It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal loophole for silencing religious fanatics?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I was walking through the mall with the wife and a group was handing out those miniature religious comic books. On the cover was a bible quote, under that a picture of a hearse, at the bottom were the words....
"Prepare To Meet Thy Maker"
I told my wife if I had the right lawyer I could have killed the guy who handed it to me, here's why.
I was outnumbered four to one, a man handed me a document with a picture of a vehicle used to transport the dead. In bold letters directly under the picture was a phrase used countless times in countless formats to indicate someones immenent demise. There are several films and novels where the bad guy says these exact words prior to dispatching his victim.
The picture of the hearse was placed on the cover by the author/publisher to elicit a response, in this case fear. The lawyer would have no problem getting the author/publisher to admit the picture was there to make people fear dying without finding salvation. So now we have superior numbers handing me a pamphlet designed to make me fear death containing text associated with my immenent demise. Fearing for my life I use deadly force to repel my attackers and then head to the food court for lunch.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
With the right lawyer, I could see how that could work. They made a menacing move towards you, you construed their actions to be those of wanting to do you physical harm and you reacted with self-defense.

There is freedom of speech and then there is speech designed to incite violence. If I hear or read something that is designed to incite violence or death and it is directed towards me, what else can I think but that the person or people who are saying such things wish to kill me? In a kill or be killed situation, I am not going to die.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

I had mailed a gospel tract in a card to my
grandchild's father.He and his wife TRIED
to file charges against me for threatening
their lives with the tract,it didn't work!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

yea i hate that too. like the mafia coming up to your door, accept jesus or die in hell, just tell em to stay off your property or you'll call the cops.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
can i take a guess here....

OP you must be american....correct?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Do you realize the fine line for self defense?
How can you justify killing another human
being for handing you a piece of paper?

I have a carry conceal license and I carry
a .38 in my purse.I would go to jail,lose my
license to carry and have all my guns confiscated
if I acted out in the manner being discussed here.

If someone approaches you with a gospel tract and
you don't want it,tell them NO!True christians will
not force the tracts on you.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm glad you used the smiley face at the end of your post. For a moment I thought you were serious about your post. Now I'm glad I don't have to tell my friends about the really strange guy on ATS. Thanks for a clever joke.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

A similar thought occured to me.

In my own very secular european country, it's technically legal to own and/or read Hitler's 'Mein Kampf'. To change this from a hypothetical position into encouraging anyone to actually manifest it practically is illegal. A functional compromise between freedom of speech and transgressing liberal rules.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Gee.
How did you guess?
Was it the wise ass tongue in cheek humor, the reacting with violence to a harmless intrusion or the use of lawyers to get away with murder?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

Gee.
How did you guess?
Was it the wise ass tongue in cheek humor, the reacting with violence to a harmless intrusion or the use of lawyers to get away with murder?

I told my wife if I had the right lawyer I could have killed the guy who handed it to me,

There are several films and novels where the bad guy says these exact words prior to dispatching his victim.

So now we have superior numbers handing me a pamphlet designed to make me fear death containing text associated with my immenent demise. Fearing for my life I use deadly force to repel my attackers and then head to the food court for lunch.

Its usually easy to spot... no offence of course

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Do you realize the fine line for self defense?
How can you justify killing another human
being for handing you a piece of paper?

I have a carry conceal license and I carry
a .38 in my purse.I would go to jail,lose my
license to carry and have all my guns confiscated
if I acted out in the manner being discussed here.

If someone approaches you with a gospel tract and
you don't want it,tell them NO!True christians will
not force the tracts on you.

First of all it was a joke, I've received a million such booklets and even though I think they're a little over the top I accept and read them out of respect for the effort put into them.
Second, I find it very disturbing that you own and carry a gun, in fact you seem to own several based on your phrase "all my guns". Perhaps you should take the time to read those pamphlets before you distribute them.
Lastly you state "true christians will not force the tracts on you" yet your first post describes family members so disturbed by your distribution of these that they filed charges against you.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I'm glad you used the smiley face at the end of your post. For a moment I thought you were serious about your post. Now I'm glad I don't have to tell my friends about the really strange guy on ATS. Thanks for a clever joke.

I'm happy you understood the joke, these days a little humor goes a very long way.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

A similar thought occured to me.

In my own very secular european country, it's technically legal to own and/or read Hitler's 'Mein Kampf'. To change this from a hypothetical position into encouraging anyone to actually manifest it practically is illegal. A functional compromise between freedom of speech and transgressing liberal rules.

On the other hand we can all take responsibility for our own actions instead of blaming the alphabet. I read Mein Kampf in college and it didn't make me hate Jews, it made me hate Hitler.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Gee.
How did you guess?

I told my wife if I had the right lawyer I could have killed the guy who handed it to me,

There are several films and novels where the bad guy says these exact words prior to dispatching his victim.

So now we have superior numbers handing me a pamphlet designed to make me fear death containing text associated with my immenent demise. Fearing for my life I use deadly force to repel my attackers and then head to the food court for lunch.

Its usually easy to spot... no offence of course

None taken. I do hope you understand this was meant as humor. Not all Americans are violent warmongers bent on world domination, some of us just want to eat a cheeseburger and take a nap on the couch.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

yup... thats all i want to do...

well not quite, no cheese burgers for me, but im always happy with a beer in my hand...

Its a Canadian sport ye know

edit on 20-3-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

well not quite, no cheese burgers for me, but im always happy with a beer in my hand...

I grew up in Etobicoke eh. My title was "landed immigrant". North or south of the border Labatts is the best beer around.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I grew up in Etobicoke eh. My title was "landed immigrant". North or south of the border Labatts is the best beer around.

No arguement there man

Blue Ftw!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I mean...I guess you could have...if this was some sort of odd action movie. I wouldn't support it. I would say that you'd have a legal basis to hurl verbal abuse without legal reprimand.

Alas, these people have the right to say what they want.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

edit on 20-3-2011 by mamabeth because: changed my mind

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Thanks for the true lol of the day..browsing around here can be kinda heavy at times!
Speaking of religious solicitations... I had some Jehovah woman start coming to my door. I was polite, took some of the literature,and of scourse, she started coming on a regular basis,as being polite is unfortunately taken as interest. This continued for several months, sometimes she had others with her, and if I was lucky and spotted her, I avoided her. One day she lands at my doorstep and my son answers the door. I come to the door and she had her son with her. She had a weird expression on her face as she took in my appearance and hustled her kid outta there fast! I had some "blasphemous" t-shirt on,can't remember what, probably a Trailer Park Boys shirt or some such. Never saw her again! If I had known it was that easy!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join