It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Large HazMat Spill Reported in San Diego Area

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
BREAKING - Reports from San Diego suggest that a 3000 gallon Chemical Tanker has overturned on Highway 15. The tanker has been ruptured and is venting a cloud of gas that is moving over the highway.The substance has been identified as Inorganic Chromium which is highly corrosive and toxic to humans. Multiple cars have been seen to travel through the cloud. There are no details on casualties.

The California Highway Patrol is reporting difficulty in getting motorists to stop as the gas cloud looks harmless. Sheriffs are rushing to the scene in order to aid in the evacuation of the highway. Depending on wind direction the local population may have to be moved from their homes. Details will be broadcast on local televsion and radio.

6:20PM - CHEMICAL INITIALLY IDENTIFIED AS "INORGANIC CHROMIUM", PLACARD #3264 - A CORROSIVE
6:19PM - 1039 STAM LAW CC
6:18PM - SHELTER IN PLACE AND CLOSE ALL WINDOWS
6:18PM - ALSO, HAVE STAM NOTIFY HOUSES ON TOP OF HILL JEO THE SPILL

I'll have links when i can get them, this is being covered by radio enthusiasts right now.

FreeRepublic Discussion
Quote courtesty of FreeRepublic members.

Links
CBS San Diego
ABC San Diego
NBC San Diego

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Wow, is this our missing tanker from NJ? What if it is, it traveled a long way. I hate to even say something like that, for how word of mouth gets around. Very intresting.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Wow, is this our missing tanker from NJ? What if it is, it traveled a long way. I hate to even say something like that, for how word of mouth gets around. Very intresting.

I doubt it, What did the tanker contain?

Unsure about evacuations yet too, i'm scouring for details.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Another source:
www.signonsandiego.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
here's a page with information on Chromium....
ceh.sric.sri.com... bstract.html

Chromium in its hexavalent oxidation state is identified by the U.S. EPA as one of the seventeen "high-priority" toxic chemicals that can cause several human health problems. Hexavalent chromium (chromium VI) is found in ammonium dichromate, chromic acid, sodium dichromate, sodium chromate and potassium dichromate. Symptoms of acute dermal exposure to chromium VI include irritated skin and mucous membranes. Ingestion can cause serious injury or death. Chronic exposure by inhalation can produce deep perforating nasal ulcers known as chrome holes. Chromium VI has been found to be mutagenic as well as carcinogenic in animal studies and is a Classification A human carcinogen.

All chromium compounds are considered hazardous substances under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) under the broad generic listing for chromium and compounds. The EPA specifies that chromium in drinking water from public water systems must be limited to a maximum contaminant level of 0.05 milligram per liter.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope they get this cleaned up quickly, I will search for more info on the chemical..

Link to PDF file on the chemical....
PDF REPORT on Inorganic Chromium

pics for reporter use

[edit on 21-7-2004 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It was empty. I dont know where Inorganic Chromium comes from, how easy is it to get? And has there been any stolen?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Just noticed that the story says it overturned but the pics associated with the story show the truck upright and pulled off to the side of the road.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
If you look at the tanker you'll see there are MULTIPLE rupture points.

Not one clean hole, looks like at least 3 of them.

No word on the driver.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It seems to be leaking from many points of the tanker, but if it overturned, I doubt that they would have uprighted it once they knew the dangers of the chemical it was leaking.

It appears the chemical is highly corrosive, could the tanker have been less than "up to standard" to carry this load?.....

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Residents are being evacuated.

They don't even know how to deal with this spill.

I think this'll go national on CNN or FOX very soon.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
3,000 gallons is not very much and on dry land does not present a very large threat. However it does disperse readily in water and will kill all life in a very wide area. I have used the chemical in off shore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. And we had to have a Coast Guard and EPA representative on board to monitor for leakage. Very tight situation.

TUT

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
News is suggesting that the earlier reopening point will be 0800 tomorrow.

And that is the "earliest" time.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
An update on the situation from this morning...

Traffic is jammed for miles as toxic acids leak from tanker truck

ESCONDIDO � A chemical spill on Interstate 15 turned yesterday evening's commute into a nightmare � and it may not be over by this morning.

Traffic was backed up for miles yesterday as the California Highway Patrol shut down the freeway in both directions after a cloud of corrosive acid began drifting from an 8,000-gallon tanker truck. Officials evacuated about 10 homes in the area east of where the truck stopped.

Authorities described the chemical mix as a corrosive cocktail of hydrochloric, nitric and hydrofluoric acids with chromic acid mixed in.

"It's the most severe kind of chemical you could be exposed to," said Matt Streck, a spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. "The fumes are toxic to the lungs and could cause a severe reaction, and toxic to the touch."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

top topics

join