It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darfur IDPs plead for similar UNSC stance on Darfur as Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Darfur IDPs plead for similar UNSC stance on Darfur as Libya

www.radiodabanga.org

Displaced people in Darfur are demanding the UN Security Council to adopt a similar stance on Darfur to one they have taken on Libya for the protection of civilians there. The refugees' pleas came the day prior to announcements Saturday by world leaders who agreed on the need for military intervention in Libya.

Months of aerial bombardment and ground attacks in Darfur, which displaced over 100,000 people since December, have prompted no public reaction from any Western government. In Libya, by contrast, French fighter jets are already patrolling the skies to prevent further attacks by Colonel Gaddafi's forces.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 20-3-2011 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Do any of you think that the United Nations will heed the displaced of Darfur's call?

I, for one, do not. Truly this is a case of genocide, but there is nothing of "value" to the UN and TPTB in Sudan.

I would not be surprised if oil was discovered in Darfur tomorrow, there would be a UN resolution to establish a No-Fly Zone within weeks.

It's all about the oil since oil is the new "gold standard."

www.radiodabanga.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Explanation:

Blood for Oil, again.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

How sad. And no wonder society is going to hell. Our children see the greed, hypocrisy and lies - and legitimately conclude, "That's just how the world works." ...Then the right blames "bad" parents for kids who follow the corporate lead. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

We are reaping what we sow. It's not pretty.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com... ws/2010-12-01/sudan-plans-to-start-pumping-oil-in-darfur-petroleum-minister-deng-says.html

There is oil in darfur! That's why they are fighting... that is initially what I first thought of but, yeah there is oil in darfur. so its not that... but for some reason The US/UN wont get involved there, i'm not sure what the reason is...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by washingtonsghost

There is oil in darfur! That's why they are fighting... that is initially what I first thought of but, yeah there is oil in darfur. so its not that... but for some reason The US/UN wont get involved there, i'm not sure what the reason is...

Well the issue is WHO is the one terrorizing the civilians?

en.wikipedia.org...

Oil revenues collected from companies around the world fund the civil war as well as violations of international human rights and humanitarian law. Sudan’s oil wealth has played a major part in enabling an otherwise poor government to fund the expensive bombers, helicopters and arms supplies which have allowed the Sudanese government to launch aerial attacks on towns and villages and fund militias to fight its proxy war in Darfur.

If big oil is the one oppressing the civilians, dont expect anyone to start a media campaign to help them.

investorsagainstgenocide.net...

Responding to the genocide in Darfur, TIAA-CREF follows up on its commitment of March, 2009, and divests its holdings in four Asian state-owned oil companies after engagement shows insufficient progress.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by washingtonsghost

Just throwing this out there but.. WHAT IF? US and then UN, etc, REALLY DO want to handle Darfur. But there's a reason why they can't. And whatever that reason may be. What if that reason is somebody is blackmailing or threatening the United States with something over their head? I'm just saying. Could this be possible?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

I think you just want to think the best of America. Which I understand.

But you have to understand, the NATION is good. The PEOPLE are good. But our politicians and the people who own them are some seriously evil bastards.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I hate posting this but it's not going to happen unless there are incentives such as oil or rare earth minerals the US and her partners in mischief can take possession. The people of Darfur need not hold their breath for help. Years ago when Clinton was president he was asked to help Sudan and he said, "there was no incentives there". So there you have it, it's all about "incentives".
edit on 20-3-2011 by Chai_An because: after thought

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

In Darfurs case, "America" isnt really their problem. The oil companies raping that country are Asian, apparently.

Its not just "western" corporations that are evil. The corporate form itself is evil. It cannot care, it cannot be loyal, its only function is to make a profit. It can only act socially responsibly if it is more profitable to do so, and the bigger they get, and the more power they get over governments and their people, the less possible it is to influence their profitability with human concerns.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by washingtonsghost

I stand corrected. I see that they have found oil, but not just any old oil the good kind, light sweet crude.

The village belonged to the south's largest ethnic group, the Ngok Dinka. But in 2008, when Roger Winter paid Nyol Paduot a visit, the north was threatening to send its soldiers and Arab militias to attack the village and lay claim to the underground river of light, sweet crude oil running beneath the chief's feet.

Oil was discovered in southern Sudan during the 1970s, and the struggle to control it is one of the long-running war's more recent causes. The fight in Sudan threatened to split Africa's largest country in two, and still does. In 2011, the south is scheduled to vote on whether it wants to remain part of the north or become its own country, made up of ten states that lie to the south of the tenth parallel and border Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Central African Republic, and Chad. This looming split — which, if it happens, would likely occur largely along the tenth parallel — meant that Todaj and the nearby oil boomtown of Abyei, about ten miles south, were vitally important. Whichever side controlled them would control an estimated two billion barrels of oil.

source: www.npr.org... (Excerpt: 'The Tenth Parallel'
by ELIZA GRISWOLD)

Maybe Darfur will be the next stop after Libya?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by Chai_An

In Darfurs case, "America" isnt really their problem. The oil companies raping that country are Asian, apparently.

Maybe this is why the UN will not interfere with Darfur because they want to avoid conflict with the Asian countries trying to get their hands on that oil. It is a shame that Africa is so abundant with natural resource and the bloodshed caused over these resources.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by Chai_An

Its not just "western" corporations that are evil. The corporate form itself is evil. It cannot care, it cannot be loyal, its only function is to make a profit. It can only act socially responsibly if it is more profitable to do so, and the bigger they get, and the more power they get over governments and their people, the less possible it is to influence their profitability with human concerns.

It really don't matter who's doing the raping the fact is the locals are oppressed because of it and to ask another potential rapist to save them from the current one won't solve a thing. It's more than apparent their real problem is their own government allowing foreigners to come in and utilize resources to the detriment of their citizens.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Sudan has oil.
How about when Rwandan were mass-slaughtered. Nobody did sh!t.
Now, the same is happening in Ivory Coast. Nobody does anything to help those poor people.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
If there's oil in Darcur that isn't e ough to go in.

If it's turning a profit and it's coming out regularly then it's all good despite how many die and are displaced.

If something should interfere with the flow and the profit then they go in.

Crazy to think the last barrel of oil will be used up fighting for that last barrel. Nothing uses up fuel like military action.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

join