It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Bread recipe could be the difference between starving/eating in the times ahead.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
When I started this same forum on another site, there were over 6,000 views within 3 hours. I was so surprised and overwhelmed to the point I couldn't keep up. I will try to keep it going here as I know that these tips, tricks, recipes, ideas etc can be the difference between feeding our families and not.

Here's another great way to do the bread thing with no yeast> Keep in mind that I will always post info that ANYONE can do in a time with a minimum of ingredients.

No Yeast Pita Bread:

Did this while camping once. Delicious! Got the recipe off the net somewhere. As simple as it gets.

Recipe Pita Bread #1

3 cup white flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup Warm water
Vegetable oil

Combine the flour and salt; stir in enough warm water so that the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and ceases to be sticky. Stir till smooth. Knead for 5 minutes.

Divide dough into 12 equal portions and shape into smooth balls. Cover with damp towels and let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Press each ball flat and roll into a 6" or 7" circle. Lightly oil a griddle or skillet. Gently stretch each round as thin as possible. Cook about 90 seconds. Pitas will be brown and bubbly spots will appear at the bottom. Turn over & brown the other side.

Remove from griddle and immediately wrap your pitas in towels.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Storage of flour:

1. Put flour in strong, food grade plastic bag. I use air tight pails as the pails will be very valuable for other uses as well. If the flour bag is packaged in paper, put the whole bag inside a food grade plastic bag or pail.

2. Remove excess air from bag.

3. Freeze flour for two days, if possible, 48 hours, to kill off weevils or insect eggs in the flour.

4. Keep in cool, dark place to prevent insects from getting at the flour and to prevent sunlight from spoiling the flour.

Rice flour will develop weevils quickly if not stored properly but not to worry. Put outside if it's winter and freeze the little buggers. If times are really hard, remember these are little bits of protein. Just bake them in the bread. Seriously.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nastradamus

I think it means "when the s@%& hits the fan"

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
From another poster on a thread of mine...far, far away...

Jude,

For right now while there is shortening, a much less expensive
homemade Bisquick Mix. I am going to try your bread recipe,
thank you.

HOMEMADE BISQUICK MIX

6 C flour
3 T baking powder
1 T salt
1 C vegetable shortening (Crisco)

1. sift flour, baking powder and salt
2. cut in shortening with pastry blender or knife until mix
resembles crumbs
3. store mix in a tight container in the frig - up to four months

makes 7 cups

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Ok, I know that there are going to be Gluten Free folks here (GF) so although my wife is the GF master in our bakery, I will post our most popular recipe. Keep in mind that we are still trying to slim it down to a camp-fire style loaf, it ain't easy! In the meantime, try this at home and enjoy!

I actually have quite a few and it's a a whole other World but try this. Assuming you know about making GF bread, this is a good flour mix to use.

* 2 cups sorghum flour
* 2 cups brown rice flour (I use superfine brown rice flour)
* 1 1/2 cups potato starch, not potato flour
* 1/2 cup white rice flour
* 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
* 1/2 cup tapioca flour
* 1/2 cup amaranth flour
* 1/2 cup quinoa flour

BTW, if you currently use Xantham Gum as your binder, I found that Guar Gum works just as well at 1/3 the price.

GF will not be easy to do in times of need so I would suggest experimenting asap to get the basic recipe perfected as so many ingredients will not be available.

Good Luck!
edit on 20-3-2011 by jude11 because: edit

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Great post!

Bread is a comfort food and is something that will always be appreciated. Just the smell of bread baking has a calming effect.

Yeast is the rate limiting factor if you're not using baking powder as your leavening agent.

I culture my own yeast for beer, bread, wine and mead...and you can do the same. For a small amount of money, you can have yeast for a long, long time.

You can use either agar or gelatin as your solidifying agent for making slants. Get a set of test tubes from a science supply shop, an inoculating loop and you're well on your way. It's impossible for me to go into the level of detail required for culturing yeast for every possible scenario, but I can tell you that you can turn a very small amount of yeast into huge amount that's ready when you are.

Once the colonies have grown on your slant, you need to burp the cap on the top of the tube to allow CO2 to escape. Unfortunately, the yeast don't regulate their CO2 production and can eventually kill themselves.

Put the slants in a fridge after they have a nice colony growth and they'll be fine for a long, LONG time. Make a small slurry to get them going and you'll be golden. The concept is similar to that used by those who use a sourdough starter but works just as effectively for other yeast types.

I know I've not provided anywhere near the level of detail that is required to assist you on your own. I'm basically telling you that while you are still able to propagate yeast, learn how to do it!!!

edit on 20-3-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
really nice thread star and flag for you my friend some wonderful info in this one thank you very very much especially like the home made yeast part.

link   

edit on 20-3-2011 by pez1975 because: triple posted for some reason

link   

edit on 20-3-2011 by pez1975 because: triple posted for some reason

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Thanks!

Ever tried this?

Step 1: Capture the Yeast

This method is dependent on how much wild yeast is circulating in the air in your kitchen at any given time. Baking frequently adds yeast to the air, so trying to capture the yeast soon after baking bread will help ensure success.

1. Combine in a bowl:
* 2 cups of warm water
* 1 tablespoon of sugar
* 2 cups of flour
2. Cover the bowl with cheesecloth and place in a warm area in your kitchen.
3. Stir the mixture once a day.
4. It will begin to bubble when you have captured yeast.
5. Allow the mixture to continue to sit for 3-4 days after you first notice the bubbles.

Step 2: Dry the Yeast

1. Spread the liquid mixture out on plastic wrap or waxed paper to dry.
2. When it is dry, break the dried yeast into chunks.
3. Grind the chunks into small particles using a the food processor.
4. Freeze the yeast in an airtight container for long term storage.
5. Yeast will become dormant when they do not have warmth and a food source such as sugar.

Step 3: Use the Yeast

This yeast is not as concentrated as commercial yeast. Plan on substituting one cup of homemade yeast for one ounce of commercial yeast. (If possible. If not that's ok)

1. Dissolve one cup of homemade yeast in one cup of whatever liquid your recipe calls for.
2. Make the dough, decreasing the flour used by one cup.
3. Knead and allow to rise as usual; be aware that he dough may take longer to double in size than if you'd used commercial yeast.
4. The yeast is what causes the bread to rise due to the carbon dioxide it gives off inside the dough.

Thank you

www.mahalo.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Ok,

On another note...I had a poster say this. Worth a mention I believe:

Thanks, OP! I have been up half the night writing these recipes down as well as instructions for the earth oven that was linked to on page one. One thing to keep in mind for when shtf, with all these delicious bread recipes, you will actually gain weight while your neighbors are starving. Word of advice, don't go parading your stuffed gut around town or the locals will know you've got food! Pace yourself, feed your immediate neighbors in need and, just to throw the roving bands of scavengers off your "scent", act just as starved as everyone else if government assistance comes to your area. Folks will notice whose NOT there when the food truck arrives and just may decide to pay you a little visit! BLEND IN! And, for goodness sake, DO YOUR BAKING UPWIND whenever possible! Starving people have a very keen sense of smell and the smell of baking bread is irresistible when your FULL, imagine if you haven't eaten in 4 days! It's not worth losing a limb over!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
A great source for sustainable, Off-Grid-Yeast.

Copy, link and print...better to have a paper record than a USB with no power:

"One of the attractions to baking for me is, in the long term, to contribute to my life project of becoming a self-sufficient individual and enjoying the satisfaction of being master of my own food from ground to table. With enough good land and time I will be able to produce my own basic ingredients on my future hobby farm, but the one thing I have not been able to figure out from reading various articles here is how to produce a reliable supply of my own yeast."

And go...

www.thefreshloaf.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
And another that I have tried, perfected and love!

No yeast bread:

Ingredients
4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1½ cups water
2 tsp vinegar (cider or white) Have tried it without and works ok too.

Combine dry ingredients and mix. Combine water and vinegar. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for two or three minutes (no need to overdo it). Shape into a round (about 1½ to 2 inches high), then place on pan. Dip a sharp knife into flour and cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf. Bake 40 minutes.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Ok,

I have posted about 5% of the info I have shared on other forums so far. I will post more if folks are looking for it. If you would like to have more links, info, tips, tricks and so on, let me know.

This thread was started with the intention of showing how easy it is to make and sustain healthy foods in a time of need. Or in ATS speak... "When TSHTF"

So, in other words, I would like to continue this thread with not only my input but the incredible knowledge of others I know are lurking around here.

Please jump in with recipes, techniques whatever on bread, pita, tortilla, grains storage, dehydrating, canning, gardening and???

I can guarantee that everything you share here will be appreciated and valued by not only me, but so many others around the World.

Thank you!
edit on 20-3-2011 by jude11 because: edit

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the great bread recipes. I'm going to try them as soon as I can.

Here's another very easy bread that I have made, and love. It has only these ingredients.
The crust is nice and crunchy. You'll have to watch the video for the directions because
I don't have mine handy.

No Knead Bread
3 C. flour
3/4 tsp yeast
1 1/2 c water
1 1/4 tsp salt

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Great thread!

S&F

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I really appreciate your posting these recipes everyone! I have been storing food and canning butter for months! These bread recipes are going to go into my survival cabinet for sure, along with the directions for making "lights" out of plastic bottles, water and bleach! I have been trying to find a good recipe for PlumpyNut. It's fed to starving children in Third World countries, and is packed with nutrition. I have heard they actually gain weight on this stuff! I wouldn't want to eat it unless I needed it, but if it's that nutritious, it's a must in any survival situation! Anyone out there have the recipe? I have heard it's kept under lock and key! (secrets...why?) Thanks again OP!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Outback camper damper:

4 cups of flour (self raising better than plain)
butter or oil - about a table spoon
1 to 1 1/2 cups water OR a stubbie of BEER

salt if you want it
raisins/sultanas if you have them
or whatever else you can think of

mix it all together
chuck it in a camp oven in the fire embers (or in foil in the embers)
cook for about half an hour

serve with butter, jam & cream, or whatever
edit on 21-3-2011 by zenius because: add

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
First off Great thread!!!! Gotta say I have always felt 'the need' to know how to feed and shelter my family. I have been an avid camper for years. I my first recommendation to everybody on this thread, buy a good cast iron dutch oven (not the 19.99 cheapy! I purchased both of mine from rummage sales) These are great for making anything from bread, to stew, roasts, fried chicken, and even cake. I don't have time at the moment, but i will post some of my favorite dutch oven recipes later today. thanks for all the info on bread & yeast. I'll keep my rpinter busy foro a while.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

When you say sponge, are you referring to an actual sponge? Can you elaborate, this is all very interesting and thank you for sharing with us,

Respectfully,

M

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join