It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euro MPs exposed in 'cash-for-laws' scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Euro MPs exposed in 'cash-for-laws' scandal

www.wdm.org.uk

Journalists from the respected Insight investigative team have posed as financial lobbyists and have approached MEPs offering them large sums of money in return for watering down banking reform legislation.
Three MEPs took the bait and were employed by the fake lobbying company on a yearly salary of €100,000. One of those was 56 year old former Romanian deputy prime minister, Adrian Severin, who apparently emailed the journalists posing as lobbyists writing “Just to let you know that the amendment desired by you has been tabled in due time”. He then sent an invoice for €12,000.
The o
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Nice job undercover journalists .One of the rare cases which shows how journalism should be .

some snippet from the story

"These are pretty shocking revelations. But the most telling quote in the Sunday Times expose comes from Adrian Severin, “I didn’t do anything that was, let’s say, illegal or against any normal behaviour we have here”. As organisations that WDM works with like Spinwatch and Corporate Europe Observatory have long shown, dodgy lobbying by big corporations in this way is commonplace all over Europe, and the world "

Here is the video of Zoran Thaler slovenian mp caught live

www.wdm.org.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-3-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We need way more of this.

Enough Politicians.

I think Politicians and Cops should follow the same rule I made up, anyone WANTING to be one is not allowed to get the job.

It should be a hard, selfless and undesirable job that most people do not want to do and the ones that do them are bound to higher moral standards.

No politician should get paid above the districts AVERAGE single person income. Not a penny more.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

Enough Politicians.

I think Politicians and Cops should follow the same rule I made up, anyone WANTING to be one is not allowed to get the job.

The article says three MEPs took the bribe, what about the ones who were offered and refused, do you lump them in the same pile?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun

It should be a hard, selfless and undesirable job that most people do not want to do and the ones that do them are bound to higher moral standards.

Plato actually made up that rule too, thousands of years ago and wrote a book about it called the Republic. I highly recommend it.

OP- awesome find. We need to wake up to the fact that "democracy" is a sham at this point. Its totally controlled by corporate money and the corporate run and owned media. "We the people" are out of the equation and we need to get serious about getting ourselves back into the equation before this runaway train goes off a cliff.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A

The article says three MEPs took the bribe, what about the ones who were offered and refused, do you lump them in the same pile?

Well, not to be nitpicky, but being offered a bribe and refusing it does not mean you are not a crook.

It could mean you are a much better crook than the boneheaded crooks who took the bait. You see most politicians dont take money directly. They get "jobs" once they are out of office or get paid million to speak, or various things of that nature.

You only catch the bottom feeders with this type of setup, but its pretty telling that there are politicians that brazen and foolish.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Well, not to be nitpicky, but being offered a bribe and refusing it does not mean you are not a crook.

It doesn’t mean they are one either.

So on the basis that some are crooks do you consider them all to be crooks?

You say you want “the people” back in the democratic process but when someone takes the first steps they won’t get any support because as a politician, or someone wanted to take part in the political process, people will instantly be branded a crook.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Of course not.

Some of A is B is not logically equivalent to ALL of A is B.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

I would have to agree with that, my personal opinion is that those who covet power are generally not the type of character that should be in power. Not just from the point of view that they will become crooked either. There are the occassional exceptions to the rule, unfortunately in my experience, they've been few and far between.

Membership in the European Union seems to be becoming more of a bug bear amongst the population of Europe. The EU has definitely become a gravy train for the MEP's involved.

Here's hoping the juggernaut of bureaucracy that is the EU eventually gets whittled down into a slightly more functional format!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Of course not.

Some of A is B is not logically equivalent to ALL of A is B.

Then what was wrong with my question?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Nothing. I was just answering it. Of course the fact that some politicians are bad does not mean ALL of them are bad. Only someone really illogical would make that assumption.

But that logical fallacy is not the reason Plato argues the way he does in the Republic. Its just too hit and miss a method to hope that out of large numbers of people attracted to power for the wrong reasons you may get a handful who go into it for the right reasons.

He just argues that a city needs a more certain way to keep the corrupt from power than wishful thinking and luck.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Nothing. I was just answering it.

With all due respect you didn’t answer my question. My question was should all politicians be lumped in with the crooked ones. Your reply simply said that not being caught red handed didn’t mean they weren’t crooks which doesn’t answer my question unless you were implying they are all crooks which you weren’t.

But that’s beside the point; my problem with what kargun was suggesting is that if you do consider anyone who wants to be a politician as corrupt then you will never have any form of government because as soon as anyone steps up to change the system they’re destroyed by public opinion since they want to be a politician and therefore must be corrupt.

I haven’t even suggested that we should rely on wishful thinking and luck to avoid corruption, only that unbound cynicism is just as unhelpful.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Which is why I said in a separate post. Of course not. Some of A is B is not the same as ALL of A is B.

I did answer your question. You dont get to chose the wording I use. My answer is perfectly clear.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Now they just need to mix it up. Instead of just cash, offer future jobs, profitable speaking arrangements at some non-public business conference or presentation, or jobs to family members of representatives, or some gift like "business trips" to nice resorts and such. Some government people are a little wily to take cash directly, so that's why other bait needs to be offered.

Something like this also needs to be done here in the U.S. I wonder how the results would pan out amongst the congress critters. I don't think many would be kept in a favorable light, particularly if the fake lobbying was for some draconian and overly restrictive laws.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Which is why I said in a separate post.

After I prompted you again with my original question. Your first reply had nothing to do with what I asked, resulting in this going in circles.

Anyway, to reiterate my original point for the third time my problem with what kargun was suggesting is that if you do consider anyone who wants to be a politician as corrupt then you will never have any form of government because as soon as anyone steps up to change the system they’re destroyed by public opinion since they want to be a politician and therefore must be corrupt.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Which is why I said in a separate post.

After I prompted you again with my original question. Your first reply had nothing to do with what I asked, resulting in this going in circles.

Anyway, to reiterate my original point for the third time my problem with what kargun was suggesting is that if you do consider anyone who wants to be a politician as corrupt then you will never have any form of government because as soon as anyone steps up to change the system they’re destroyed by public opinion since they want to be a politician and therefore must be corrupt.

I figure that they are mostly corrupt, based on the fact that the human condition is largely corrupt, would not a system based on referendums be less corrupt, just a thought, but then again who would do the counting.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

No politician should get paid above the districts AVERAGE single person income. Not a penny more.

Politicians and other important figures of government are payed above average for a reason - so that they would not be easily bribed. Also, payments for them are just a miniscule amount of budget anyway. But their wage should be linked to average income of the public they represent, that is a good idea.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by Mike_A

But that logical fallacy is not the reason Plato argues the way he does in the Republic. Its just too hit and miss a method to hope that out of large numbers of people attracted to power for the wrong reasons you may get a handful who go into it for the right reasons.

He just argues that a city needs a more certain way to keep the corrupt from power than wishful thinking and luck.

So what system did Plato suggest to counteract this?

I think the question that Mike_A is alluding to it: If the people who want to do it aren't allowed, who is supposed to do what? Someone suggested referendums. Who organises them? Should there be a referendum on every crackpot idea someone puts forward, or should someone filter them? If so, who?

At some point you will need someone to do something or nothing will get done.

You have two tasks that need to be done (5 people per task) and 10 people available. One task is desirable (say, oiling up bikini babes in preparation for an oiled-up-bikini-babe-contest) and the other is detestable (standing knee-deep in the cesspit shoring up the walls to prevent it collapsing). Do you really rely on one of those people deciding to "take one for the team"?

If all 10 apply for the desirable task, who gets to choose which 5 are successful? Surely you'd want the decision to be made by the person with the best "people assessment" and managing skills. Who gets to choose the person who gets to choose? Who gets to choose the person who gets to choose who gets to choose, and so on ad infinitum. At some point there has to be someone in a position of authority who can make a decision. If you exclude everyone who wants to be there, you are left with the people who don't care or don't want to be there - do you really want governance to be pushed into the hands of someone who is apathetic or downright hostile to the idea of taking charge?

To paraphrase, it might not be a good system, but it's the least worst out of the ones tried so far.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by marsend

I figure that they are mostly corrupt, based on the fact that the human condition is largely corrupt, would not a system based on referendums be less corrupt, just a thought, but then again who would do the counting.

Direct democracy has its own problems, for one does the average man on the street have the time, inclination or the knowledge to scrutinise every piece of legislation? I’m not against the idea but I do consider it a gamble and I think the population would take some getting used to it; i.e. I’d expect a lot of kneejerk, tabloid led laws getting passed to our long term detriment.

Also, what Bob said.

top topics

join