It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrests At WikiLeaks Suspect Base Protest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Arrests At WikiLeaks Suspect Base Protest

news.sky.com

More than 30 people have been arrested outside a US marine base during a protest against the treatment of a detained army private accused of giving classified information to Wikileaks
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.whistleblowers.org

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
why isn't this a hot topic here on ATS? this soldier is a "whistleblower" and he is being alledgely tortured for releasing classified information of government corruption. "The 23-year-old former intelligence analyst is accused of handing over confidential US military and government documents to the whistleblowing website"... what happens if one of us releases some info that uncovers the truth??? i find this very discouraging because I am a veteran. Our government encourages whistleblowing if you know of wrongdoing??? "The National Whistleblowers Center (NWC) is an advocacy organization with a 20-year history of protecting the right of individuals to speak out about wrongdoing in the workplace without fear of retaliation. Since 1988, NWC has supported whistleblowers in the courts and before Congress, achieving victories for environmental protection, nuclear safety, government ethics and corporate accountability. NWC also sponsors several educational and assistance programs, including an online resource center on whistleblower rights, a speakers bureau of national experts and former whistleblowers, and a national attorney referral service run by the NWC’s sister group the National Whistleblower Legal Defense and Education Fund (NWLDEF). The National Whistleblowers Center is a non-partisan, non-profit organization based in Washington, DC"... what are your thoughts???

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by maddogron

Interesting.

Seems whistle-blowing is only politically correct under certain circumstances, and only if it damages certain parties. But not when certain financial interests might be compromised.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
What is happening to Manning should be a crime.

That being said, there is a difference between Military Law and Civilian Law. It doesn't make what Manning is going through any easier and it sure does not make it right, but there is a huge difference and make no mistake about it, the Government is going to make an example out of him and send a message to anyone else in the Military who is even thinking about sending records of any kind to anyone else.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
if you google whistleblowing, i found that OSHA jumps in also... 63.234.227.130... with this statement:

The Act provides for a wide range of substantive and procedural rights for employees and representatives of employees

he is an employee of the united states, i know he signed an oath agreement, had access to classified info... but he knew of wrongdoing and decided to standup. i found this a interesting arguement...
edit on 21-3-2011 by maddogron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
While I don't claim to know what they are doing to Manning, I find it hard to believe that they would bother torturing him.

He is a low-level idealist who released non-compartmentalized routine diplomatic cables and not someone who 'spied' on anyone. He is part of no intelligence organization, and foolishly did what he thought was the 'right' thing to do. While we may hate what he did, and it was definitely not legal to do so under the UCMJ, he is of no intelligence value whatsoever.

But, the truth is, this has political value in the perennial theater of the elite, and I expect talking heads will do their magical "expert" dance all over the issue so that we may buy more Vagisil and contemplate putting our retirement 'funds' in XYZ corporate coffers while shopping for the new car we simply must have.....

If this were a humanitarian issue, why aren't more oversight agencies involved? Where's the ACLU? Where is the Red Cross?

The government would do just as well to release him on his own recognizance and confine him to the base, everything beyond that is simple cruel showmanship.... they are going to make an example of a starry-eyed dreamer who naively bought into the idea that what he did would make a difference..... has it?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by maddogron
if you google whistleblowing, i found that OSHA jumps in also... 63.234.227.130... with this statement:

The Act provides for a wide range of substantive and procedural rights for employees and representatives of employees

he is an employee of the united states, i know he signed an oath agreement, had access to classified info... but he knew of wrongdoing and decided to standup. i found this a interesting arguement...
edit on 21-3-2011 by maddogron because: (no reason given)

Very interesting.

...If he ever gets to court, the legal argument seems clear.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
ok, call me weird
but has anybody actually seen
Bradley Manning other than
the photos of him they released
in the original press release?
Even Dennis Kucinich asked to
see Bradley and was refused.
Is he really real ???
And what proof do we have
other than what was fed to us
by the MSM ???

The invisible American Patriot ???

just asking questions, no flames please

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
WHAT torture? Were his fingernails pulled out of his fingers? Was he burned with cigarettes? Was an electric cattle prod applied to his testicles? Was he boiled in oil? Was his hand cut off?

No.

He's in solitary confinement in a heat-controlled room while his fellow soldiers are in the midst of a hostile desert wearing pounds of body armor in 120 degree heat trying to stay alive and not step on some improvised destructive device buried in the sane or be the target of some RPG wielded by someone in civilian clothes.

Manning is insulated from all that. He doesn't have to worry about getting shot or blown to bits. He gets his three square meals a day right on time. His fellow soldiers get MREs when they can where they can.

They took away his clothes, that's true. When someone threatens suicide by using his underwear, they'll do that. Can you just imagine the howels of protest had Manning been successful in hanging himself while in custody? Well, forst of alll you'd insist the Marines killed him so he wouldn't talk, so ordered by TPTB and the NWO. And that's just a start.

So where is this torture? Did someone look cross-eyed at the poor boy? Did they call him a nasty name about his sexual orientation? Did they suggest he was a traitor or a sissy or a wimp? Did someone inform him he could get the death penalty if convicted of his crimes?

Oh, the horror of it all!! Poor Private Manning! Someone spoke crossly to the little darling. He'll never get over it, you know. He'll be suffering from PTS for the rest of his life.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
anon have been defending manning too....

Anonymous plans defense for Bradley Manning - promises a media war

As part of their plans, Anonymous will wage a media war with those responsible for Manning’s conditions. Not only will those at the Brig be singled out, but those who reported Manning to the authorities will find themselves in the crosshairs as well. While the actions will be non-violent, the repercussions could be severe for those caught up in the fight.

www.thetechherald.com...

Anonymous Threatens To Post Info On Bradley Manning's Guards

The hacker collective Anonymous has given an ultimatum to the U.S. military, saying that the treatment of Private Bradley Manning must improve or it will release the personal information of staff at the brig where Manning is being held.

www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
While we may hate what he did

LOL, speak for yourself, please.

Originally posted by schuyler
WHAT torture? Were his fingernails pulled out of his fingers? Was he burned with cigarettes? Was an electric cattle prod applied to his testicles? Was he boiled in oil? Was his hand cut off?

No.

He's in solitary confinement in a heat-controlled room

He is? Link please.

while his fellow soldiers are in the midst of a hostile desert wearing pounds of body armor in 120 degree heat trying to stay alive and not step on some improvised destructive device buried in the sane or be the target of some RPG wielded by someone in civilian clothes.

by there own choosing of course

Manning is insulated from all that. He doesn't have to worry about getting shot or blown to bits. He gets his three square meals a day right on time.

any verification here, either?

His fellow soldiers get MREs when they can where they can. They took away his clothes, that's true. When someone threatens suicide by using his underwear, they'll do that. Can you just imagine the howels of protest had Manning been successful in hanging himself while in custody?

Well, forst of alll you'd insist the Marines killed him so he wouldn't talk, so ordered by TPTB and the NWO. And that's just a start.

when you assume...I think we all know how the rest of that goes...

So where is this torture? Did someone look cross-eyed at the poor boy? Did they call him a nasty name about his sexual orientation? Did they suggest he was a traitor or a sissy or a wimp? Did someone inform him he could get the death penalty if convicted of his crimes?

are any of those torture?

Oh, the horror of it all!! Poor Private Manning! Someone spoke crossly to the little darling. He'll never get over it, you know. He'll be suffering from PTS for the rest of his life.

LOL, can you pack any more spite and assumption into your post?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

His parents reaction and subsequent interviews come to mind...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis

Originally posted by Maxmars
While we may hate what he did

LOL, speak for yourself, please.

I would never presume to do otherwise.... hence the use of the word "may."

Your point is understood.

I stand by my opinion that the military needn't have evoked the whole 'super-villain' traitor facade with this guy.... it just doesn't fit the suspect in my eyes.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Has this man "confessed or admitted to doing anything he "seems' to be accused of? Have any charges been made? How can he be a whistle blower if he didn't admit to doing the blowing? Being suspected, let alone ACCUSED of something does NOT make him guilty. Nor does it make such accusations true or valid to merely make them.

It would be wise to NOT state someone did something when the statement is NOT based on any proof. Accusation is NOT proof, even being charged is NOT proof. Of course, being found "guilty" is often NOT proof!!! lol Thus many people get released from custody for being "PROVED" innocent, sometimes decades later.

Then again, is it any wonder that many people fall for the guilt by accusation trick, with so many people being held captive, ( known about and not known about ) without any charges against them?

edit on 2011/3/21 by Serafine because: spl correction

top topics

join