It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression=how to cure it?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I am in a huuuuuuge depression right now. I was in deeper 2 weeks ago, and I lost couple of kg's.I dont really think I can live like that anymore

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
You can't cure it but you can mask it. Plenty of medicine will elevate your mood. I personally use a crap ton of Nootropics so I can stay ahead of the game in school/life. Now these are mainly cognitive enhancers so a general "good mood" is part of the package. You should do some research on it and try it out.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

For me running weightlifting and golf is what helped me. Running for that runners high, weightlifting cuz there's something bout being able to change your body and getting compliments, and golf cuz its not something you need to be athletic to have a good time you can do it by yourself and enjoy the quit and beauty of the course or with friends get a few brews and just have a good time.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I would like to tell you four things that worked for me.

I used to have severe mood swings (I was diagnosed with manic-depression), and pharmaceutical anti-depressants and mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics did not work for me. I am not saying that they don't work for everyone. I know they work for a lot of people! But they did not work for me...I tried tons of them, and saw many, many doctors and psychiatrists, but none of them worked.

This is what did work for me:
1. I changed my thyroid medication from sythroid to Armour thyroid. In fact, to be honest, my moods did not start severely swinging until I changed from Armour to Synthroid. Only when I changed back to Armour, did I start really really getting better. Be sure to have your doctor test you for thyroid problems, because thyroid problems can cause severe depression. And synthetic thyroid (synthroid) doesn't do the trick. Natural thyroid helps a lot if you also have depression!!

2. Self hypnosis and creative visualization

3. hypnotherapy (especially regression hypnotherapy)

4. Homeopathy (finally, in the end homeopathy cured me!) For more information about homeopathy and depression, read the book Prozac Free.

Best of luck. I know, depression is miserable. I suffered through it for years, along with the mania. The depressions were terrible!! The only medications I take now are my Armour thyroid, and the occasional homeopathic remedy, and for the most part, my life is much, much better than it ever has been.

Although I still have this pesky interest in conspiracy theory that I can't get rid of. (But I consider that the result of a curious mind....not a sick one.

Seriously, though.... I really hope you feel better soon!

edit on 11-5-2011 by nikiano because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Depression runs through my family - Grandmother, Mother, myself and I can 'see' it occasionally on one of my sons. I also have thyroid disease which all three of us women had/have.

Sleep has proved the most important single factor concerning my depression. I was a workaholic and hadn't realised how little quality sleep I ever got over the years + also an ex who snorred like an express train charging through a tunnel. This I am sure and my GP confirmed was a factor contributing to my depression.

I also hid my depresson, it was my business (it didn't belong to anyone else and I wasn't burdening anyone with it). I use distraction and meditation to get through and slow walks along the beach. I know it is a part of me and it will always be there but in a way by 'going with it', I cope. I am grateful the only other thing I have is I was born very deaf, which again most people would never guess. I worked with a bi-polar girl and I saw the havoc that condition caused in her life, which makes me think although this is a vile condition I could have had it worse.

Big Hi! and cuddle to fellow sufferers and a stroke to the purple cat.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Many people say to stay away from medications, but everyone is different. They certainly helped me when I was dealing with depression. Now, understand that they didn't "cure" me. I believe that in many cases we are the only ones that can cure ourselves. What they did do was help pull my head out of the dirt long enough for me to try to resolve some of what was bothering me. I did feel better while I was on it and I was able to gain the energy and the desire to try to help myself. That and I saw a counselor twice a week for a few months to help me work through what I was feeling. Many have already said that diet, exercise, and surrounding yourself with positive people can help. There are also herbal options out there, but be sure to research before you try.

My heart is with everyone that is suffering from depression. It is often overlooked and misunderstood, but it is a real illness and I truly understand how you feel.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
suffered from depression since early teens with heavy depression the last 3-5 years. Last year I got outside and got a tan, no more depression. I will say I've had a few times when I get down and feel like I'm slipping that way again but having not been in the sun most of my life, it seemed to fix me right up along with some good multi-vitamins and I found a new friend to talk to.

I refused to medicate for depression and vowed to say that way if I had to in order to avoid meds. I tried everything "organic" or "holistic" and sun and vitamins worked wonders.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I went to therapy for 3 yrs and learned alot about myself.

My shrink put it to me like this:
We are all carrying around a backpack...each worry, dissapointment, etc is a brick that we store in that backpack. Eventually it gets too heavy for us to carry around. We find a way to get rid of some bricks or we collapse.

I collapsed.

Now I run...if I cant run I work out my brain until it is too exhausted to think. Seriously...work a complicated math problem or puzzle or even Mensa games online. Wear out your brain.

Peace to you and I hope you find something to help.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

Sounds rough, it's a horrible situation to be in and it seems there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I was put on medication, citalapram for about 2 years and my mood lifted reasonably quickly. Its a short term fix (I was probably on them too long.) I think meds combined with a few CBT exercises you can definitely cure your depression. taking the first step can be the hardest part, but the sooner you deal with it the better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join