It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just saw 2 F-14's flying over Austin texas, what are the laws?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I was planting trees in my back yard and all of sudden i start to hear a loud raring noise. I look up and see 2 F-14 jets (not a expert on planes but they looked like F-14 style fighter jets) flying low. They wear flying under the chemclouds.They wear white or gray. They wear pretty fast but i think they could go way faster. So my question is, what are the military rules or laws for flying these type of jets. Are they aloud to fly to fly ow over a populated area's?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
hi i live in ayrshire scotland and yesterday i saw a passenger plane with 2 millitery jets beside it and one behind it must be full of soldiers heading for libya !!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Should they fly over populated areas? Prolly not. Can they? Yes.

If they were flying low and fast, perhaps something breached an air spaces near one of the bases?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
F14's have been retired since 2006. The closest aircraft to the F14 is the F111 but they've been retired even longer. You probably saw a couple F15's. They can be easily mistaken for each other by people who don't know what they're looking at.

In terms of rules or laws for or against flying fast near residential areas, I know different bases and communities have different ordnances in regards to noise at bases and military machines. It was probably a couple fly boys messing around. They'd probably get a slap on the wrist from their CO's when they land.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I believe they can fly low but cant hit a sonic boom while low.

brb, Ill go and find it or if some one beets me to it lol

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy
I was planting trees in my back yard and all of sudden i start to hear a loud raring noise. I look up and see 2 F-14 jets (not a expert on planes but they looked like F-14 style fighter jets) flying low. They wear flying under the chemclouds.They wear white or gray. They wear pretty fast but i think they could go way faster. So my question is, what are the military rules or laws for flying these type of jets. Are they aloud to fly to fly ow over a populated area's?

Did they have twin vertical tails and widely separated engines? That would be a F 14, but I thought the F14 had been retired.

If the tails were vertical, not flared out at angles, and the twin engines were close together that would make it an F15.

If the tails flared out at an angle, and it was twin engine that would be an FA 18.

If it were single-engine single vertical tail, most likely an F 16, or a jet trainer / chase plane for the shuttle - I think are called Talons.

When I was in high school, NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach would send out training flights of F14s for the pilots to log their req. hours in the air. They always used our high school as a landmark for turn arounds and over flights.

It was low and spectacular!
edit on 20-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: spelln

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by VenomVile.6
I believe they can fly low but cant hit a sonic boom while low.

brb, Ill go and find it or if some one beets me to it lol

Your right. Jets are not allowed to break the sound barrier over populated areas, except in case of national emergency. The sonic boom can shatter windows and injure people. A good rule if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
[snip]

Not sure if it could be related, but there have been about 6 helicopters flying around here, and only one was a medical, the rest were military. Maybe it does have something to do with Libya.
edit on 20-3-2011 by elevatedone because: removed quoted post, removed by staff

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by topgun26

There are no stupid questions. Not asking the questions is pretty stupid though.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by topgun26

[snip]

A little too late though

We are here to learn, and are at various stages and awareness. What is common knowledge for some may not be for others. Everyone is on their own path moving at their own pace, so if you think someone is stupid, please keep it to yourself rather than throw out insults as such. The title was a question, not assertion....
edit on 20-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2011 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by topgun26

Click here for more information.

Just for that and that lousy attitude, Starred and Flagged OP! We come here to learn from each other, everyone has their thing and specialty; nobody knows everything. No need for that kind of ignorance, not when the OP had a legitimate question.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

As I recall, the low altitude limit over Austin is/was quite low. I know that sounds very low, but what I seem to recall from an incident several years ago with a student pilot in a Cessna buzzing the university. (Not the guy that crashed.) No sonic booms allowed over populated below a great height, something such as 35k feet or so.

No sights or sound of them 30 miles east of Austin. Usually, the fighters come from Dallas or Houston. I don't think that San Anton has fighters. But occassionally they come into ABIA for whatever. Always a distinctively sharper exhaust noise, and flyboys in fighters will be boys and want attention. I miss the old F-4s the National Guard used to fly outta here.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
What laws? LOL

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

The US has grounded its F-14 and they're not used anymore. Iran's air force may, and I stress the "may", use them, but probably not much as parts are difficult to come by these days. You probably saw the F-18 Super Hornet. It looks similar to the F-14 with the twin tail pieces. I frequently confused the two when they were both in service. In an emergency, the military can pretty much disregard civilian aviation rules regarding noise, etc. And not to be too picky, but the word is spelled "were" not "wear".

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LibertyLover

The US has grounded its F-14 and they're not used anymore. Iran's air force may, and I stress the "may", use them, but probably not much as parts are difficult to come by these days. You probably saw the F-18 Super Hornet. It looks similar to the F-14 with the twin tail pieces. I frequently confused the two when they were both in service. In an emergency, the military can pretty much disregard civilian aviation rules regarding noise, etc. And not to be too picky, but the word is spelled "were" not "wear".

Easy to distinguish a hornet from other fighters: Twin engines set close together and dual tails that form a "V", narrow fuselage up front.

EDIT: I miss the F14. Sigh.
edit on 20-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: Added

They could be using the remaining F14s for trainers since it's a two-seater aircraft; keep 20 on the ground for parts and fly five?
edit on 20-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: Nother thought..

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Just saw 2 F-14's flying over Austin texas

Assuming that this aircraft had twin tails... thus the F-14 referral as Tomcats are no longer (officially) in the air for the US Navy, whom they served prior to 2008.

Similar (domestic) silhouettes would first be the F-15 Eagle and then... if you are near a Navy base, the F-18 Hornet/Super Hornet.

The F-14 is a supremely worthy machine and was still among the best in the air when it was taken down and replaced with the less-capable F-18 when it became a problem that Iran - who still fly the F-14 from the age of the Shah - might be gigging parts for the same out of scrappers here in the states.

edit on 20-3-2011 by redoubt because: Typos

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I saw the same thing today in Cedar Park.I find that very odd to be flying over areas like this.I have lived in Austin my whole life and have never seen 2 fighter planes flying low like this.It was as if they were chasing something.It did not appear to me that they were just messing around. Did anyone else in the Austin area see this today?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I'm in North Austin, didn't hear/see these, but in the last month there have been some VERY low flying army helicopters. So low you couldn't hear someone talking to you if they were right next to you. I'd say 200 feet high. IMO there's NO reason for a military aircraft to be flying that low over residential areas. We're no where near Mabry

<<   2  3 >>

join