It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Bread recipe could be the difference between starving/eating in the times ahead.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I am posting this from another thread on GF as I feel it would be beneficial in both places. I am also posting the original quote.

The Thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Firefly_
Gluten free food is all well and good, until you see the prices. A small 400g loaf of bread usually goes for about 80p yet a gluten free loaf is £2.99. Likewise with the noodles, a packet of wheat noodles or spaghetti can be as low as 20p but finding rice noodles for less than £1 is impossible. There are unscrupulous people making a LOT of money out of this and they know full well people with celiacs and other conditions that require a specialized diet have no choice but to fork out.

Absolutely!

When I started my research into the GF World, I was shocked at the prices. When I started offering it for sale I had guilt for the prices I had to charge.

I then started experimented with blended GF flours and little tricks like using Guar Gum instead of Xantham Gum as the binder. 1/3 the price.

The other thing to remember is that even tho you may be switching over to a GF diet, you need not be extreme! This is the common mistake and where a lot of the money is spent.

Some celiacs are extreme and yes, they have to be careful. Some are only sensitive on different levels and a little Gluten won't hurt. If you are doing it for health reasons, the small traces won't hurt you or even effect your diet results.

For example, what's the difference between raisins and GF raisins? A little Flour dusting to keep them from sticking. That's it.

Another thing people should be aware of is if you don't understand your needs or allergies, you WILL be taken advantage of at your food store. Just because it has GF on the label doesn't mean that it has been prepared in a GF environment. It could be baked next to a regular loaf of bread and only prepared on the other side of the kitchen. Trust me, I have seen this. This is why you will see signs not taking responsibility for harm.

A true GF commercial kitchen will have all of its own equipment and a separate air system. No other people will be allowed inside except the employees. One speck of flour in a loaf of bread has killed.

Oats are always on the table for discussion as being GF and in some cases have been approved but in most cases, not. The reasoning behind it is the farm itself. Farm equipment, storage bins and even neighboring fields can cross-contaminate.

My advice that I have always given to people that just want a dietary change and are not celiac is to not go extreme for these very reasons.

For those that are, ask your doctor how extreme your case is and go from there.

You'll want to remember this advice when you see licorice advertised as GF and even Yeast at twice the price cause of a GF label.

It's not illegal to put a GF label on anything. I can put a GF label on an apple, charge 3x the price and many will buy it.

Many have asked if I am celiac or even on a GF diet. No. I'm a baker that couldn't stand to turn people away. Many of my customers were celiac, many looked very sick and parents were the hardest. They couldn't find enough variety for their children and felt that they were bad parents because of this.

So, my wife and myself (Mostly my wife) went to work. Completely closed off addition to the bakery, recipe research, trial and error (a lot of error) and it was very well received. More than we could handle. We sold our bakery and are still looking for our new location because we want to go 100% GF. It's needed for 2 reasons actually.

1. Unscrupulous Food Suppliers taking advantage of a disease and people wanting to eat healthier.

2. We're really good at it.

Anyway, too long of a post so I'll end it here. Hope it was of some help.

Thanks

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

hi
that video was excellent, i never realised one could
make natural yeast.
excellent thread thanks alot....dave

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
reply to post by jude11

hi
that video was excellent, i never realised one could
make natural yeast.
excellent thread thanks alot....dave

Glad you found your way here!

Up until a few years ago, I had no idea about the yeast either but it does make sense.

If you have any good tips and tricks in the breads area, please share! You'll find a lot of info in the thread also.

Thanx!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Brilliant thread
we always make our own bread... amazing what you can do.. tho my personal favourite at the moment is tear and share bacon bread.. brilliant for picnics and the beach.. congrats on a really useful thread

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
Brilliant thread
we always make our own bread... amazing what you can do.. tho my personal favourite at the moment is tear and share bacon bread.. brilliant for picnics and the beach.. congrats on a really useful thread

You can't just pop in here, make me drool with the mention of bacon and then leave!!!

Recipe please. Bring it! LOL

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Roll a basic dough mix into a rectangle..
Sprinkle in whatever you want.. for this one I love bacon and cheese
Now roll it into a swiss roll..
Cut the roll into 2 inch slices
Places each slice cut side up in a cake tin to prove...
Bake

Tear share and enjoy

I have to admit that we use a breadmaker at times when we are being
a) extra lazy
B) extra extra lazy and want something rapid...
C) experiment

Tho I am playing with a clay oven in the garden... just for fun mind... (meaning that I burn everything so far)

But we suggest to friends they start making their own bread with a cheapy breadmaker as it is a good medium to start experimenting with.. after a while it is too tempting to start trying out your own recipes and going that one stage further and make your own dough by hand your own croissants etc

so this recipes can be used in an oven or bread maker to make 1 medium sized loaf..
(for those with breadmakers the ingredients are listed in order)

Cheese and Bacon Loaf

3/4 Teaspoon Yeast
400g Flour (White is good for this one)
1 teaspoon sugar
50-80g grated cheese (usually use a nice mature cheddar.. yummy)
1 teaspoon salt
280-300 ml of water
50-80g **Chopped and cooked bacon (lardons are really yummy)

** if you use a breadmaker the bacon goes in the dispenser..

My all time favourite is English breakfast bread that my partner makes.. she includes cooked sausages rashers of bacon and eggs.. she also makes a wonderful ginger loaf..

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Thanks!

That sounds great. You should try the recipe in my original post. Easy and will work well in your outdoor oven. I put all kinds of spices in there and bacon/cheese will do well.

Grab a pail!

Literally, just throw in:

8 cups white flour
4 cups multigrain flour
1.5 tsp yeast
.5 tsp course salt (table salt will do)
.5 tsp sugar
1 tbsp each garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, and rosemary.

mix all dry ingredients in the pail

add 6 cups warm water and mix until combined, no more. I use my hands.

cover with the pail lid, but NOT TIGHT or it will explode when the yeast acts up.

Leave it over night.

In the morning divide into 4 equal parts without kneading. It will be sticky and goopy. That's ok!

DON"T add more flour!

I coat 4-9 inch cake pans with flour tho you can use bread pans too.

Sprinkle corn meal on top and put in a preheated 400 degree oven. Bake 25 mins, turn the oven down to 350 and bake for an additional 25 mins. Rotate the pans at the midway mark as ovens have weak and hot spots.

My ovens are professional convection ovens so you will have to experiment on yours but trial and error will produce fantastic results!

An outdoor oven can cut the baking time in half depending on the style.

If only a good loaf of plain bread is desired, leave out the spices. Also works great for a raisin bread or anything else you want. Experiment!

Makes 4 loaves.

Good luck!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

it does sound soooo nice and I do intend to try that out...

I love fresh bread.... especially when it is made with my own hands.. I have been trying to source some local bread flour from the millers around here as I am sure that'll add that extra dimension.. thanks for the thread... really great...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by keepithush

if shtf you wont have that option. i told my wife that she'd better cut her complaint switch off and eat whatever we have. her other option is to go out with all the zombies running around..lol

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I gotta throw in my beer bread recipe:

Dirt simple beer bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 12-ounce bottle of beer (or, if you want frou-frou, try one of those fruity malt beverages)
3 tablespoons sugar
rosemary and sage for savoryness (or none if you want straight bread)

mix together and bake at 425 til crusty. Any beer works, most malt beverages should too.

This is a CARB-INTENSE bread, especially if you use a bock, double bock, or stout. Its for when you need fuel for working hard over a long day.
Works well fresh with butter, or cold and in sandwiches.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagoSA
I gotta throw in my beer bread recipe:

Dirt simple beer bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 12-ounce bottle of beer (or, if you want frou-frou, try one of those fruity malt beverages)
3 tablespoons sugar
rosemary and sage for savoryness (or none if you want straight bread)

mix together and bake at 425 til crusty. Any beer works, most malt beverages should too.

This is a CARB-INTENSE bread, especially if you use a bock, double bock, or stout. Its for when you need fuel for working hard over a long day.
Works well fresh with butter, or cold and in sandwiches.

This is a new one!

Thank you!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MagoSA

Trying out your beer bread recipe.....I'll let you know in about 1 hr how it turned out.
The Op's recipe is next on my list.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
reply to post by MagoSA

Trying out your beer bread recipe.....I'll let you know in about 1 hr how it turned out.
The Op's recipe is next on my list.

Let us know how they turn out! Maybe some pics?

PS...When you try mine, use the one at the bottom of the OP with or without the spices added. My favorite.

It takes 5 minutes to put it in the pail and bake it in the morning for a nice breakfast bread.

edit on 24-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Well.
Here is the beer bread from the recipe MagoSA posted. I made it last night.and It turned out pretty good.
The beer I used was Budweiser, that what I had in the kegerator. I didn't have any rosemary or sage but it still had very good flavor.

I am trying the OP's recipe tonight.
Thanks MagoSA.
edit on 5/25/2011 by Sparky63 because: reduced pic size

edit on 5/25/2011 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Well.
Here is the beer bread from the recipe MagoSA posted. I made it last night.and It turned out pretty good.
The beer I used was Budweiser, that what I had in the kegerator. I didn't have any rosemary or sage but it still had very good flavor.

Thanks MagoSA.

Nice!

That looks great. Looks heavy and gut-filling. Warm with a slab of butter...

Thanx!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Well.

Thanks MagoSA.

Its a dense bread - I normally make a few loaves prior to camping because it travels well and I can put it on the rocks near the fire and let it warm up as I'm finishing setting up in the evening - then I throw ham (black forest goes well) or a smoked turkey and munch out, enjoying the evening. Crumbs get tossed into the fire, no sense in attracting pests.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthFreedomNow
"...light to make bread. "
Thanks for the hospitality Jude.

Thanks for the link jbd51. I get it now. Like Jude I was expecting some type of reaction but it's as simple as simple can be. Which makes it doable in times of crisis....and warmer climates.

Jude, do you know if you can sprout grains and then use them to make flour for bread? For example sprout wheat berries and then grind them for flour. The spouts would have to be dry before they can go through a flour grinder, right? I wonder if you could sprout them, let them dry and then grind them. Or if that would defeat the purpose. I had a look at the sprouting website you linked to but it's pretty extensive so thought I'd ask first just in case you know the answer off the top of your head.

Thanks for a great thread.

TFN

I read somewhere (back when I was interested in raw foodism) that sprouted grains are actually better as the sugars and so on are converted to proteins or something during sprouting? So you can actually get more nutrition out of the same grain...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I use a bread machine for convenience, but aside from that, my recipe is my own.

Packet yeast (Keep your yeast refrigerated until you need it)
1 tsp sea salt
2 whole eggs
1 heaping tbsp bacon fat
2 heaping tbsp brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup oil. I use corn oil
4.5 cups flour. (Adjust to make a ball that doesn't stick to the pot wall.

The bread machine takes about 3 hours for the process, and it knocks down the bread several times.

Bake at 350f for about 45 min, check by knocking in the usual way.

I bake this bread for myself, and for communion at church. It is very popular at church.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Benchkey

That sounds yummy and fattening...All good!

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I love home made tortillas, and my kiddos will eat th#m straight from the comal! Lol

But I use the mix, because I havent found "my recipe" yet. Tips for tortillas, use the hottest water you can stand, knead well, let rest covered with damp towel, roll thin as possible, and if not eating right away, COVER! Lol

You can also use tortilla dough to make bolitos? Sp? Roll like tortillas, but fry the dough in hot oil, remove and sprinkle with lots of cinnemon and suger! Crispy, sweet perfection!

I also found my perfect biscuit recipe here on ats

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join