posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:08 PM
These are the laws that really govern the universe. Well at least sometimes they seem to.
If anything can go wrong, it will.
O’Tool’s Commentary on Murphy’s Law
Murphy was an optimist.
The Unspeakable Law
As soon as you mention something…..
….if it’s good it goes away.
….if it’s bad, it happens.
Nonreciprocal Laws of Expectations
Negative expectations yield negative results.
Positive expectations yield negative results
Every man has a scheme that will not work
Zymurgy’s First Law of Evolving Systems Dynamics
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger can.
The other line moves faster
Skinner’s Constant (Flannagan’s Finagling Factor)
That quantity which, when multiplied by, divided by, added to, or subtracted from the answer you get, gives you the answer you should have
Law of Selective Gravity
An object will fall so as to do the most damage
The chance of the bread fallin with the buttered side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.
Gordon’s First Law
If a research project is not worth doing at all, it is not worth doing well.
If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.
Hoare’s Law of Large Problem
Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out
Borren’s First Law
When in doubt, mumble
The Golden Rule of Arts and Sciences
Whoever has the gold makes the rules
There are two types of people: those who divide people into two groups, and those who don’t
A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project schedules
The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90%
Farber’s Fourth Law
Necessity is the mother of strange bedfellows
[Edited on 21-7-2004 by BlackJackal]