It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surreal Video of the Japanese Tsunami taken aboard a ship at sea !!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This video almost looks Hollywood . As I can imagine what was racing through the crew's minds
as they see this massive wall of water aproaching them.

Death rolls under their ship , heading towards the coastline.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Holy crap!!!!
2nd Line.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I wonder if they knew the devastating effects that wave would render on their fellow countrymen just minutes later? I wonder also if an EQ can be felt by ships at sea?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This is the Japanese coast guard by the way.
Its a big wave....but im sure they have been through worse given their job

EDIT: The tsunami gains height as it approaches shallow water...this swell looks about 10-15ft. At sea waves can be a lot bigger than this

I know id have been throwing up all over the place if id have been aboard lol
edit on 20-3-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wow, that just totally gives me the willies! I can't believe how calm the crew on that ship are as they crest that wave?!?! One guy goes "ewwww" like someone pushed him hard on the swingset!!! Either fools or seasoned seamen... or both!
edit on 3/20/2011 by Scoundrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

According to the caption they are 5 km offshore so I imagine it would have gained a lot of height by the time it hit land!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I think at the time they were thankful that they survived the event without any damage.
But yes that did cross my mind , as this wave got to shallow waters its size probably doubled.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

Heck. All I can say is thanks for the visual

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
That's crazy!!It must have been an overwhelming feeling If they were aware of its destructive path

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
You can see the next one in the line up after they make it over the first one.. 6 feet from back of wave means 12 feet front of wave,, That's double over head..

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Amazing....in a tragic way. It doesn't look big compared to some videos like when the title wave hit the cruise liner. Either way that wave we just saw cause so much loss and devastation. Very eerie.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Here's a longer version:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

Awesome ...thanks for the extended version. You know I'm sure they continued filmiing the back of the
wave.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Now that was crap! There are way worse in YouTube...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Scoundrel

I served in the US Navy and was stationed aboard ship all throughout. This wave, while 'creepy' indeed, is nothing. The talking you hear is nothing more than 'quartermaster, take a heading, helmsman left half rudder, continue to such and such course, or on my mark, steady as she goes ect. Any other talk on the bridge is done in whispers, if not by the Officer of the deck, or the Jr Ensign. Now I'm sure the O.D had something to say, and that the Capt was called to the bridge immediately.

I have been in storms in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, where my ship would ride up and up and up, finally crest, then go down, slamming the 1/3 of the ships bottom that got exposed while cresting. That part would create a splash that soaked the ship. After you crested, you go into the trough, at the bottom of the trough, you faced a wall of water that was higher than the tallest part of the ship. Then you accelerate up the wall, and crash down again. Sometimes the bow/derrick arms (amphib LST) would penetrate the wall. That WAS scary.

There is not a ride in the world that comes close to that. There are no seat belts, there is no pimply faced guy to unbuckle you at the end in 2 minutes, and no girlfriend to make fun of for being scared. At times it was life or death, no reset button, and nobody for hundreds of miles.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by oldenough

2 things.

First, if I was in one of those situations that you described, I would mess my pants and cry for my mommy.

Second, this video isn't to be a pizzing contest about boats and waves. It's to show the tsunami wave before it hit Japan.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Watching that video made my stomach knot. I can't imagine cresting a wave that I know was going to cause so much death and destruction... Floating over a wave that was heading full steam towards your home and family knowing you are safe and not knowing whether they are or not.. That's just a feeling I hope I never have. Remarkable footage, it really makes you think.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

2 things.

First, if I was in one of those situations that you described, I would mess my pants and cry for my mommy.

Second, this video isn't to be a pizzing contest about boats and waves. It's to show the tsunami wave before it hit Japan.

Thanks
Agreed , I'm sure there are many out there that have experienced much larger swells or waves
than what is shown here. Point is this ' mundane ' wave was on its way to killing thousands , destroying Japan's
economy and bringing the world dangerously close to a nuclear disaster.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Is everyone in the US Navy so modest? FYI that wave that you call "nothing" killed a whole bunch of people.

Cool video by the way, and thanks for the new perspective. I've been over some big waves myself. Nothing like Captain "oldenough" America, but it always gets my adrenaline going. SF

BTW L.HAMILTON, I love the photo for your avatar, I've had it as my desktop wallpaper for awhile. One of my favorite photos.
edit on 3/21/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

A friend of mine is the captain of a large vessel that was traveling between Guam and South Korea on the 21st. He stated that even where they were (North of Japan), they experienced a wave which caused their ship to list 40 degrees. Shook them up a bit. Personally, I would have freaked out!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join