It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first issues with the Bible.

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
Lies. They all equally matter. But unbelievers would never understand. The Bible, to be understood, must read to through the heart. Its not a book you read to analyze like other books. It's a book of holy words meant to help your soul in addition to telling you about Christ and God and how everything in the world was created and why we worship and what happens after this life is over. No book on Earth is like it. That is how I know everything in it is true and told.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Good answer, ag893. I don't think the authors of the Bible intended for their writings to be dissected and intellectually analyzed. If they did, they would have included sources and footnotes. Although they allude to real events, and in other places use metaphor, they were more interested in imparting the mysteries of existence in a language not bound by space-time experience - something the 21st century rational mind cannot handle.

Most attacks on the Bible are the result of too much education and too little wisdom.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
yea, I'll chime in on this.

Genesis is absolutely the most important part of the bible because it is the part that says "GOD created" everything.
And it is for that reason alone that there have been so many deaths because of that damn book.

I wish someone would die for one of my books.

Anyhow, the worst part definately comes from Genesis. 1:16.
where it says something like the, sun was a big light for the day and the moon was a small light for the night. And the stars?
Huh. THAT is the "word" of GOD.

So GOD is either a supernatural being that created everything or he is an extratrarestrial alien that came from space. Either way, he lets us spend several thousand years and countless lives thinking that the world was flat. And the best he could offer us about the sun and the moon is that they are lights in the sky.

Hey GOD, thanks for nothing buddy.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne
reply to post by Akragon

Actually the concept of evil and good, Came from the fruit of the tree knowledge of good and evil rofl. Its written in genesis, Cause man ate the fruit and sinned against God, Theres eyes were opened to what is right and what is wrong, There ya go

Yes, that is true. but didn't God lie to Adam and Eve? He told them they would die if they ate from the tree. They ate, but didn't die. Explain please?
"Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. Genesis 3:1"
(KJV)

A God Day is 1000 years long and Adam/Eve died within 1000 years, so in a sense it was on the same day.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by president

Maybe you would have preferred something more like, "God made it all, so there."

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

When I was about 6 yrs old I sat on my front porch, looked to the sky and began questioning. Why cant I hear my moms thoughts, why cant I feel what she feels, and so on. Why as a little girl was I thinking such thoughts? My point is as a little girl I knew there was "something" out there and it was as if I thought I should have been able to do more things with my senses.
As the years went on I went to church with different friends whom of course were different in denomination. My mom grew up as a methodist and dad grew up as a catholic. With all of that said, when I was pregnant with my son and daughter I read the Bible like a book. From cover to cover. ;-)
I found peace within it but I also had a lot of questions. The more you read the Bible the more you understand.
Each time it is read you will have more insight as well.

To God a 1000 years is one day. Jesus told his disciples we cannot grasp the truth, our minds are equal to that of rocks.
Our society has us so closed minded, and the truth can only be found when you seek Him!
My opinion is God is the energy force that holds everything together. Now, with that said, know that my opinion may change when I read it again. ;-)
To an atheist my question is.... What do I HAVE TO LOSE for believing? Now...ask yourself what you have to lose for NOT believing? Have faith, my friend. The Bible is an awesome book if you truly want to live in peace and harmony with yourself and your neighbor!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

The Bible is an awesome book if you truly want to live in peace and harmony with yourself and your neighbor!

It can also be very confusing if you don't understand the meaning behind its teachings...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
reply to post by president

Maybe you would have preferred something more like, "God made it all, so there."

I rather like,

"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
— Terry Pratchett

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Great topic. I myself, have found some interesting correlations in text written prior to the bible itself. Here's a couple links you may want to read into.

sabbathrock.com...

sabbathrock.com...

You will find striking similarities in the names and events dating back as far as 3000 years prior to the Old Testament even being written. Sumerian culture appears to have been extremely advanced, or at least aware of technologies and medicine practice far beyond that which we even posses today.

I'm not a religious person. I do however, believe that we can find answers in the bible to some extent. I also believe that just the one book will never be enough to put all the pieces together.

Remember the old experiment our teachers would have us do in elementary school about word travel. We would gather a line of say 10 people. The first person would whisper a phrase into the second persons ear, second person to the third and so on. The phrase may have started out being something like "I want a red car." Often by the 10th person, the phrase would be completely different like, "My momma wrecked the art." or something along those lines.... You see what I'm getting at here...

The bible could very well be a vast translation of information as one would perceive it in that particular time frame.

Something I've noticed in this thread as I've been reading the comments. There have been comments like, "The Old Testament is nothing. Read the New....that's where it's really at." OPEN YOUR MIND PLEASE!!! The old testament was the bible until Jesus came along and rose to rockstar status through his ability to teach and do things that amazed some people. So THEY...wrote stories about it, and created a whole new belief system based around this guy named Jesus, who I'm sure was a man of great talent in many aspects of his life. But a religion based around him??? Makes no sense to me AT ALL.

Those very same people that "amended" the Bible are the very same people that still "amend" our constitution here in the US. The same people that create havoc in middle-eastern countries, blaming it on poor government, but really it's oil....whole other topic there....

So dude... great topic for discussion. I appreciate your willingness to put honest questions out there that are real. People can view this how they want. I personally feel there is a much larger unknown story to unfold that when discovered, will unravel the belief system of our very government....now I ask you.... would the big powers really want that to happen? Or will they do what they have always done and scatter the evidence so sparse, that it becomes nearly impossible to uncover the true hidden agenda here? ;-)

Good day to all. May you prosper in the all the joys of life!

edit on 3/21/2011 by forall2see because: made some dots

edit on 3/21/2011 by forall2see because: add link

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2012king
reply to post by Lazarus Short

what did he do before he supposedly created us then? he must have been pretty bored

I think we, or even the whole universe, are God's hobby.

I could understand if he had ONLY this planet as a hobby, but what would be the point of having other planets and stars around us? and also, if he could create us from nothing as a hobby, and he is also nothing, its a bit like me having an empty fish tank that suddenly has a fish appear, followed by water and anything else it may need or want.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here are my issues with the bible.

1. Almost all symbolism and references to knowledge/wisdom/free thinking is demonized & looked down upon. You won't get into heaven if you ask questions, basically.

2. "Turn the other cheek". Submit to whoever strikes you & don't fight back. In other words, obey.

3. The Lord is my shepherd. All I have to say about that is "BAHH!" (see #1)

4. Let's say hypothetically, that the bible was written by the elite of the world at one point, to control the lower classes. If that's true, it worked out PERFECTLY.

5. Books were left out. They were carefully selected for one reason or another. (Enoch for example) You're not getting the whole story, why doesn't that bug you?

I'll add more later

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Thats what Im talking about!!! Love this!! ;-)

What are humans made of? We are made of ......ENERGY! What is everything else derived from???? ENERGY again! Its such a mystical place we live in. WE ARE ON A PLANET IN A UNIVERSE! I mean if you really want to get down to the minute of a cell.....what do you have?

Why would anyone think God is of a human form? Why would anyone think we are alone in the Universe and there are not other beings?

If it is a thought....its manifested so says the Good Book. That tells me that if a thought can be manifested then every thought of creation has a "place".

With all of that said....know this is of course MY OPINION as I began researching A LOT after losing my step son to Leukemia. The church told me where he was is a mystery. I did what God told me to do (in the Bible) and began seeking HIM. I read about 10 books a week for five years. Losing a 15 yr old to cancer changed me forever, but our Energy force of Love kept me sain by leading me to books that helped me understand WHERE this poor baby went, and helped my relationship by simply mixing science with religion......

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
Here are my issues with the bible.

1. Almost all symbolism and references to knowledge/wisdom/free thinking is demonized & looked down upon. You won't get into heaven if you ask questions, basically.

2. "Turn the other cheek". Submit to whoever strikes you & don't fight back. In other words, obey.

3. The Lord is my shepherd. All I have to say about that is "BAHH!" (see #1)

4. Let's say hypothetically, that the bible was written by the elite of the world at one point, to control the lower classes. If that's true, it worked out PERFECTLY.

5. Books were left out. They were carefully selected for one reason or another. (Enoch for example) You're not getting the whole story, why doesn't that bug you?

I'll add more later

with regards to point 4. is that not what the government is doing now and has been doing forever? whats to say the bible is not a creation of a government of sorts from back when it was thought up? ust another way of making people think what you want them to think.....

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The individual reading....cannot grasp it at all when read once, not even twice. I say....seek and you will find. Everyone is made different and will find that that fits their needs or wants...just like the internet. Ha!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by Akragon

The individual reading....cannot grasp it at all when read once, not even twice. I say....seek and you will find. Everyone is made different and will find that that fits their needs or wants...just like the internet. Ha!

actually i've seen many who dedicated their lives to bible study yet still do not understand...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by UndisclosedDesire

I laughed so much I ended up having a coughing fit. Once I can get a straight face again, I am going to put this up in my study. Brilliant,

By the say is there any way of knowing whether said Doctor replied and what that reply consisted of?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

reply to post by Lazarus Short

what did he do before he supposedly created us then? he must have been pretty bored

I think we, or even the whole universe, are God's hobby.

I could understand if he had ONLY this planet as a hobby, but what would be the point of having other planets and stars around us? and also, if he could create us from nothing as a hobby, and he is also nothing, its a bit like me having an empty fish tank that suddenly has a fish appear, followed by water and anything else it may need or want.

He is not nothing. God is not contained within time, or within the created universe. We just can not get our limited, carnal minds around it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

God has promised the restoration of all things. You will see your son again.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

keep thinking like this dont discredit the bible for it understand where the official story comes from and see the errors for in the comparison of the two is where you will find the secrets and the "truth". Go alittle further in hows about Adam was alive almost to the time of the flood yet, so there was clearly a link to someone who knew gods image, yet how far fallen away in a matter of years to world was enough to destroy. Man I could go on and on. If you read a see between the lines of the bible it starts to all make sense

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZiggyMojo
Why listen to someone else in a "sometimes" black suit read and regurgitate the information from a book to you and choose the way you interpret it? Why not do it yourself? It would be equally as productive and probably more informative. How are you so certain that a non-Christian is incorrect, when you cannot even decide who is right within your own belief?

I go to the Church of God, but my pastor calls all of us and himself a bunch of rejects. You really have to know your Bible to understand that. He is thinking of going independent, since the higher ups consider his way of doing things as radical. Ok, we have a climbing wall in the sanctuary, video arcade games up in the area where the sound booth is, and other places, the young kids can play in a burger play land type thing, on Friday night everything opens up to use all the fun stuff along with a blow up bounce house obstacle course along with food, drinks, and more activities. But then again the higher ups also said that he is doing something right in the way he runs things and in his preaching since his church is growing. I know he doesn't preach all fluff, or just the love of God and things you want to hear just to keep you in your seat.

How do I know? In my old church, others would have called his preaching offensive. I also read my Bible. If I don't understand something, I dig for the answer. I admit there are things I don't know, and am not sure I will ever know. I know enough to have made a decision to believe in what it says. I listen to my pastor, since he brings to light things in scriptures that I know I read, but didn't see before. After he explains it, I see it is there, and makes sense. It is like reading Shakespeare. You can have a basic understanding. You can think you really understand the underlying meanings in the play. An upperclassman warns you to buy the cliff notes and study them before the upcoming test on a particular pay your class is going over. When you go to buy the cliff notes, and you do a double take on all the information you missed even after reading it several times since you have a upcoming test on it, and your teacher also wants a ten page report.

Christianity isn't the only one with different sects within their religion. It is a shame that Christianity is divided. Because of arguments of whether this or that scripture applies in today's world, this or that should or should not be done, I only want to hear the fluff or how much God loves me and none of the other things the Bible says, divisions have occurred. I consider the Catholic church to be a separate entity, since many of their rituals are taken from pagan worship, and are specifically told not to do in the Bible such as worshiping idols/the statues, praying to someone other than God/Jesus, repeating your prayers over and over again such as with the rosary and saying ten our fathers and 20 hail marys so you will be forgiven of your sins to step it up having to do some good deed the priest asks you in order for your sins to be forgiven.

Deceitfulness and entered in divided and multiplied the different sects of the church. God knew this was going to happen, and therefore warned us to be wary of a sheep in wolf's clothing. That is why a person needs to know their Bible. The person needs to know the pastor is actually preaching the gospel, not just half the gospel, the salvation message, the blessings of God, along with the judgment and curses if one does not repent of their sins.

I don't mind the different divisions if you want to call it that just because of the way or style the gospel is being preached. Not everyone's taste is the same. Different styles of preaching will get through to different people. It is the bickering, fighting, and insisting a particular passage says this and not that, things have to be done this way, and whether something or not is unholy to do in the church building such as dancing in the isle while praising God. Yet they are all basically preaching the same message. It is more like husbands and wives fighting over where to squeeze on the tooth paste tube. It has to be squeezed from the bottom to get every last little drop. So what if I squeeze from the middle, at the end you can squeeze it from the bottom all you want even using a knife to help you push it out. It will still come out. Then all the buts come in but, but, but, but... But does it really matter?

How do I know non-Christians are incorrect? By my faith in what I read, my experiences, and digging for answers. Each of us has their own questions to answers, and their own journey to find those answers. I do know this, if I'm wrong I know I led a good life trying to help and uplift others. When I die it will be the end or the beginning of a new journey into the mysterious beyond. If I'm right, I know where I'm going, and who I'm going to meet. Those who rejected Jesus have a lot to worry about after they die. I would not wish that type of experience on my worst enemy.

What about those who never heard the Gospel? I believe God to be fair, merciful, just, and will not automatically throw them into the second death in the lake of fire. To me it is one of the mysteries of God, and we will not know for sure what will happen with those who never had a chance to hear. It may be that God will judge them by their actions, or somehow give them a second chance like he did with the Ninivites in the story of Johna. I just don't know.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So what happens if you believe in god and you die and nothing happens? What if one day the world finds out the bible was just a story made up? what if one day a being of some type show sup and leaves the world knowledge of what we are suppose to do with our lives. Would you feel dumb knowing you wasted your time in a belief that dose not exist

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join