It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC World Service to sign funding deal with US state department

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

BBC World Service to sign funding deal with US state department

www.guardian.co.uk

The BBC World Service is to receive a "significant" sum of money from the US government to help combat the blocking of TV and internet services in countries including Iran and China.

In what the BBC said is the first deal of its kind, an agreement is expected to be signed later this month that will see US state department money – understood to be a low six-figure sum – given to the World Service to invest in developing anti-jamming technology and software.

The funding is also expected to be used to educate people in countries with state censorship in how to circumnavigate the block
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
So now that the U.S. govt. intends to get through to encourage the people of Iran and China to overthrow their govts. and become a U.S. puppet just like what is going on in ME and North Africa.

BBC Persian television, which launched in early 2009 and airs in Iran and its neighbouring countries, has experienced numerous instances of jamming. The BBC Arabic TV news service has also been jammed in recent weeks across various parts of north Africa during the recent uprisings in Egypt and Libya.

This is the reason for the leaders of ME and North Africa response by killing CIA controlled protesters as well as destroying or jamming cell phones and internet. They know the U.S. govt. intends to overthrow them without using the military or at least limited support.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

So now that the U.S. govt. intends to get through to encourage the people of Iran and China to overthrow their govts. and become a U.S. puppet just like what is going on in ME and North Africa.

What do you mean "now"?

Voice of America considered a propaganda tool

There's a reason why VOA is banned from broadcasting directly to US citizens - only foreigners are allowed to be persuaded by US Govt propaganda!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Well, seems this is the end of the BBC being imparcial and open about world affairs, such a shame. This is the end of an era. Propaganda from now on , such a pity.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by star child

Except it's all about developing technology, and nothing at all to do with what the BBC actually broadcasts.

If you read the article the BBC is also concerned with its services being blocked, so there is a "natural synergy" between these 2 "freedom loving" western organisations.

There's no reason to read into it that the US is going to tell the Beeb what to broadcast......at least no more than they do by telling HM Govt what to tell the Beeb what to do atm

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Could it be simply to set a precedence in the society as a whole, in order to throw off the fact that in using anti-blocking technology, they must learn the best most covert way of blocking it when the time comes.

I mean low six figures. Even if it is 9 mill. it is actually an inconsequential amount. In other words, a drop in the bucket.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Yea; right. I bet the same technology can also be switched around at little cost too.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The BBC World Service is actually a very good station for hearing about whats going on in the world, I know their funding has been cut heavily in the UK so I imagine they quick to accept any offer of finance from the US. I know it will be viewed as western propaganda by many especially with its close ties to the British foreign office, but it does provide a good source of news for many around the world and is no more propaganda than FOX, Press TV or Al Jazeera

top topics

join