It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

help me quite tobacco!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
i'm such an idiot.
at 47 i've been an on/off smoker since i was about 13.
i was doing really well for the past months till i went and had a few beers with a friend who smokes.
i bummed a few and have been smoking like a fiend again for the last few days.
i really want to quit for good, but my addictive personality makes this really difficult.
please, the grosser the images and explanations the better.
any other fiends want to join me?
i know i'm slowly committing suicide, when i go for my hikes i can feel the elevation more than i ever had in the past.
please feel free to call me names, give me a hard time etc........i deserve it.
mods, if possible, cut a bit of slack, i'm asking for it.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
lift weights

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Smoking is wicked retarded. You smell gross and are terribly unattractive to the opposite sex. You'll end up dying a horribly painful death, shortly after you have a giant hole bore out of your throat. That's NOT hot!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

OHH! Feel for you big time, but as far as advice goes I can't give any! I have exactly the same issue as you!

I have tried to give up smoking many times, but to no avail. The thing is I just like the experience and the effects of tobacco.

I only use natural tobacco now with no wetting agents or added chemicals. And have managed to cut down a lot. It is such a pleasure and a shame that it has adverse health effects.

Good luck!
HOTA

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Man hypnotism has had the most success amongst my friends. The 3 that used it, have not smoked since( 3yrs+), and one of the guys was totally skeptical about it all. One has to allow hypnosis to work, not so much in a believing, but recognizing what the therapist is trying to do, and becoming aware of what all is going on when we smoke, and desire to smoke, and how to take some control over the process. Best wishes for sure!
My .02

Peace,
spec
edit on 20-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
i'm such an idiot.
at 47 i've been an on/off smoker since i was about 13.
i was doing really well for the past months till i went and had a few beers with a friend who smokes.
i bummed a few and have been smoking like a fiend again for the last few days.
i really want to quit for good, but my addictive personality makes this really difficult.
please, the grosser the images and explanations the better.
any other fiends want to join me?
i know i'm slowly committing suicide, when i go for my hikes i can feel the elevation more than i ever had in the past.
please feel free to call me names, give me a hard time etc........i deserve it.
mods, if possible, cut a bit of slack, i'm asking for it.

Thats if you believe tobacco causes cancer and lung disease. My grand parents have been smoking for over 60 years...they are in their 80s and as fit as a fiddle. No cancer...no lung problems....i think its a genetic thing to be honest. Some people can smoke for decades and stay cancer free...others smoke a few years and are riddled in cancer...kinda shows that not all people are effected in the same way.

If you have an addictive personality....you wont give up. You will spend a fortune on alternatives, like Nicorette gum and patches...still taking in the addictive nicotene and paying 2-3 times the amount for the pleasure.So you become hooked on them instead...what a scam

You need to have determination and you must want to quit. People telling you bad things about smoking will have no bearing on whether you do or dont give up.

Ive quit several times in my life...but to be honest i breathe in more crap when i go outside my front door than i do from a cigarette....so smoking 5-8 a day isnt really a problem i think about in life.

Do what you gotta do dude, no one here will make a difference to your habit/addiction

link   
reply to post by PoorFool

i do. am actually quite strong.
6'1'', 220, can bench 250 multiple times.
i hike tons, but do notice being out of breath on steep hills, along with noticing elevation more and more.

link   
For me, I just randomly stopped one day. Find an activity you love and then focus on that when ever you want a cigarette, it's all in your head and you can overcome this.

link   
reply to post by kalamatas

The person is clearly asking for help, not asking to be degraded and put down. Nicotine addiction is one of the hardest to quit and I for one comend the OP for trying to quit.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Sadly there is nothing we can say that would be better than your own will.
You can use any of the things people use to help them quit, patches, pills, inhalers, etc but only YOU can stop as 95% of quitting is self control.
Then there is problem 2. STAYING stopped.

source, numerous times ex smoker, I got it this time though, been a few years and smell of smoke makes me ill now, as does the thought of wasting so much money and health on a filthy pointless habit.
I used will power alone, on previous attempts to stop I used all the aides and they worked to a degree but read the small print about the will power being more important, I tend to feel they was pointless and merely a placebo effect cashing in on my own will power.

Oh and dont have any 'emergency' cigarettes, I tried that, its just too damn tempting if its there.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

yup, and to add insult to injury, heart disease runs in all the males of my family.
i also have high blood pressure, which i keep in check through meditation.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

As long as you eat right and exorcise regularly you will be fine.
I have been smoking for 15 yrs and I can still run 5 miles in 30 minutes.

I love cigarettes, they are pretty much the most awesome thing ever.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979

The person is clearly asking for help, not asking to be degraded and put down. Nicotine addiction is one of the hardest to quit and I for one comend the OP for trying to quit.

yes i did. read the o.p. again.
bring it on. i liked his/her reply.
it is gross, my sister won't even hug me when i see her cause she can't stand the smell.
i don't blame her one bit.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Knowledge is power - Here's a great site for that: Freedom

First, choose not to smoke. You will have to make this choice hundreds of times a day at first but the times between the choice will get less and less over time until you get to the point where you don't have to choose any longer. It only takes 72 hours to be nicotine free. I wish you loads of luck and I hope you choose what's best for you, over and over again. : )

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

give allen carr's easy way a go!
it's been the single most effective tool in the lives of smokers i've known.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
smoke herbal ciggarettes or fake ones, just get the nicotine out of your body....

patches and gums are a scam, they're still feeding you the stuff.

If you want to quit smoking....smoke something other then nicotine. Then you'll see how disgusting the habbit really is...

I quit for 4 years until a recent break up...it works!

Pro tip: Get hungover the day before you quit

Peace

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Here's some tips for you.

1. If you want to gradually cut back your dependence on nicotine, try smoking less of a cigarette over time. For example, say you smoke 1 cigarette every 2 hours. Instead of finishing the whole cigarette, smoke maybe 90% of it. Do that for a while until your body gets used to the slightly lower amount of nicotine. Eventually, move from that 90% to 80%. I usually smoke every 2 hours, and I can have only half a cigarette now and be satisfied.

2. One reason for picking up smoking after having quit, at least for me, is associating pleasant memories with cigarettes, such as that one time you went outside and the sun was in just the right spot, the temperature was just right, the air felt great, and the cigarette made everything even more calm. Stop doing that, start burning negative associations into your mind. Instead of remembering those pleasant things, constantly remind yourself that you're coating your lungs with tar and inhaling all kinds of disgusting chemicals. Make it FEEL disgusting. After you spend a long enough time telling yourself cigarettes are gross, you'll start to subconsciously believe it, and no longer will there be pleasant memories associated with cigarettes.

3. Before you quit, KNOW that you'll quit. Don't turn it into a battle of willpower, focus all of your mind on the fact that you're done, not that you're TRYING to be done.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
to add a bit.
stress is a tough one with me.
since my mom passed recently, i'm spending time with my dad, in a place i really do not enjoy.
making far less money than i should be etc.....etc.....
i know, excuses, but sometimes they build up to the point that i think it matters.

link   

Try out the electronic cigarette and use that to step down your smoking. It worked for my mother and she has tried to quit several times with little success until now.

I quit myself by smoking cigars instead of cigarettes until I got tired of them and just stopped.
edit on 3/20/11 by totalmetal because: (no reason given)

link   
Well, if any of y'all managed it, then my hat goes off to you.
20 years of smoking, and I still can't quit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join