It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first issues with the Bible.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
I also think God/Jesus could be an alien.

For example,

2 Peter 3:8—‘one day is like a thousand years’

It's well known that traveling at or near the speed or light significantly "slows down" time for the traveler.

Also I heard that when you age you perceive time as going by faster or something. Anyways, i'd just chalk all this up to religion (or at least any organized sense of it) to BS and hundreds of years of the bible being re-written.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
ok. first off, i want to state that i would consider myself to be associated with the christian faith, however i seat my faith in my own understandings of the Word.

a translation i like of genesis states right off the bat: in the beginning there was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

this translation from the Hebrew in it's orginal Herbrew would seem pretty repetitive as it would simply be a variation of the same "word" three times laying the ground work for the later trinity right out of the gate. the Word and the name of God being the combination of the first and last letters of the Hebrew aleph-bet.

what makes this so powerful in meaning for me is no matter how it has been translated since, assuming it was translated properly into Hebrew in the first place, you can construct your own name for God. now im not saying that this is the right thing to do, but God has many names to begin with anyway because of this.

the same "schema" for a religion exists pretty much in every culture. much like the telephone game where a message is passed along a line of people from ear to ear, these stories of cosmogenesis have passed from person to person over the ages and was finally put down onto paper (more than likely originally in some variation of cuneiform). many of the stories in the bible (mroe specifically the torah) can be related to those found in sumerian texts.

the main thing you want to get out of genesis is the introduction of the knowledge of good and evil to man. no matter how you try to interperet this the brass tax lies in the concept of duality or opposites in this case. the hindu, if i am not mistaken, refer to the physical plane as the world of opposites. within this world everything has its opposite and in as much there exists a karmic bond between everything. the old cliche "what goes around comes around." this is also seen in the teachings of jesus (which i saw mentioned in another reply) "offer up the other cheek." if you know that you have done something wrong at some point in your life, then why not accept punishment for it? the price for original since is death, but only God can execute this punishment. God came to earth in the form of a man, his own Son, and paid this price for all of mankind and forgave us all through the
Holy Spirit, assuming we accept these teachings and learn from them.

i believe in reincarnation. Jesus is a prime example of a reincarnated soul. we know it is possible, if we believe this. this doesn't stray far from a buddhist/hindu concept of reincarnation and karmic principles. depending on your karma you may or may not be welcome in certain circles in your reincarnated life. the concept of a heaven on earth or even a hell/purgatory on earth is not that foreign to other religions and if reincarnation is possible within a christian paradigm then it is even conceivable that heaven is a place on earth within a christians' perspective.

many people (imho) are beginning to realize that they can find their own way to spiritual or religious "contentment" through their own self initiated redefinition of their old religious beliefs.

an example of redefinition of a philosophy that has been warped over time is that of bruce li and kung-fu. he attempted to show the world how this martial ART had been mis-interpreted and forgotten over the years. he attempted to reorganize a tradition that had been lost through time, but many (imho) could not see it. it isn't much of a stretch to say that bruce li did for martial arts what Jesus did for judaism. (i would like to clarify i am NOT trying to say bruce li was some sort of prophet, but merely a great thinker and philosopher who was misunderstood in his own time)

if you made it this far i hope that what i have said made some sense to you on some level. it took me decades to come to some of the smallest conclusions on what to believe and how to interpret some of what i have talked about here, i only hope that these few examples and analogies help the OP in his quest of understanding as i can sympathize with his position.
edit on 21-3-2011 by thegiftbearer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

also, doesnt it say something about eating from the tree of knowledge will cast you out of eden.

so everyone that open the bible instantly use it for knowledge. so meh.
out of eden u go..

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Disillusioned_Youth

You know...this whole "too many options to choose from so I won't pick one" has never made sense to me...

That's like my doctor telling me there are too many medicines to choose from so he's not going to prescribe anything.
or maybe you like this one...

2 + 2 = impossible to know because there are sooooo many different numbers....

A large....WTF?

A2D

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ashyr

Incredibly wrong...

The beginning of wisdom is the fear* of God...
If you fear* God, you keep His commandments...
If you keep His commandments, you will STAY in Eden....

Pretty simple stuff

(*)more likely "a deep reverance"

A2D

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
GROW UP OR DIE

religion is the cause of all evil on this earth...it created by man,to control man.

GROW UP OR DIE

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I was born and raised in the southern baptist religion of christianity. By the age of 18 I started percieving exactly how you are percieiving the bible. Right from the first book of genisis we see signs of alien creation. In "our" image. Our has a diffenate diffenition which is more then one. Keep reading you will be stuned at what you are about to learn.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
skip ahead and read about jesus man, the rest of the book matters very little...

Hahahah thats awesome.

So true.

But proverbs makes you a little wiser also, if you can lift the veil and see past the words that is.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
This will be deleted in a matter of hours.
There are lots of christians on here who wont hear a bad thing said against there fictitious god/book.
The bible is 100% truth.....heres another christian bashing thread.....why only bash the bible....blah blah blah

Actually, there are many on here who believe in a Creator, God, Gods and/or Sons of God who have a fine appreciation for there being excellent examples for the saying "There are no atheist in foxholes" and are perpetually amused by those who stand firmly with Darwin and their purported ancestors, the apes.

These are particularly special times for those with ears to hear and eyes to see, as it is apparent to us that we will not have the responsibility of defending our faith much longer.

As the crowd pressed in on Jesus, he said, "This evil generation keeps asking me to show them a miraculous sign. But the only sign I will give them is the sign of Jonah.

7 “Look, he is coming with the clouds,”
and “every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him”;
and all peoples on earth “will mourn because of him.”[c]
So shall it be! Amen.

8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.” Amen

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
At school we covered all the usual religious bits because we had a lesson on religion every day. I use to ask questions because of natural curiosity many of which got the ruler answer straight? Yes, informative No

It wasn't until finishing college etc that I actually got down to reading the whole book. What an eye opener, I cannot imagine how the teacher would have told some of the stories within the bible. The concubine slung out the door and ravaged throughout the night then cut into bits would have taken some explaining.

We all hear that religion is the means of setting the morality standards. I wonder if people sat down and read the book, would have a problem with a number of its stories. In defence of this, one can raise the point that many believe that the stories either are allegorical, explained by use of a code etc. I wonder whoever set the code or allegory in motion initially, might not have achieved more if they had gone about giving stories a simple, straightforward and understandable meaning. As we often hear there is some form of secret, or 'mystery' teaching not for the commoners, perhaps another book might have been in order - it would have clarified the situation we have today.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
During the construction of these religious books—which were indeed fabricated from the ancient dreams of primitive priests to control a uneducated population—only “God” had the power to eradicate the human species. Now, with the power of nuclear warfare, man also has obtained the power to self-destruct the human race.

Hence it seems that religions are continuously looking for the end in modern society,they’re always looking for Armageddon. In the Christian faith, I don’t really understand what's so paramount about this supposed Tribulation that so many Christians are certain will occur. By my understanding this Tribulation is a delusion, which every single human being whom disagrees with and/or denies Christ, will be slaughtered in the name of blasphemy. Is that not itself evil? What is so grand about the end of days, which so many religions look forward to? In the world we live in today with all the tense and strenuous relations, the war and pressure, and the array of confusion that pollutes our understanding, do we really want someone whom believes in such nonsense as the Tribulation in the White House,or any power stucture for that matter.

Religion has to end for mankind to survive....hence my earlier comment the human race needs to grow up or die.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Here is something that bugs me.... if god is everywhere and everything, surely that would make him a being of some sort. what created him? if he exists, he must have come to existance somehow, and if he did, he cant have created himself..... and i know this will get answered with the whole "gods time is different and we have no comprehension of it" or whatever, but everything has to start somewhere right? and also i know this is really going to make a few people mad, but has anybody ever thought that maybe mary wasnt a virgin, and it was all just a story that got out of hand? i think you know what i mean.....

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

What translation of the bible are you using? King James? NIV? New American? Catholic? Hebrew? Just curious, because silly mistranslations can happen, or what have you between editions and such. To really investigate this, you'd need to learn hebrew and read the oldest version you could find, I think.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The first problem of the bible and religion is that it indoctrinates children who can't think for themselves and chose right from wrong and thats not right, thats the job of the parents and not the job of a simple priest.
The second problem with those two is that it prays on the weak and helpless and thats just wrong too.

These are the two ways religions like christianity get strong and can get lies to be accepted so easily.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DrCarter

Read 'THE SHINING ONES' by Philip Gardiner. Very very good read.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thegiftbearer

Thank you for this insight. I thought it was well thought out and coherent. This kind of makes me want to push the book "Is God A Delusion?" (A response to The God Delusion and others) which is also insightful, level-headed and well-thought out reasoning, like yours.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Lol as stated somewhere else in the post this will be deleted by the bibles Blind followers.
I went to a catholic school when i was younger friend and used to ask many questions, and was later found banished from the school never to return, but i supose thats to do with writing 666 on my diary etc,
Oh well at least i had fun out of A boring subject.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jayksy

Hi Jayksy

May I recommend The Genius of the Few by Christian and Joy O'Brian one of the most illuminating and interesting books about the Shining Ones I have ever read. I really recommend it especially as O'Brian was a geologist in Iran and spoke a number of ancient languages.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Pop quiz time people!

How many people here on ATS have ever actually thought that maybe Satan DID win the war in Heaven???? This isn't about blaspheming, or denigrating the supposed word of God. This is an honest question. In the Bible, Satan/Lucifer is known as "The Great Deceiver", right??? And looking at today's world, there are MANY different Religions, all claiming to be "The Word of God". And a fair few of them claim that if you don't believe in said Religion, you will go to hell. And basically all 3 major Religions either believe and/or mention God, Jesus etc.

Now think of it this way. You are Satan. You have just won the war against God. In order to keep God from rising up, and taking back control, you need more Souls to be warriors/soldiers than God, in order to stop him from rising up, and challenging Satan, in order to take back control. How would you do it??? Get humans to sin. How do you get people to sin??? Keep them confused, and create competing Religions, stating that each Religion is the 1 true Religion, and that you will go to Hell if you don't follow said Religion. Boom, everyone starts going to Hell for not following the "True" Religion that God intended. As I said earlier, Satan also goes by the name "The Great Deceiver"! So maybe, just maybe, he DID win the war against God???

I hope this makes sense, I'm tired as right now. And for the record people, I'm no Satan worshipper. Just trying to present an alternative veiwpoint.

Edit - An interesting book I once read, that I suggest everyone, including Christians, read, is called "Satan: A Biography". It goes more in depth about the names that is given to him, and why he is also known as "The Morning Star" etc. It also presents good evidence that he was actually God's Judge, before he got booted from Heaven. It's a really good read.

edit on 21-3-2011 by TerribleTeam2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerstellarOne

Why is it that your god is commonly accepted as the 'creator' when he was only brought into light about 3500yrs ago? Why didnt other acient civilisations worship or documentate this god? Also dont you find it awefully strange that there are so few documentations of the birth of gods son, Jesus. Im pretty sure if the creator of all things had a son on earth then it would be documentated absolutly everywer! Simply impossible to accept.

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join