It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calls grow for allies to stop air strikes on Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Calls grow for allies to stop air strikes on Libya

rt.com

Moscow condemns the international coalition air strikes in Libya, and so does the Arab League and the African Union. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is in North Africa to discuss the ongoing conflict.
At least 60 people have already been killed as a result of the coalition air strikes, and as the strikes continue, that number is expected to rise.
Russia and many of its allies around the world find it unacceptable, saying that the UN Resolution 1973 spoke only of establishing a no-fly zone that was supposed to guarantee civilian security.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I understand that the bias in the article as it comes from Russia Today. But it is interesting to see, in Iraq, at first there was strong support and now there is weak support. It seems like the same is occuring on a smaller scaler and at an increased speed. I don't support or approve of either the Qaddafi regime nor the military intervention which is currently being carried out.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
I don't support or approve of either the Qaddafi regime nor the military intervention which is currently being carried out.

Do you think that there needs to be some kind of intervention? Or should the world leave Libya alone and let the people fight there own war?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

In todays society, people feel obliged to "help"
Even if that same feeling is blinding them to the truth, and causing more harm than good.

She's got a ticket to ride, and she don't care.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Edit - wrong thread..
edit on 21-3-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

I don't support or approve of either the Qaddafi regime nor the military intervention which is currently being carried out.

Do you think that there needs to be some kind of intervention? Or should the world leave Libya alone and let the people fight there own war?

I know it seems cruel for me to say at this moment, but no, I believe there should be no miltaristic intervention. Governments should impose diplomatic and economic sanctions, but there should be no occupational force or any militaristic action. No-fly zone's are commonly subjected to failure and large numbers of co-lateral damage, which often leaves a dangerous situation where you have commited and you must continue to pursue military intervention. If a government was responsible to its own people, like it should be, then they would avoid this. Secoundly, by pursuing a hummanitarian mission, this opens up the same for intervention in other countries which aren't oil rich. This will stretch resources. If the government dosen't pursue this with other states such as Zimbabwae and/or states which aren't resource rich then it will be seen as both hypocritical and corrupt and many people eyes(not that they care). So in conclusion the costs far outweigh the benefits of such an intervention.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Do you mean like in all the other countries around the middle east\north Africa?
Forgive me if i am wrong but are there not rebellions and uprisings in many countries throughout the middle east\north Africa that all started around the same time as Libya? Why is it only the Libyan rebels that are receiving international intervention?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Vampiri

Let me guess, you want to pin this on oil? USA is pulling up on the shores and sucking out the oil? OR!!!!! Its the only country where the leader is using the military to bomb the uprising indiscriminately..... Some people are just not equipped with the intelligence to navigate through life. pathetic!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ShaunHatfield

Yes but in Bahrain they have shot protesters.

So it's okay to shoot protesters, but not to bomb them?

Ah...I get it now.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

The UK as a stragetic resources there, yes its OIL nothing to do with the supression of Citizens in Lybia, people are under the illusion that, this intervention is what it is all about. As a MP said on the news the other day. It is all about in 3 letters. OIL.

That MP also pointed out with regards to the other killings in other countries in that region,and why there is not intervention in thoe countries, if this is allabout democracy and freedoms. Double standards in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I am totally against this intervention by the UN, but find Russia's call as hypocritical..

Unless I misunderstand, doesn't Russia and China have veto power in the security council? Yet both abstained from the vote to allow this UN action?

dnaindia.com

...UN Security Council adopted a resolution on Thursday night approving the no-fly zone, even as it called for a ceasefire in Libya. Ten of its 15 members voted in favour of the resolution. China, Russia and non-permanent members — India, Germany and Brazil — stayed away...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Yes they did abstain. Puetin is sounding off since he is rethinking about re running for the presidency in Russia. He is just sabre rattling is all.

As for the Arab League the head of it came out today in support of the intervention. As long as civilians on both sides are protected.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Looking for consistant actions by obama ...

If attacking Libya is OK - and not saying it isn't - then what about Yemen and Syria, where "bad men" (as BH calls them) are also killing their own civilians?

And just what is the plan, the the goal for the Libyan operation? No one including obama seems to know.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There will be a closed UN session latr on today,called by China. China might force anothr vote on the Sanctions. Will be interesting to see what China says later on today.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

lol so you can not answer the question then?

If you do not know the answer to why no one is bothering to interfere in the other countries that are experiencing similar situations as Libya (you do not need bombs to stop rebellious uprisings i would suggest you take a peek at the other topics here concerning the other north African and middle eastern countries that are going through the same thing) then please do not post your extremely wrong assumptions as to why i am asking the question.
If you want to know why i am asking the question then repeat ATSs logo to your self until you can not forget it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ahh yes actually giving credence to Russia talking about what is right and wrong
As if Russia has not ever committed aggressive acts against another country
or even its own people. The Arab league must have thought that their people wouldn't notice how busy they have been. It's not like Saudi Arabia has troops in another country right now is it
What countries would lose money supplying Libya with weapons if this continues?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Vampiri

I can answer why, those Presidents, monarchs in those countries a prepped up by Western Countries thats why,the West has stragetic interests in those countries, double standards to say the least,

top topics

join