It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first issues with the Bible.

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

I will address the two questions you posed to the best of my abilities. You should first realize the texts were not originaly in English and had to be translated, thus sometimes this is the problem with new readers understanding them.

"after his kind" makes me think that these creatures were based on creatures that existed somewhere else

No, it means they were made within their species ( no cross-species mutation) No spider having the child of a goat...only man is crazy enough to experiment with that kind of mad-science.

What? Let US make? In OUR image? After OUR likeness? What the... How can no one have an issue with this?

It is called the Godhead or trinity...Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

What my former church considered offensive was one of the ways the new church was reaching out to the community, which was family fun night. The former pastor somehow thought it was wrong to have climing walls, viedo games, and etc. It was suppose to be a church after all. It preached the same message, and even my mom pointed that out.

What the main difference between the two was that my former church was mainly the congergation was older members of society. Even the families with kids, the parents were older than us. We just didn't seem to fit in. The church we go to now has many more people around our own age, and many more kids my childern can interact with.

I grew up as a Roman Catholic. Yes, many do see it as the end all be all, because it is extremely large and still has a lot of influence to this day. I do not consider it the end all be all of Christianity. Actually I don't consider it Christian. It preaches out of the same book, but many of the rituals including lent are taken from pagan worship. That is how they were able to bring the pagans into their fold in the early days. I see it as an entity unto itself.

I know Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament, and this is were some of the digging came into play. Finding out where the prophecies are located, and does it actually relate. In my findings, I have actually been finding them, and some are hard to find.

I'll agree some of the scripture is missing. In a way I think God knew it would be missing. There is a place in the Bible where it says there will be a time when we will seek his word, and it will not be able to be found.

We have some basic principles and ideas in common. One major difference is that in the other religions you have to work to gain your salvation. Only in Christianity did God love us so much that he came down to us to give us salvation as a gift. There is a lot to be said for that.

I believe Jesus was more than a remarkable man. This might be a moot point, I don't see how even a remarkable man could have gone through what Jesus did from the Garden of Gesedmie to the cross and lived. From 100 roman soliders punching him in the face, at least 6" thorns being pressed into the base of his scalp and neck where the spinal cord is, to the whipping designed to draw as much blood as possible with all the little barbs put into the whip, him dragging the cross dehyrated and major loss of blood, to nailing his hands to the cross that directly affected his nervous system that could have very well given him a hear attack in his state. I don't see how a man could make it to the cross itself.

Also from personal experience, since I should have been battered, beaten, divorced, and dead by now as well as homeless with my kids taken away due to the lack of food and shelter. Did my God provide, yes. I call it an out right miracle.

It is not so much as intolerance, as based on beliefs. God said witchcraft, devil worship, trying to contact spirits, and ect was evil and not to practice in those things. Of course we are going to be against any form of paganism and witch craft, which includes new age religion. Islam and their jehads I shake my head at.

Islam you could consider the brother of Christianity of sorts. This is based Abraham's older son Ishmael. Isaac and Ishmael fought. Isaac's mom thought that Isaac was in danger, so she had Abraham through Ishmael and his mom out of the camp and into the desert. Since God made a promise to Abraham, he spared Ishmael and his mom. From that branch came Islam. The struggle/fighting between the two continue to this day.

Buddism and Hinduism worship other Gods than the God of the Bible. Where the problem occurs as to why people are against meditiation is that there are some that believe it opens the mind to letting in demons. I'm on the shelf with that one.

I guess it is also how people define tolerance. If tolerance is that you have your belief. We talked about our beliefs. The other person shared why they believe what they believe. The christian shared why the believe in Jesus, and their concern for the other persons fate. Fine, now lets move on. What did you think of the game last night.

Or is tolerance defined that not only do we share and talk about our different beliefs, but you now expect me to totally agree 100% with your faith. Not fine. Neither would I expect the other person to be 100% fine with it if I told them you have to accept Jesus or I will not be your friend any longer. Who are we to push the message in that way? Share it yes. Then let God do the rest.

If just sharing the message with someone else is called intolerant, then I guess you would be right.

I believe it is people who don't like the questions, not God.
It was and is clear. The procedure is to accept that Jesus is the son of God who loved you so much that he died on the cross in place of your sins. If you can accept that, you accept the gift of salvation.

The lifestlye is to love one another. Of course all fall short of that through sin, so we try as best we can. Some people really, really need help. Those new to Christianity may not show any changes for awhile. I saw the gradual change in my husband over the years, and wonder how in the heck did I ever put up with him all those years ago. I believe I changed myself. Neither of us are perfect, and still get angry. We are still a work in progress.

The symbolism I think stems from when God told Daniel that he is going to hide some words until the end times. Only then will those mysteries be able to start to be solved. We will not be able to see what they mean until then, even though many have tried already.

The contradictions could be God hiding messages which would only be revealed only to those who really sought to understand his messages. The bible tells us to seek. It could also be that we don't have the full word, and some of Gods words have been either destroyed, hidden, or people were told that they were false doctrine.

You are not offensive. I thank you for asking the questions and trying to understand. I'm not sure if I can explain things any clearer.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerstellarOne

so much of what you say is the word of man not the word of god. who are you to know god's will

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosComplex

Originally posted by General.Lee

First, a typical Bible study class can take a year to a year and a half to complete, so if you're expecting to get "quick answers" from a conspiracy website, good luck with that.

Secondly, if you really wanted to learn about the Bible and Truth, you would be studying the Bible with a Bible Study class, with a scholastic approach, not trolling websites on the internet. Especially websites dominated by heathens. That's like going to Satan and asking him to tell you about God. Not a very reliable resource.

Seriously?

Unfortunately true. If you want to learn whether to take a mode of thought seriously you listen to one side and then the other side in a structured debate. When you go to this site while looking for credibility in the Bible you will sometimes run into knowledgeable people on both sides, but for the most part you will run into a bunch of screaming idiots. I assure you that trying to read a book while being subjected to idiotic fanboys and obnoxious sarcastic haters you will not be able to take the book seriously.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Pray for tolerance, patience, and forgiveness

That coming from a man who forbids his Catholic wife to pray to Mother Mary according to her own tradition which you were supposed to have agreed to when you married her? Or did you think you had a right to change her to match your belief system? Has it ever occurred to you that some of your beliefs might actually be erroneous?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dalo321
Let’s see, you’re having difficulty understanding the bible’s meaning of words from the start. If you want debate and differences of opinions, then you came to the right place. If you want true understanding then you’ll need the following; A concordance, time, evaluation of the times that different books were written in it, and you just might want to start with how the bible came to be in the first place; ( It’s more than interesting, and 200 or so years after the “during Jesus’ time” story )… but mostly you’ll need spiritual understanding that comes with much study outside the physical plane. You might also want to check all that against Gnostic teachings and early man’s philosophy. Understanding the bible will only teach you to be confused, and to go along with the program, even if it is hypocrisy. If you go by what others tell you, then you’ve missed the point entirely, and would be placing trust with their opinions. However, to answer your first questions, you must first understand that the word God has the meaning of (God, false God) which is simple enough to find using a concordance and the meaning of the word as it was intended in it’s original text.

Below are a few links which should give you more than enough to get started. Good luck.

www.apostolic-churches.net...

www.gnosis.org...

www.world-mysteries.com...

Ok, that's probably going to scare the average person away. Probably just read it and get what you can on the first pass. Deeper is for further studies. Especially, start with the book of John.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The problem with Christianity is that the belief in the bible as a holy book is false. If it came from God, why was it changed? Why are there so many different versions of it? It just does not make sense.

video.google.com...#

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

It's Still ALIVE!!!!

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerstellarOne

other religions claim that what you state is a lie, so which lie to we believe. If you are a truly good person my god will let you and any other truly good person into heavan.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

I grew up as a Roman Catholic. Yes, many do see it as the end all be all, because it is extremely large and still has a lot of influence to this day. I do not consider it the end all be all of Christianity. Actually I don't consider it Christian. It preaches out of the same book, but many of the rituals including lent are taken from pagan worship. That is how they were able to bring the pagans into their fold in the early days. I see it as an entity unto itself.

Christmas on December 25th is a pagan custom (one that the Orthodox don't adhere to) but Great Lent is perfectly scriptural. It is a time in which we emulate the 40 days Ya'hshuah spent fasting in the desert. If you read the Sermon on the Mount, you will see that Ya'hshuah called us to fast. It is a denial of the self and gives us control over our bodies. There is a lot to be said for the spiritual significance of fasting. It is a shame that Protestants had to throw out fasting to adhere to their Sola Fide dogma when fasting and doing good works is clearly taught in the New Covenant.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I haven't hardly read any of this post's many pages and I'm already sick of the Christians lashing out like the people who are questioning the bible are insulting them. Grow up. So many Christians can't even take the slightest bit of criticism of their own religion. Often Christian get so angry at the questioning of their faith that they ream you with insults like your impending journey you'll be making to hell. (You shouldn't judge people, right?)

This is one reason why this former christian stopped believing. Christians are just as bad as any other heathens out there. I've seen a video recently where a crazy christian was thanking god for causing an earthquake in Japan. Not only did she do that but she believes that her church's praying is part of the cause for it. This video made me sick to my stomach how people can lose all of their own humanity within a religion. If people don't learn to deal with others not having the same beliefs how do we ever expect to reach new heights in civilization. Joe Christian telling me that I'm damned because I'm a good person who doesn't believe in the bible is just going to cause problems. Not because I have a problem with him but I'm considered a lost soul in need of saving. Then I get a religion I'm not interested in forced down my throat.

To this day I refuse to ever believe in Christianity again just for the simple fact that most Christians are worse hypocrites of their faith than I am as a non-Christian. Much like the person on the first page that was ridiculing the man asking about the simple use of "US" in the beginning of the bible. The responders basically treating him like a retard for not understanding the bad grammar or bad translation.

You people need to learn how to truely spread your message without ridiculing others. Much like the mystery lady above that was so polite and informative that there is no getting angry at her. And she seems that a simple disagreement ill not send her into a religious rage.
edit on 21-3-2011 by Cataclysmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne

GOD is not an elien, Or a ancient astronaught, He is not a ET that billions of years split his dna and erased mankinds sub concious, I wont sit here and listen to this trot man...... Its garbage, If you have a problem with the bible its not our problem its yours, So deal with it

There is that compassionate, caring, helpful, understanding Christian attitude we have all grown to love!!

I do not understand people who are so devoted to religion. Here you have someone who is trying to understand, is reading the bible for the first time and has some questions, so rather than help him to understand and answer his questions you tell him "it's your problem deal with it"? Is that what Jesus would do?

This classic example of hypocrisy is why there are so many people, like myself, who find organized religion to be nothing more than a control tool and a way for people to separate themselves from others and make themselves feel superior.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Its like when the jehovahs witnesses come knocking.I always tell them, if your belief is only 2 hundred thousand people get into heaven,why are you trying to recruit me.Oh, thats just an analogy too,a story.Those spots have to be filled up already.All these fake religions,bibles,saints,stories, fables.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by General.Lee

yes go to a bible study class learn the bible our way or burn in hell forever. it i s fine to ask question anywhere it is for the OP to decide what he wants to believe

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I do not understand people who are so devoted to religion.

Their devoted because they fear God, the possibility that what they've been taught might be wrong scares them. They have no interest in listening to other views because of that fear of Gods retribution...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Apologies for the length of the next two posts (mind you, this is after reading thru 30 pages of messages. Thankfully, this response is as short as it is
)

Originally posted by ChaosComplex
****Let me start this by saying I am here to ask questions and learn. I have no intentions of bashing anyone for their beliefs, as I accept all ideas for thought.****

My advice, since I'm going on a journey similar to yours, is to read as many of the religious scriptures as possible, especially the Apocrypha, Quran, etc. I'm not Muslim myself, but mention this only because the parts that overlap the Bible are explained in an interesting amount of detail that may help with Biblical clarification. As for contradictions between the two, don't let them confuse you or sway your judgement. Take each as they are and remember the history of each religion (as well as what their observers have done in the past, comparing their actions to what's taught in their scripture), what group of people it was given to, when it was given to them, and where it was given to them - this helps in explaining the differences added on purpose. That's the best way I can think of in regards to being objective about it, but at the same time, open enough to receive the information being given to you.

I've been Christian all my life, but a rather open-minded one. As said before, there's only so much the human mind can comprehend, due to having to make due with what we have, so attempting to believe everything said in any religious book without depth of thought is a downfall. I'm open to interpretations of the Bible with the intention of understanding the message that comes from it so that it strengthens faith but I know I won't ever know everything there is to know and I'm fine with that. The important thing, it seems, is trying to understand and making the attempt to, above all, keeping in mind that only One's meant to be worshipped.

I agree with Mystery_Lady's post. Another thing is to not take the Bible as an exhaustive source. Of course, not everyone's story in the world at that time was described, so likewise, not everything is told to us (like our 'being made in His image' possibly meaning our spirit instead of just our bodies) perhaps for fear that we won't use our brains for what they're there for.

Good luck on the rest of your reading
I hope it goes well for you!
btw, question: we're also alike in wanting to read the Bible in original form. That being the case, what version/translation are you reading? I'm on the search for one but I'm still up in the air about it.

Originally posted by PoorFool
So god would send someone to hell just for believing that he might be an alien?
How is that degrading? Sounds more plausible than the # stories I hear everyday.

Can you really blame a brother for being atheist?
Lol unfortunately, most will say yes.

Looking around at the fact that scientists are still 'discovering' and 'learning' about what's around us, it's obvious that they don't know everything there is to know, so it seems the biggest hope is that you're open minded about the "s**t stories you hear everyday". After all, I mean.. who really believes that something as 'silly' as anti-matter exists?? something no normal person (but the scientists claiming it exists, of course) has ever seen?

Originally posted by DrCarter
It was bound to happen eventually, oh well. This whole freaking out when someone has different opinions than you is sickening. The question was asked how an intelligent person could believe that we evolved from monkeys or some such, well here is a few for you. How can you believe a man lived inside a magic fish (Answer: Because your god said so), In all of the vast universe we where so lucky as to have god knock up a woman with himself so that he could die, for us, so that we can hang out with him for eternity when we die, and if we don't believe that we get to be tormented by devils and fire and blah blah blah because what he loves us and wants us to behave. Why do you believe that, oh a book supposedly written by men who heard gods voice told you, or some guy who asks for ten percent of your wages once a month because god can't do finances. I could go on and on, but I will simply finish with every person is entitled to their opinion, if you do not like it simply ignore and move on. If you choose to stick around and freak out some more so be it, like with everyone else here that is your right, just keep in mind we don't all subscribe to the same source as you.

It's a valid opinion. Suppose it's the same conundrum people are faced with when they contemplate how pyramids were built during the times they were built in - people can either build contraptions to explain the 'method' or say aliens did it lol Both are valid ideas.

The ten percent wages is a crock, and is better explained in other religions (i.e. objectively speaking, the 3rd pillar of Islam describes this better than the other two Abrahamic religions, imo), the main point of that being: we're all in this together. help the poor, care for your fellow man, because there may be a time when you need help in return.' It's just been exploited, of course, but only by men as we've got an insatiable lust for materialism and power.

The answer to your question about belief, though, was what made me answer. There are many pseudo-Christians out there, just as there are many pretenders of anything [which is what I meant in my previous post about someone answering to only 'one' group of people]. The true believers believe because it truly feels right on the inside to do so, just as you truly feel it's right to not believe in such a thing. Which doesn't deserve to be debated by anyone but yourself. You speak of hearing God speak, but if you really did hear Him speak, it might make you believe too.

Then again, if you listen to Metatron, you may not want to hear it, lol:
"Human beings have neither the aural nor the psychological capacity to withstand the awesome power of God's true voice. Were you to hear it, your mind would cave in and your heart would explode within your chest. We went through five Adams before we figured that one out."

Generalizing, since that statement doesn't have to be taken literally (lol), that statement's true: True believers hear that voice and it affects them about as much as... I dunno, falling from the highest building, landing on the ground and surviving would, for example. That's why true faith can't be swayed and how you know the believers (good sheep lol) from the cattle-sheep (bad sheep = those susceptible to mob-mentality). The (bad) sheep attack you if you question their faith or religion. The true believers don't, becuase once you see the truth, and know the truth without shadow of a doubt, you don't hate or entertain the thoughts of non-believers. You don't even argue with them. If anything they're simply pitied (or, as I said in other posts, disregarded due to preoccupation with the journey towards God).

The problem with those that dislike the religious is that they've encountered the wrong type - the types that don't like to be criticized. The violent. The bull-headed, close-minded ones that refuse to listen to any logic besides their own. They're the ones that have been indoctrinated by 'religion' fueled by human emotions, intentions and endeavors. But there IS a difference between those and honest-to-God believers. Just sayin'.

There are two diff. types of sheep: Those that only hear the voice of their Father and those that only hear the voice of their church leader. The special thing about the Bible is that those who cannot hear eventually get to the end, having never seen the forest for the trees the entire time. I suppose that has to do with the mold situation mentioned before.

Those searching for the truth should take a note from that thread that was going around concerning "The Insider" on the GLP board. Since it's already been foretold that there will be scores of people who don't understand, those meant to see and hear the truth, will:

"I would hesitantly add that studying ancient texts will help (although a lot is filled with perversions and wrong translations, intentionally) but this only after a certain level of awakening, you will recognise/remember the small parts which are true."

As for subscribing to different sources, to each their own as long as it works for them and they believe it'll keep their boats afloat.

edit on 3/21/2011 by Debunker75 because: grammar issues + smilie error lol

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

There are a lot of questions I am sure most of us have regarding God and what his intentions are for us as well as who he is. I think a lot of these can be asked in private through prayer and I have found some answers are granted and others are not perhaps because we are not ready for the understanding.

I think its amazing how I can just open the bible and go to the first verse I see and it be something I needed to read perhaps from a previous question or something that is going on in my life. TRY IT! but be sincere.

As to your question.......we don't know what its like in heaven we don't know anything and the chaos and confusion regarding this existence is foretold in the bible.

God does exist and allows all this all to take place because he doesn't want the question as to whether we can do it all on our own to be raised again.

Hope this helps!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

Brother, I'm sorry if I sounded like I bashed on the people in the Catholic church. It is the Catholic church herself that I believe has deceived her people. I'm a former Catholic. One of the main reasons I left is because they kept telling me to pray to Mary, because she intercedes for us to Jesus. Jesus is angry with us. After I read the Bible, I asked where in scripture does it say to pray to anyone other than Jesus. I couldn't find anything. I started digging into other teachings, and couldn't agree with the Catholic teachings. There are even practices within the other christian churches that I don't agree with such as easter egg hunts. There was just one too many foundational doctrines I just couldn't agree with the Catholic church. Remember the Catholic church has hurt many people in various ways over the years.

Call me a hypocrite if you will. So be it. I'm glad to hear you are putting your faith in Jesus. My aunt and grandmother both died believing Mary would save them from Jesus wrath. That is a little too close to the sun god worship for me where the mother of Ra will save the people from Ra's wrath, because she is the only one that can calm him down.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A bit of a repost but.....

When I try to explain the Ancient Alien theory to Christians, they are quickly turned of by the notion of me using the term 'alien' and I'm trying to learn how to get them past the image of Stephen Spielberg's, "E.T.', since that seems to be the only image that comes to their minds...

The bible is indeed a book about OUR history, not the history of the universe. Our creator gods (the Anunnaki) were visitors on an 'Earth mission' and we were genetically engineered with their DNA (Genesis 1:26)

According to the Anunnaki story, which I believe to be true, brothers Enlil was referred to as the 'Lord God' and Enki was referred to as a 'traitor' (aka snake-serpent), so that in fact, Satan was the good guy of the bible and God was the ruthless tyrant-murderer...

Another thing: why aren't Christians able to entertain the idea of 'other-worldly' beings? What do they think the bible is talking about?

One way that I am successful at making them open their eyes to it is talking about the Star of Bethlehem....I explain that it was obviously not a real 'star', as stars do not move (especially the way it is described in the bible-going right, left, hovering over monuments,etc) and that the only star in our solar system is our sun...

that opens up conversation about astronomy and science and then they seem to open their minds

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
(Reiterating another point)

Gods and angels were in fact Extraterrestrial.

Once I asked a christian: "How do you think that the god(s) and angels traveled here to planet Earth?"

Of course they responded, "with their wings"

I'd say "Like bird wings? Utterly impossible, as they had to travel through interstellar space and debris, comets, asteroids,...."

They'd say,"They didn't have to travel through space. They were here in an instant"'

I'd pause and say, "Oh! They had the technology of worm-hole travel."

They'd get frustrated and say " Why are you trying to apply science or technology to this?"

I'd say, "Because it was not magical, only advanced technology which would appear to be magic to ancient people"

Then they'd pause.........

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join