It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Infamous Painted Mastodon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Hello ATS readers and members, I just wanted to share this exceptional video of a rare species of Elephant, the painted Mastodon. This really must be seen to be believed. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. Eight and a half minutes you will never forget.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Mind=Blown

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I love animals. An enemy of the animals is an enemy to life itself.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I must agree with you. When I saw this video my mind was "blown" as well. I have seen and heard of elephants painting before. But never to this degree of skill, intelligence and self awareness before. We and all life on this planet are truly a gift from God.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FrancoUn-American

I love animals too. All animals, even stupid humans....

These are my pets (children). Some images I captured while they were sleeping.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8cf3c27f32bd.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1fd5bb4823e6.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3ba879b20ee3.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e082494d4f40.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

I love some stupid humans
and my my they are so cute
heres a pic of 2 of my dogs

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
What is scary is it can paint better than I can.

Now I just feel retarded.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
And we think ourselves the better...

I do wonder if he was taught to do this over and over again... as an elephant never forgets.

Even then this is a monumental accomplishment.

:O

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Very interesting, any idea where it is?

I always thought 'art' was one of the main things that made humans different from the rest of the animal kingdom so hmmmmm..... Might have to have a better look into this elephant and where its from, how it was taught to paint etc tonight, I don't like to just trust these elephant tourist places because they don't have the best record.....

edit on 21/3/11 by Versa because: very poor spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I shudder to think what this poor animal endured to acquire this skill.

:shk:

edit on 21-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I actually have heard that the Elephants enjoy painting. They are also treated much better by the trainers in those villages than they are in any zoo.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
well they do say that an Elephant never forgets, so I imagine they could remember awesome details........

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

ELEPHANT PAINTING POPPY FLOWERS

www.youtube.com...

Thailand
SAINAMTHIP

edit on 22-3-2011 by MathiasAndrew because: add video

edit on 22-3-2011 by MathiasAndrew because: bad link

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
All artists learn from teachers and practice, practice, practice. I do understand that it is possible to train them to paint. But not much different from teaching a child how to play the piano.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
As someone who paints I do it because I love it and I can lose myself in it.
learning was all about just being in the joy of it and learning as I went.

These Elephants are painting from the minds eye...
and using symbolism...( that was a symbolic flower )
there was a crude perspective....3d

that might signify a much higher state of being then someone would show in denying them their due
edit on 22-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

yes I noticed the shadowing of the under belly and the leg also. Thanks for your post from an artists pespective.

edit on 22-3-2011 by MathiasAndrew because: add video

edit on 22-3-2011 by MathiasAndrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I shudder to think what this poor animal endured to acquire this skill.

I'd also like to know the methodology used to teach them, I'd feel much happier admiring the whole thing if I could be 100% confident that no cruelty was involved....
edit on 22/3/11 by Versa because: very poor spelling

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
reply to post by loam

I actually have heard that the Elephants enjoy painting. They are also treated much better by the trainers in those villages than they are in any zoo.

All artists learn from teachers and practice, practice, practice. I do understand that it is possible to train them to paint. But not much different from teaching a child how to play the piano.

I doubt it.

Stop Elephant's Painting - it uses inhumane methods

Most abuse is done in secret and behind closed doors.

But there is a growing phenomenon in Thailand and other parts of the world where elephants are trained to paint using deliberate abuse and torture. Many people include celebrated international art galleries see this as a beautiful thing and even an aid to conservation. That it is not!!

Except for a few notable organizations in India and Thailand all elephants used in the tourist industry are trained using a system which involves negative reinforcement by tying the baby elephant down so its legs are fully strength then literally beating it until is spirit is broken or leaving it in a locked cage without food or water.

In Thailand this training method is called Phaa-Jan which literally means breaking the spirit. See National Geographic site for more details: news.nationalgeographic.com...

Teaching it to paint is achieved by issuing voice commands whilst stabbing the trunk with a sharp nail. It the poor 3 year old do not take the instructions easily a metal hook is sometimes driven into its bleeding head, literally forcing it to learn.

And..

Why elephants paint

"Painting elephants" has taken off as an attraction in Thailand and has been popularized by the well-meaning efforts of two Russian artists who endeavored to sell elephant paintings to “save them.”

From the artists’ own accounts of their endeavors, it is revealed that indeed many if not most painting elephants in Thailand are young elephants who have been taken from their mothers and “trained” to perform various stunts for tourists with painting being one more stunt.

The artists recalled that many if not most Thai elephant handlers called “Mahouts” are “indifferent” to their elephant charges. Treatment varied from mahouts that shouted at elephants who failed to paint to those that gently encouraged their elephants to paint.

However,in every picture I have seen of “painting elephants,” the mahouts hold at hand a ready bullhook —evidence of a fundamental reliance on abusive training methods.

Elephants were also frequently chained to posts while they painted. In addition, at all of the facilities with painting elephants, the elephants were force to perform circuslike tricks for tourists. Such stunts are traditionally achieved through fear, force, and intimidation.

Draw your own conclusions.

edit on 22-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Well I had a horrible feeling that was going to be the answer
The problem is while so many tourists continue to oooo and ahhhh over these displays the easy money is going to win over any compassion.

People need to learn to shun these Centres like most of us learnt to avoid the dancing bears. Cruelty for some strange reason seems to come easier to people than kindness

If we want to communicate with animals we can do so using kindness, rewards and team work and people that do so learn way more than they ever get to teach.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
apparently the animals are tortured to achieve what you call as beautiful. this topic has been mentioned a few times on this website.
www.thepetitionsite.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join