is coming, well of course he is! Japan happened to be a victim of misplaced technology on a very misplaced piece of landscape, a fault-line, and in a very precarious time for our Planet with the inclusion of a Heavenly Body that is causing such problems (not discrediting the Fluff mind you). I am Praying for Japan and I am praying for all who believe such tripe as Mr. Graham does. Both of them need our help but I know who is more deserving!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
My first post was 100% on-topic and yet got removed as being off-topic. I am detecting moderation with bias towards ideology and/or certain members.

I'll sum it up again and see if it gets hit. Beliefs such as this are dangerous. I'll leave it at that.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
I am Praying for Japan and I am praying for all who believe such tripe as Mr. Graham does. Both of them need our help but I know who is more deserving!

Why not do something that will actually help out, such as make a donation?
Prayer does nothing

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Matthew 24:36
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Acts 1:7
He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

My whole problem (with the bible, not the creator mind you) is that men wrote the texts. So, my problem is not a lack of faith in a creator, it is simply a lack of faith in mankind.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Am I the only one who thinks it's kinda funny to pretend scripture or mythical prophecies have anything to do with the catastrophe in Japan when science perfectly explains what happened? Plate tectonics...look it up

I guess if you're the sort who thinks that there is an inherent conflict between God and science, that might be the case. As do a lot of Christians, I view science as the method, God as the motivation. An omniscient and omnipotent being could certainly have set things in motion a billion years ago that resulted in the seismic conditions that exist today (or will exist whenever the "earthquakes in diverse places" bit comes to pass.)

That would be a "causality" explanation -- another might be that an eternal being would know that the natural world would eventually come to a head -- earthquakes, climate change, comet hitting the planet, solar flares, whatever -- and that this would be the time that he'd wind things up -- a "predictive" explanation (of sorts -- for the eternal being, it's not a prediction, of course.)

I'm not saying that IS what happened, just saying that not everyone sees religion and science as being necessarily at odds.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

But I guess the evangelicals aren't alone, and have other crazy lunatics like Glenn Beck on their side

edit on 21-3-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

I wasn't aware of any sides between us.
Science can explain the means and describe the vehicle all day long.
It's all the same at the end of the day.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Look, we can perfectly explain what caused this earthquake, no magic or mythical creature required. And as for your example, how on earth does that prove anything?

Ok then, perfectly explain it.

How much pressure can the tectonic plates withstand based on their composition, underlying heat from the magma chamber, magnetic flux from the earth's core, atmospheric pressure bearing down on them, the gravitational flux created by the moon and other stellar bodies, the rotational effect of earth, and the solar fluxes caused by eruptions from the sun.

Explain these things perfectly and we will be able to forecast earthquakes and save lives.

Do not forget that as we travel through the solar system and the universe, these things are constantly fluctuating based on our new stellar location, so keep your data up to date every second that we never miss a forecast.

Do this, and I will rule out God. Until then, you can not explain it perfectly. You can only offer an imperfect explanation after the fact based on your limited mortal understanding.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

I am Praying for Japan and I am praying for all who believe such tripe as Mr. Graham does. Both of them need our help but I know who is more deserving!

Prayer does nothing

I did both. Got a complaint with that?

There is pretty conclusive evidence that praying does no harm, so I'm not sure why you'd criticize it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

My first post was 100% on-topic and yet got removed as being off-topic. I am detecting moderation with bias towards ideology and/or certain members.

I'll sum it up again and see if it gets hit. Beliefs such as this are dangerous. I'll leave it at that.

I agree with your post..But it could have been seen as a attack at the op.. Thus being the reason why most of the posts were removed..including mine.. But I will give you a star..

But Seriously i would leave it alone before you start getting more posts removed.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

First of all, "stellar position" has zero influence on plate tectonics...but that aside...

The reason we can't predict earthquakes 100% accurately is because we are lacking DATA. You could find out everything you ask for, but it would require thousands of probes constantly monitoring the situation at varios points. Right now, our technology doesn't allow us to measure that data at all times at all locations at once...it would be a GIANT project that hasn't happened yet. Having said that, the number of measurement stations has increased a lot, which is why tsunami's can be predicted at least to some extent nowadays...Hawaii is a good example of that, and Japan's earthquake technology is pretty advanced to. But it's not perfect, mainly because to be perfect, you'd require thousands of measurement stations at incredible depth.

The thing is, we KNOW plate tectonics cause earth quakes...but we have ZERO objective evidence supporting the claim that a deity even exists. So why believe in something that has zero objective evidence as backup? You might just as well say a giant purple space unicorn (that's invisible to humans ofc) is causing earthquakes...just as unlikely as "your" god theory, which is why rational people don't believe in unicorns.

Fact is, scientists can explain how the earthquake happened and no magic creator creature is required for it to happen

LINK

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

First of all, "stellar position" has zero influence on plate tectonics...but that aside...

Really?? So if we were to coast to close to another star the gravitational pull of this new body would not have any effect on our continental plates?

Sounds like bad science to me.

The reason we can't predict earthquakes 100% accurately is because we are lacking DATA. You could find out everything you ask for, but it would require thousands of probes constantly monitoring the situation at varios points. Right now, our technology doesn't allow us to measure that data at all times at all locations at once...it would be a GIANT project that hasn't happened yet. Having said that, the number of measurement stations has increased a lot, which is why tsunami's can be predicted at least to some extent nowadays...Hawaii is a good example of that, and Japan's earthquake technology is pretty advanced to. But it's not perfect, mainly because to be perfect, you'd require thousands of measurement stations at incredible depth.

Or you could pay closer attention to animals who have a knack for getting out of the way of such things.

The thing is, we KNOW plate tectonics cause earth quakes...but we have ZERO objective evidence supporting the claim that a deity even exists.

I suppose that would depend on how you define "Deity".

Originally posted by MrXYZSo why believe in something that has zero objective evidence as backup? You might just as well say a giant purple space unicorn (that's invisible to humans ofc) is causing earthquakes...just as unlikely as "your" god theory, which is why rational people don't believe in unicorns.

Fact is, scientists can explain how the earthquake happened and no magic creator creature is required for it to happen

Yes, scientists could explain how a stone ended up on the bottom of a river bed. It doesn't change the fact that I threw the stone.

We can explain how we are flying through space, but we cannot explain what set our trip in motion.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

I just don't think he wants to get it.

If you shoot yourself in the foot you won't heal any faster by describing the gun to the doctor.
edit on 21-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Really?? So if we were to coast to close to another star the gravitational pull of this new body would not have any effect on our continental plates?

Sounds like bad science to me.

We aren't close enough to any stars at any point in time where it would exert enough gravitational forces to influence plate tectonics...so no, not bad science, rather common sense

Or you could pay closer attention to animals who have a knack for getting out of the way of such things.

Of course some animals feel those things, their senses are often a lot better than ours. A dog smells and hears a visitor before that visitor even knocks on the door

I suppose that would depend on how you define "Deity".

Then give me your definition of deity that would allow for it to have caused this earthquake

Yes, scientists could explain how a stone ended up on the bottom of a river bed. It doesn't change the fact that I threw the stone.

We can explain how we are flying through space, but we cannot explain what set our trip in motion.

Sure we can explain the whole story. We can explain how you came to be, we can explain how you throw the stone or why (random impulse, fun, etc)...just like we could explain it if an animal threw the stone. A dog carrying a tennis ball you throw might stand in the water and let go to make you throw it again...because he's having fun and his hunting instinct make him do that. We can explain how that dog came to be, and why he's dropping the ball.

If a horse walks along a river bed, and kicks a stone into the river, we can fully explain how that happened. Again, no magical deity required.

The religious world is constantly shrinking. Hundreds of years ago, people claimed diseases are an act of god, we can now explain it. They also believed comets to be a sign of god...and we can explain that too. And the same goes for earthquakes. The "god did it" argument is really weak as not a single thing can objectively be attributed to god...and many things that have in the past, were in fact debunked by science.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

That's ok too my friend. If it wasn't for people doubting religious traditions, we would still be worshipping rocks and flinging poo. Wait, we still fling poo... Never mind the last.

My point is, some must always doubt, always question, to keep us moving forward in time. If all were meant to KNOW there is a God, they would for his voice is within.

Thus, even the atheist is blessed in the Kingdom of Heaven.

There is room for all.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Prayer does nothing

Don't knock prayer, you want your money to go to some fat cat while people in Japan are starving and eating junk out of the gutter of the road be my guest but do not "assume" what I do or not do. Thank you very much!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by IAMIAM

Oh, I do, I really do wanna get why people believe in stuff they have no rational/logical reason to believe in. It's just that I require OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE because I'm not a blind sheep, and the "just because" answer isn't good enough for me. We live in the 21st century, not the middle ages anymore...and focusing on objective evidence rather than blind belief and irrationality would really help our species evolve (no pun intended).

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

who flings poo?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Anytime any thing bad happens, people say "God did it". All Graham is saying that God didn't do it, he is saying the DEVIL did it. He then indicates God intervened to soften the disaster.

When asked repeatedly if he thought this means the endtimes, he said he didn't know. Repeatedly he says this.

When he said Glenn Beck was charming, he voice sounded sarcastic.

Good Grief.

He was apparently on there to talk about his relief work in Japan, but continued to be baited by the interviewer, so his comments could be s t r e t c h e d into the likes of this discussion.
edit on 21-3-2011 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join