It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crime Rates Are Plummeting (despite the economy).....article

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Crime Rates Are Plummeting -- And No One Knows Why
Could it be that America is actually turning less violent? Or are we as violent as ever — but have simply found different ways of assuaging our urges?
March 20, 2011 |

Los Angeles' violent-crime rates are four times lower now than they were 1992. The interesting thing is, nobody can really explain why.

As of December 25, last year, only 293 homicides were reported in LA, along with 781 rapes, 10,734 robberies, and 9,129 aggravated assaults. In 1992, that blood-soaked year of the Rodney King Riots, Los Angeles saw 1,092 murders, 1,861 rapes, 39,222 robberies, and 47,736 aggravated assaults.

These figures echo a nationwide trend. "Crime Rate at 20-Year Low Level," reads a February 24 headline in the Frederick, Maryland News Post. "Major Crime at 39-Year Low in Elgin," the Chicago Tribune crowed on February 22. "Fresno's Murder Rate Is Drastically Down in 2011," announced that California's town's ABC-TV affiliate on February 23. Such headlines are typical these days. Crime's down. What's up?

Theories abound. Various agencies, such as the office of LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, credit themselves with the shift. But in the din of the applause, some of these theories and claims cancel each other out.

Noting that LA in 1992 "was like a war zone," LAPD Sgt. Joe Kuns remembers how, that year, no one in their right mind strolled the downtown intersection of First and Main streets for fun after dark. Drug dealers and their customers ruled that corner, he says. It's a different story now. Brightly lit businesses welcome local residents, who wave happily while walking their dogs.

Why? Some would say it's because those drug dealers and their customers are now locked up. According to the US Bureau of Justice Statistics, the number of drug-related arrests has nearly doubled nationwide since 1992. Drug-related offenders comprised 6 percent of Minnesota's incarcerated in 1989; last year, according to the Minnesota Department of Corrections, they comprised 18 percent.

As for exact correlations between drug violations and violent crime, the jury's still out. A 2009 report by the King's College London International Centre for Prison Studies found that "given the significant costs of incarceration ... in budget terms, but also in terms of the negative impact on community relations, social cohesion and public health — it is hard to justify a drug policy approach that prioritises widespread arrest and harsh penalties for drug users on grounds of effectiveness."

Gang violence is being quelled as well. One program alone, ICE's Operation Community Shield, has resulted in over 20,000 gang-related arrests since 2005. Is this helping?

Kuns is quick to assert that assigning any definitive cause to LA's plunging crime rate "would be intellectually dishonest." It's anyone's guess.

"In meetings with professors from USC and UCLA, we've tried to apply methodical approaches to isolate causal relationships between what our department is doing now with what it was doing twenty years ago. I wish there had been a moment when we all looked at each other across the table and said, 'That's it, we've figured it out.' But there hasn't been."

Kuns does credit community involvement. He says the no-snitch code is dissolving as more people than ever call 911 and anonymous tip lines. Los Angeles Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore agrees.

Even in LA gang strongholds such as Compton, Lynwood, and Lennox, "people have decided that enough is enough." Admittedly "hesitant to talk about how crime is dropping, because a lot of times the bad guys will hear that and say, 'We'll show them,'" Whitmore also credits "the visual saturation of law enforcement, as the sheriff has flooded certain areas of our county with law enforcement and targeted teams. And technology helps."

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Maybe it is what they are putting in the air and water???

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Crime keeps going down in the UK too although I am convinced once the cuts kick in we will definitely see a a reverse. The ironic thing is that as crime rates fall the fear of crime increases. Now this to me is evidence of media manipulation instilling fear into the populace.

Labour appears to have done well. When Jacqui Smith boasted there was less risk of becoming a crime victim than at any time since records began, she was not far out. On Labour's watch, crime fell by about 40%; property crime was halved. Last year violent crime fell 6%, marking a 20-year low in homicide.

www.guardian.co.uk...

The proportion of people who think crime has risen has seen a large increase, despite overall rates of crime falling, a survey suggests.
The British Crime Survey (BCS) indicates 84% of people in England and Wales think crime has risen nationally.

news.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 21-3-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Please be advised that the topic does not concern crime actually receeding - it DOES however have everything to do with crime statistics and the way they are gathered. Note that over the past two years in Texas, cities like Dallas and Houston have recalculated the crime statistics to count events differently than in the past. These stories made the main stream media locally and evidently the FBI is on-board with these types of changes to crime statistics data gathering. For example, multiple crimes committed during a single "spree" may be counted only as one incident, typically in the category of the most serious crime committed.

I wouldn't be certain that the statistics being quoted accurately and adequately represent the "true" crime situation. And just like leading economic indicators and such, crime statistice gathering methods are subject to the whim of the collectors - usually with a purpose to ease the public mind. Never mind that crime reporting agancies (local police) have various political incentives to mis-report criminal activity in their jurisdictions. One good example: local police may not count arrests if they were for warrants from outside the jurisdictions - that's how you can get a pokey fully of arrested folks yet report no arrests or crime in your local jurisdiction.

Here are some links about crime statistics reporting and data collecting changes:

Dallas Morning News Article

St. Louis Today Article

ganjoa
edit on 21-3-2011 by ganjoa because: added links

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
In reference to the UK I know someone who is quite high up in the civilian area of the police who was 'asked' to alter some crime figures, to make it look as though crime has reduced when in actual fact it wasn't, he refused

Lies, damn lies and statistics comes to mind

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen

Maybe the efforts of Transidental Meditation are beginning to pay off.
(No, I'm not going to explain that for you.)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen

Maybe the efforts of Transidental Meditation are beginning to pay off.
(No, I'm not going to explain that for you.)

OK....but I will spell it for you, it is T-r-a-n-s-c-e-n-d-e-n-t-a-l.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Great point....that does make a difference.
Thanks for pointing it out!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
As times get harder crime will rocket, when people no longer feel they have a stake in their society , they will be more inclined to commit criminal acts. We have been very wealthy over the last decade, however,things are changing dramatically and so will the crime rates.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Guess what guys and gals?!

A liar is still a liar.

I'm not so foolish as to repeatedly hear lies, and then cherry pick which of the lies I wish to propagate as potential truth.

A liar is a liar.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

As Gerald Celente likes to say, "when people have nothing else to lose they loose it."
Modern society is spoiled compared to the Greatest Generation that had to go thru the Great Depression. It is going to get ugly.....

edit on 21-3-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I doin't think it's to tough to figure out. The technology is intimidating. It has to be.
I don't think it's because most of the criminals are now in jail.
edit on 21-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Unity

A liar is a liar

Ahh but is that all a liar is ? Can a liar be more than just a liar ? For instance, can a liar be a fatmouth ?
edit on 21-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
As times get harder crime will rocket, when people no longer feel they have a stake in their society , they will be more inclined to commit criminal acts. We have been very wealthy over the last decade, however,things are changing dramatically and so will the crime rates.

I totally agree with you and this has been my fear since all the cuts were announced and the amount of job losses there will be. But why would some people worry about that when they can afford to hire security!

Over winter there were already reports of oil being stolen from peoples tanks due to the rising costs of it and as petrol continues to go up there are always reports of people driving out of the pumps without paying and how long will it be before people start syphoning it from cars again. If you go to some of the supermarkets they have security tabs on FOOD!

All these cuts worry me

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I have no clue what you're saying or what your point is.

My point is that it's idiotic to pick and choose which information you would accept from a source that's known to consistently lie. The government. At some point you have to realize that what they show, is skewed, and what they emphasize has an agenda.
edit on 21-3-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This is really simple.

Two things changed: 1) the technology; and 2) the incentives.

The case management systems used to produce statistics for the National Incident-Based Reporting System (Link.) were less consolidated, and therefore less sophisticated and uniform. This produced lot's of erroneous data...double counting...etc... That has largely changed now.

Secondly, law enforcement funding from the feds and the state was largely based upon these reported statistics. The worse things were, the more money was thrown in their direction. In other words, jurisdictions puffed their stats to get more of their share of the pie.

Now that the money is mostly gone, so have the numbers.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Oh, typical right wing police state technique. Crime statistics show that the crime rates are dropping, so lets change the way the numbers are determined to bring the crime rates back up.

You people calling for changes in how stats are figured don't happen to work in the justice system do you? Talk about a group with great pension plans.

The crime rates have been dropping steadily for almost twenty years now. I would say the biggest reason is that more and more people are walking away from the party like a rock star attitude that mainstream media tries to sell us daily.

More and more people are tuning away from drugs, and putting a lot more effort into raising their kids properly. The younger generations are actually better behaved than their previous boomers, who should go down as the most selfish generation in history.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Originally posted by poet1b
The crime rates have been dropping steadily for almost twenty years now. I would say the biggest reason is that more and more people are walking away from the party like a rock star attitude that mainstream media tries to sell us daily.

More and more people are tuning away from drugs, and putting a lot more effort into raising their kids properly. The younger generations are actually better behaved than their previous boomers, who should go down as the most selfish generation in history.

We must live in separate alternative universes....

edit on 21-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Isn't it obvious?

Its cannabis.

As cannabis is now on the brink of being decriminalized/legalized it has become more readily available.

Less people are getting hammered off liquor and beer which has a know direct correlation to violent crimes.

More people who would normally turn to hard drugs and alcohol are instead turning to cannabis, which has a known calming, relaxing effect.

Some good news for a change!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The people who earn fat incomes from fighting crime are smart enough to realize that pumping up crime stats means job security.

Even though crime rates have been going down steadily, the states keeping increasing the budgets for the police, courts, and jails.

All those white collar crooks sitting on their illgained piles of money want to make sure there are plenty of police to protect them.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I'm not sure how old you are.

I'm in my late 20's.

This sort of gives me a unique perspective as a late, young adult in being able to still grasp the perspective of the youth, and yet still be level headed enough to listen to the older adults.

The youth are most certainly not as you describe, on the whole.

They are highly narcissistic, demoralized, and drugged out of their minds.

Not all of them, but it certainly seems to be a larger chunk than in previous generations.

Remember: Just because it's legal RX, doesn't mean it's not a detrimental, mind-altering substance.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join