It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tanks deploy in Sanaa as top army general defects (Yemen)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Tanks deploy in Sanaa as top army general defects (Yemen)

news.yahoo.com

SANAA, Yemen – Three army commanders, including a top general, defected Monday to the opposition calling for President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down as army tanks and armored vehicles deployed in the streets of the Yemeni capital.

The most senior of the three officers is Maj. Gen. Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, a longtime confidante of Saleh and commander of the army's powerful 1st Armored Division. Units of the division deployed Monday in a major square in Sanaa where protesters have been camping out to call for Saleh to step down.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Looks like Yemen is finally going to go now. The military appears to have deployed tanks to support the opposition.

Now the big question is what happens next?

Will this follow the path of Egypt, with a transitional military government?

Or will it follow the path of Libya into civil war and eventually allied intervention if necessary?

We should find out in the next 48 hours.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Thats my concern... While I am encouraged to see the people protesting their governments actions, and am glad to see some of those governments fall, we should be careful what we wish for.

Sometimes the devil you know beats the devil you dont.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Defections of high-ranking military is pretty typical of a coup d'etat. It's funny that almost every successful popular revolution of 2011 has had a significant military defection within 2 weeks of street demonstrations.

If you all haven't read 'The Prince' and 'The Art of War', you should!

The headlines would make a lot more sense to you!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I don't think that Yemen is like Libya , because Gaddafi has only special forces with a small army while Yemen leader Ali salih has a big army and I never heard that he has special forces like Gaddafi.

just my 2 filss

new topics

top topics

join