It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Mongering: What It Truly Is

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Unless you live under a rock in the middle of the Sahara Desert, you've probably noticed that the term "Fear-mongering" has been thrown around a lot when it's probably not necessary.

This is what fear mongering truly is (Look below)

"Fear mongering (or scaremongering) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic, sometimes in the form of a vicious circle."

en.wikipedia.org...

This is an example of what fear mongering LOOKS like.

www.takepart.com...

Lately, on our beloved ATS forum, this term has been tossed around when people disagree or when they post something that appears out of the ordinary. And the term is also used when we post our thoughts/feelings/theories on the current Japanese crisis. If you notice in the video, fear-mongers are dramatic and try to influence people through scaring them. Most of the posts I've read in this forum are intelligent, calm and informative. I don't see anyone telling people to hide in bomb shelters or to cram iodine pills down their throat.

Your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
this is useless. You say you didn't see it, and I'll say I did. Can either of us really prove anything? I dont keep tabs on posts I might use on a future time. I for one, have heard the iodine wave. Perhaps not cramming down throats as you seem to put it, but fearmongering none the less about a subject we know EXTREMELY little about, due to the lack of reliable info from world goverments. No bomb shelters, but "GET TEH [[snip]] OUTTA jAPAN NAW OMFG!!!"

Like I said, no real point.
edit on Sun Mar 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have noticed --exponential-- amounts of TROLLS on here, using every underhanded tactic you can imagine. Calling stuff fearmongering, is one of their many many vicious attack techniques. It's like they are all able to sit around 24/7, and wait ready to pounce, at the very next new thread, no matter what it's about. it's like, IT IS THEIR WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE TO KEEP DOING THIS.

ATS is: Attacking Troll [snip]. Thats all it is. I DON'T KNOW WHY I linger here, as someone showed me a much better forum site to hang out. Today, I break that habit ,for good.
edit on 20-3-2011 by simone50m because: spell-correct

edit on Sun Mar 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I noticed that you have commented on a thread opened in the last hour within which I myself have questioned whether the source is likely to be scare mongering or not. By in all a legitimate question.

Just wondering if this is what spurred this thread?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Iam'___'

Actually no, one of the other members suggested that someone should post a thread about what fear-mongering truly is. That's what inspired this thread, just so you know. So don't worry, I'm not attacking your posts or anything.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
No probs dude, just being vigilant,as seems to be needed around here.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The problem with fear mongering is any time you don't accept the official story and offer an alternate view you get labelled a fear monger or conspiracy nut.

Not that there aren't real fear monger's out there. Looking at you Alex Jones.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xKhaosXREVolutionXx

So, let me get this straight....

so when someone here makes a speculatory post warning people about a deadly radiation plume headed to the west coast within 24 hours that's not fear mongering? Someone did do that, I can't remember the name but i know the post has been moved. They used a link from the site that the hoax map came from, said they were looking for other sources and came back using information regarding the fact that ships and helicopters had encountered low levels of radiation off the coast of Japan only it seemed as though they were trying to spin it much worse than it was.

It was CLEARLY working people up a bit, as it rightly should have were it true.

Would you agree that, that is at least fear mongering or does that still make me a "troll" for calling someone out? Because i'm not a troll by the way.

I think you need to understand also that it doesn't just count as fear mongering to blatantly mislead someone in a fearful way but it also can entail wording things in an extremely alarmist way.

Having an opinion is one thing, but i'm sorry there is CERTAINLY a lot of fear mongering going on about this subject here and elsewhere on line.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

That's not true at all.

I don't think people that state that we're not getting the full story are all fear mongers. People that feel the need to be so alarmist it's almost alarming itself is what comprises fear mongering as far as i'm concerned.

I think it would be stupid to believe 100% of either side of the story. You can't believe everything the media says just like you can't believe everyone who's wrapped up in conspiracy theories and cover ups says.

I believe in taking everything with a grain of salt from both sides and most of the time as far as I figure the truth lays more in the middle ground.

Just because I don't believe someone when they say the government is covering this all up to thin the population doesn't mean i'm going to call everyone who thinks so a fear mongerer....I might laugh, because i don't buy into NWO minded things (though it;s very interesting to read about i must admit)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by onyx718

I wasn't referring to posts like the one you mentioned. I was referring to people who post their emotions/thoughts on the Japanese crisis and are called "Fear mongers" for it. There's quite a difference between posting outright warnings and posting your thoughts on a situation.

Do I think this crisis is very serious? Yes, I do. Do I think the government is covering things up about this? Maybe, but I doubt it is a full-scale cover-up.
edit on 20-3-2011 by xKhaosXREVolutionXx because: More information

edit on 20-3-2011 by xKhaosXREVolutionXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
This shouldn't be a surprise anymore, just look at some thread titles "omg explosion its gonna get worse", some people feed themselves with despair.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
What confuses me is that all legitimate science or historical information indicates clearly that there is real possibilities and high probabilities that it will turn out way worse than anyone says.

Also common sense combined with weather data indicates that the radiation would indeed spread from the reactor sites and indeed flow over America, albeit disbursed fairly well.

I just don't get it. Because my brain cannot process or accept the ideas that "it's safe", that "everything's fine", that "Japan will be ok", or that "fallout is not over the US/Canada right now."

My brain just simply cannot process those ideas. They are inherently illogical, irrational, and incompatible with the facts available about the history and science behind nuclear technology.

That's why I just don't get the way everyone is downplaying it and treating it like it's not a big deal. Adding this up in a mathematical logical way, there is no way to avoid the conclusion that a massive pollution event is occurring and ongoing.

I guess I have to get to the point where I have no choice but to dismiss what everyone else says outright. And just start trusting my own instincts despite any contrary indicators. I know that is brash and I do not like to follow such a route, but when all information being generated TODAY flies in the face of all information generated over the last 50 years; I can't help but call foul.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Even though there is the occasional ridiculous post, that should be heavily queried for more thorough references and support, there are certainly a lot of people who attack with the 'fear mongering' line or blatant mockery. I honestly question why these people come to this forum. Why commit so much time to something that makes them angry or frustrated. I'd be seeking out another forum or interest or something more personally meaningful and enjoyable than something that irritates me to the point where I feel the need to make antagonistic posts.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
As the OP has defined it, I haven't seen too much "fear mongering." I have noticed a lot of unsound assertions, logical fallacies, that kind of thing. Either way, they are barriers to valuable discussion on the issue. Admittedly, though, there is a fine line between speculation and defective argument.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
People who call others fear mongerers are usually the fearful ones themselves. I laugh at them and take pride in fear mongering. Its the only way you get dumb people to wake up from their false realities and get prepared for the worst. They'll thank you in the long run is what I like to think.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ag893

what? lolol that doesn't make sense to me. I'm concerned of course....I think you would have to be stupid to not be, but i'm not afraid by any means even though i have used the term. I enjoy threads where it's not constantly draining to read by listening to people repetedly toss around the same doomsday negativity. I understand there's nothing to be positive about regarding the situation but is it necessary to be overly dramatic to an insane degree.

I know that when speaking about Japan itself its not really being dramatic....they are SCREWED and screwed for a long time but as for us...maybe, maybe not.

I'm just tired of hearing people assume the radiation is already in the atmosphere and OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE NEXT WEEK!!!

I don't mind it in posts when that present facts (either that we know about or stuff that's just been uncovered) so much as just the speculation posts though

new topics

top topics

join