It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first issues with the Bible.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Sundowner

Im half way through Dawkins God Delusion, its a must read.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
There's no such thing as "god". Get over it.

There's a collection of ancient scriptures in which primitive people tried to interpret their encounters with technologically far advanced species, attributing them god-like powers because their primitive minds could not grasp their technological concepts. Some call this collection of scriptures "Bible".

Read the book of Enoch, you will be amazed in what detail he describes the technological know-how of these "Watchers" as they are referred to.

For all I know, Jesus was a simple guy trying to smack some common sense into these primitives, but some people decided to make a cult from it called "Christianity" which has served its purpose to control the peasants very well for the past 2000 years, and which has cost millions of lives and destroyed thousands of cultures during its forceful implementation on this planet.

I think that's the reason why ET has not made contact with us again btw.

They're like "Damn .. see what we got from trying to talk some common sense into them the last time we beamed Commander Jesus down. The lunatics crucified him and started religious wars that killed millions, I say we just sit back and watch them a couple more years and the problem will eradicate itself .. so to speak"

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

Thanks Lynda i'll look for it ")

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

Having read the Bible myself, I have come to the same conclusions as you did. To me, the "Gods" in the Bible are like spoiled children that need a spanking. All it was is a group of ETs, most likely Annunaki, fighting among themselves for power, as is detailed in books such as "The Lost Book of Enki: Memoirs and Prophecies of an Extraterrestrial god" The Annunaki went away, men were hungry for their Gods to return, and so came religion. The Bible, in it's original form, was a large collection of stories about the visitors, using terminology of the day.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Visualize creations of the creator -Angels/or Demons of fallen angel kind (favoring what humans call animals and what humans call humanoid!!) Now visualize these creations with intelligence and you have amphibian-insectoid-mammal-reptile-shark ect types. Basically there could be humanoid type mammals who humans were imaged after and snake types who the serpent was imaged after. There may even be dragons,
but I think they are elder/ancient.. So its not hard to except that some out in space may favor what humans call animals.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy
reply to post by ChaosComplex

I think you'll find that Christians, on the whole, are pretty closed-minded. If something is not exactly like it says in the bible, then that something is wrong.

I spent a year in close contact with an evangelical church for a research project, and they are quite out of control (yet also very controlling of their "sheep", oddly enough). The techniques used to control the flock were very cultish, and the techniques used to spread the gospel were very much like multi-level marketing.

Questioning was allowed to a certain extent, but disagreement with an issue or concept was not. In one instance of disagreement, one guy tried to "rebuke" me in the name of Jesus.

My research ended at that point, as it was just too crazy.

Good luck with your research, and may your experiences be better than mine.

I too have come across this effect myself. You simply not discuss the Christian religion with a Christian, unless you are actually in the cult yourself, then you have better toe the party line. I have been rebuked myself, and told that the Devil speaks from my mouth. I have been told it is a Sin to question God, Jesus, or the Bible in any way whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
i dont get it, you seem to have answered your own questions.

'our' suggests that there was more than 1 present at creation.

id tell u who but i dont want to ruin the ending..

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne

I have questioned the thought of elohim being an ET, but that just dosent make sense, Because we know who God is, He sent his son to the earth, God in the flesh.

Hummmm, sent his son to earth - From where exactly ?

Where did he send him from?

Another planet in out vast universe?........much more likely.

You insult my intelligence when you think 'he' just popped up from no-where, he has to have come from some where. And if you say 'heaven' then what is this? has anyone any proof of this place?

The bible was man made for church profit. Its just a book, you guys would worship a stone if it had been drummed into you from birth that it was 'god'

Its just a cult.

come on now, wake up mate

Peace.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosComplex

What? Let US make? In OUR image? After OUR likeness? What the... How can no one have an issue with this?

How could God NOT be man and woman?

God is both. God is the ying and the yang. The light and the dark, the good and the evil. God is everything and nothing. The Alpha and the Omega. The beginning and the end. God is the we.

God is plural, use critical thinking, not science fiction fantasy.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I think that the use of OUR and US is crazy in that paragraph.

The OUR and US simply refers to Jesus Christ and God.
In creation God was the architectural designer and Jesus using God's Holy Spirit did the creating off of God's design. Jesus is truly the great carpenter of the universe. But he used God's blueprints.

This is why you need to read the whole bible, to gain understanding.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne
its not that we get angry or defensive about this.

But when you call god and alien being, Or some pysudo astronaut man, Its kind of degrading against the thought of God, because why would we need to look anywhere else to our creator>? we are made in HIS IMAGE, just look in the mirror, He is closer than our skin, because gods spirit is in us.

I have questioned the thought of elohim being an ET, but that just dosent make sense, Because we know who God is, He sent his son to the earth, God in the flesh.

So why can't God(s) and angels be alien? Or is it that people who are against the Ancient Alien Theory assuming that all 'aliens' have to look like E.T.?

Since we are made in THEIR image, that would entail that our creator gods were humanoid-looking....

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

"After their kind" means according to their genotype, their genetic germ line. I presume because hybridisation is a no-no.

Later in Genesis you will read that "the sons of God" (angels?) did the dirty with the daughters of men and created a race of "earth born" hybrids that God assigned the Hebrew people to wipe out. It's like there's heaps of hidden history in there if you understand what is being said.

God, in Christian terms is triune. Three persons in one. This does not disagree with that.

The more I read, the confuseder I get.

I thought I had read about all the creatures on earth, except those in the ark with Noah, being drownd in the great flood.

If this be true, how were there any of these hybreds of "the sons of God" left to be killed by the Hebrew people?
The Hebrew were not established as a people until after they left Egypt; or atleast after the cutting of the covenent with Abraham.

This is a long strech of time.

Were they killed by the flood or did they simply lie dormant for a few thousand years?

I think it helps people make a better argument if they keep their facts and time lines straight.

I seem to remember reading somewhere in the Bible, that it was a man's faith which is required as well as his works to be admitted into heaven. To me, faith is one of those things which can not be "beaten" into someone.

If that were so the Spainish Inqusition did more for the kingdom of heaven than all the preachings of Jesus.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

So why can't God(s) and angels be alien? Or is it that people who are against the Ancient Alien Theory assuming that all 'aliens' have to look like E.T.?

Because it's fine to imagine a magically being with magic powers that exists is some quasi state between our universe and the ether. But once you attempt to apply any science to it and postulate that god, and what we have come to understand about him through the christian bible, could easily be explained with advanced beings. Heck, take any one of us and our knowledge and a bit of technology back (while the batteries last) and you too could be a god.

I see nothing in religion that completely rules out the possibility and find it hilarious that I'm stupid for not believing in a magical being with super powers, but it's crazy to believe in the possibility of aliens.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Aside from the obvious reasons from nature that there is a God, consider prophecy. The Bible predicts that Israel will become a nation again, be the center of world attention, be a strong military force for such a tiny nation, and that the Arab nations would seek a peace treaty with Her that would be broken in the end days, which ushers in a time of tribulation such as the world has never seen. It further predicts the events of the end days to the letter of what we see happening all around us. All these events are novelty events. Daniel ch 12 predicts that men will run to and fro and that knowledge will multiply at the time of the end. The Bible gives us information regarding our nature of duality, where light is both a particle and wave. Genesis and the rest of the Bible uses light as the mechanism to create reality and to enlighten consciousness. John 1 tells us that the word (wave) created the universe. I could keep going and going and going here but it's rather obvious that we are incapable of scraping even an edge off the beauty and truth found in the Bible. Only a fool says there is no God. All of nature and reality is one big metaphorical mirror pointing you right toward God. It really doesn't matter where you look. Wake up!!

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
There's no such thing as "god". Get over it.

There's a collection of ancient scriptures in which primitive people tried to interpret their encounters with technologically far advanced species, attributing them god-like powers because their primitive minds could not grasp their technological concepts. Some call this collection of scriptures "Bible".

Read the book of Enoch, you will be amazed in what detail he describes the technological know-how of these "Watchers" as they are referred to.

For all I know, Jesus was a simple guy trying to smack some common sense into these primitives, but some people decided to make a cult from it called "Christianity" which has served its purpose to control the peasants very well for the past 2000 years, and which has cost millions of lives and destroyed thousands of cultures during its forceful implementation on this planet.

I think that's the reason why ET has not made contact with us again btw.

They're like "Damn .. see what we got from trying to talk some common sense into them the last time we beamed Commander Jesus down. The lunatics crucified him and started religious wars that killed millions, I say we just sit back and watch them a couple more years and the problem will eradicate itself .. so to speak"

edit on 21-3-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I think your title says it all, "My first issues with the Bible".

There are many more to come! You are only on page one. The Bible is full of contradictions, you need to decide for yourself whether they were written down incorrectly and go with the masses' version or start questioning every part of it and you'll be in for a long ride that will leave you very jaded.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I'll just say this..

Scientists just as early as the 70's realized the entire universe is made up of 3 things.

Time. Space. Matter.

4,000 years ago the first line of the Bible states "In the Beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth".

Beginning. Heaven. Earth = Time. Space. Matter.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by watcher3339

Having read the Bible myself, I have come to the same conclusions as you did. To me, the "Gods" in the Bible are like spoiled children that need a spanking. All it was is a group of ETs, most likely Annunaki, fighting among themselves for power, as is detailed in books such as "The Lost Book of Enki: Memoirs and Prophecies of an Extraterrestrial god" The Annunaki went away, men were hungry for their Gods to return, and so came religion. The Bible, in it's original form, was a large collection of stories about the visitors, using terminology of the day.

Bravo! Totally agree!

When I try to explain the Ancient Alien theory to Christians, they are quickly turned of by the notion of me using the term 'alien' and I'm trying to learn how to get them past the image of Stephen Spielberg's, "E.T.', since that seems to be the only image that comes to their minds...

The bible is indeed a book about OUR history, not the history of the universe. Our creator gods (the Anunnaki) were visitors on an 'Earth mission' and we were genetically engineered with their DNA (Genesis 1:26)

Glad to see that you are very familiar with Enki and Enlil, and the rest....with that in mind are you able to see (like myself and others) that Enlil was referred to as the 'Lord God' and Enki was referred to as a 'traitor' (aka snake-serpent), so that in fact, Satan was the good guy of the bible and God was the ruthless tyrant-murderer...

Another thing: why aren't Christians able to entertain the idea of 'other-worldly' beings? What do they think the bible is talking about?

One way that I am successful at making them open their eyes to it is talking about the Star of Bethlehem....I explain that it was obviously not a real 'star', as stars do not move (especially the way it is described in the bible-going right, left, hovering over monuments,etc) and that the only star in our solar system is our sun...

that opens up conversation about astronomy and science and then they seem to open their minds

Anyways, Star for your post!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by ButterCookie

Because it's fine to imagine a magically being with magic powers that exists is some quasi state between our universe and the ether. But once you attempt to apply any science to it and postulate that god, and what we have come to understand about him through the christian bible, could easily be explained with advanced beings. Heck, take any one of us and our knowledge and a bit of technology back (while the batteries last) and you too could be a god.

I see nothing in religion that completely rules out the possibility and find it hilarious that I'm stupid for not believing in a magical being with super powers, but it's crazy to believe in the possibility of aliens.

Exactly correct!! I've even asked a christian: "How do you think that the god(s) and angels traveled here to planet Earth?"

Of course they responded, "with their wings"

I'd say "Like bird wings? Utterly impossible, as they had to travel through interstellar space and debris, comets, asteroids,...."

They'd say,"They didn't have to travel through space. They were here in an instant"'

I'd pause and say, "Oh! They had the technology of worm-hole travel."

They'd get frustrated and say " Why are you trying to apply science or technology to this?"

I'd say, "Because it was not magical, only advanced technology which would appear to be magic to ancient people"

Then they'd pause.........

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerstellarOne

You dont understand that abusing the word of God means adding to it? have you not heard the scripture that all sins will be forgiven, But those who blaspheme the holy spirit, There sins will not be forgiven.

Let us look at that word, Blaspheme, shall we?

Word History Date of Origin 14th c.
Blaspheme has maintained a remarkable semantic and formal stability since its origins in Greek blásphēmos, which meant ‘speaking evil or profane things’ (blas- is related to blaptikós ‘hurtful’; the -phēmos element denotes ‘speaking’, and is related to phēmí ‘I say’). The derived Greek verb blasphēmein was transmitted via ecclesiastical Latin blasphēmāre to Old French and thence to English. Blastēmāre, an altered version of blasphēmāre, produced blame. See also blame

Holy is from the German and Dutch word "heilig" and means, "whole."
Spirit comes from the Latin word, spīritus, which originally meant "breath."

So, to recap, if one speaks evil or profane things to the whole breath, that is a sin. Pretty easy to avoid that one, wouldn't you say?
This exercise is simply to show that things are lost in translation. The "Bible," read that "Torah," or first five books of Moses the Sumerian, was written down in Aramaic, then no doubt translated to Hebrew. Then translated to Greek, then to Latin, the language of the Holy Roman Church. It was in Latin that the Priests read the Mass from, and Roman church scribes copied it down, supposedly word for word, so that other churches could have a copy. I have come to believe that the New Testament came from this. The Holy Roman Church needed a back story for their "Savior/Messiah" so they wrote a story, using other stories of the day, and of history to flavor it just so. The Council of Constantine put it all together, and bingo, we have a Holy Bible! Of course this process took many years.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Is it possible that both sides are correct?

Could "God" exist and have created countless "earths" and "children"? Could there be a spiritual world and power outside all the sciences?

Religions and the books that support them are man's attempt to interpret and wield many different things and that's understandable.

As an Ex-Christian, I looked for answers for years (pre-internet was tougher), NO ONE had real answers to the most simple questions, and too many resulted in "you MUST have faith" and more importantly, you MUST "shut up" as not to sour the others with this.

I KNOW there is a spirit world, something beyond this little existence that science cannot explain. This I have "faith" in. I also KNOW religion is a control mechanism for most, but for some a very positive and useful experience.

The bible for those looking for a spiritual answer works because it can "speak" to any individual in a myriad of different ways, it was DESIGNED to be this way. The bible does not work for those looking for a more scientific or even plausible answer for the same reasons. It's just too easy to find flaws. I suggest a less black and white approach. The bible has SOME truth in it, but most certainly not all or even most of it in my opinion. Science doesn't have all the answers either. I found the most usable answers came from people with this outlook, not one way or the other, but with a truly open mind to all possibilities without ditching your critical thinking skills.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join