It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong Earthquakes Increasing. Disrupting Planet's Magnetic Field?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
There have been 16 quakes over 5.0M in the past 14 hours of Sunday March 20, compared with 9 on Saturday the 19th; 15 on Friday the 18th; and 11 on Thursday the 17th - according to the European-Meditteranean Seismological Centre.

Even assuming that reports were censored on March 19 to defer panic about the Super Moon, earthquake activity seems to be accelerating suddenly and dramatically. The trend started in the 1990's, when 6+ quakes jumped in frequency by 50%.

Scientists link melting glaciers to earthquakes

…the number and severity of earthquakes appear to have increased over the last 30 years in tandem with accelerating glacial melt.

Some experts claim that jump can be explained by the increased number of seismograph stations …

But this does not explain the recent increase in major earthquakes, which are defined as above 6 on the Richter magnitude scale. Japan's earthquake was a 9.0.

…The U.S. Geological Survey says there were 1,085 major earthquakes in the 1980s. This increased in the 1990s by about 50 per cent to 1,492 and to 1,611 from 2000 to 2009. Last year, and up to and including the Japanese quake, there were 247 major earthquakes.

There has been also a noticeable increase in the sort of extreme quakes that hit Japan. In the 1980s, there were four mega-quakes, six in the 1990s and 13 in the last decade. So far this decade there have been two.

Most likely, the Earth's increased earthquake and volcanic activities result from a convergence of multiple factors - reflected by alterations to and disruptions of the planet's magnetosphere. Unfortunately, the best magnetosphere monitoring site is in Japan, and has been down since March 14, 2011. Post 11th images show increasing disruptions in the field.

If my observations hold up, then most likely the correlation is being covered up. ...It's my hobby, not my job; the professionals would have flagged it long ago.

NOTE: I've been monitoring magnetosphere fluctuations for a while, but assumed solar flares disrupted the field causing earthquakes. When I looked for confirming data, I discovered that earthquakes appeared to be a stronger cause of magnetic field disruptions.

...Hoping others will check the data, confirm the correlations.

Thanks, sofi

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

just S&F...really great data gathering...love the links...

btw.. Could you go to my ATS question post here and see if you can help me? Please? Thanks...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

3 more quakes over 5M have happened in the past 2 hours, bringing today's over-5M total up to 19 - with the day only 2/3 gone (8 hours left).

2011-03-20 17:12:25.0
1hr 50min ago
24.85 S 70.09 W 50 5.2 ANTOFAGASTA, CHILE
2011-03-20 17:08:54.0
1hr 53min ago
37.21 N 143.88 E 10 5.4 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-20 15:51:20.0
3hr 11min ago
36.44 N 143.38 E 10 5.0 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

There have been 16 quakes over 5.0M in the past 14 hours of Sunday March 20

I feel tempted to say is there some point to this, but instead I will just say that the whole of the "extra" numbers are coming as a result of the Tokohu aftershocks which is not exactly unexpected.

There have been 16 quakes in this area alone, out the 24 for the 20th March. That means that 8 were not off Honshu and whilst this is slightly above the norm (5 to 6 per day) it is nothing out of the ordinary.

Yesterday there were 10 Mag 5 and only 2 were at Honshu. The day before that there were 14 and 12 were at Honshu. The area is settling down. This is to be expected.

If you (can) filter out the effects of Tokohu you will find that 'strong' earthquakes are not increasing, but then you should not need to filter them out as they are all part of the normal cyclical nature of these things. There will be one or possibly two more major quakes in the next couple of years and then there will be another lull. That is the way it goes.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Here is an interesting interview with a Russian earthquake expert. Talking
about 25 year cycles in seismic activity.

rt.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by remymartin

I would definitely go along with that point of view.

Thanks for providing the link.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
With reference to my post but one above it just happens that another member has done exactly the excercise of looking at the current earthquakes with Japan removed from the figures.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Originally posted by PuterMan

Please note: As stated in my OP, my main interest here is in earthquake's impacts on the planet's magnetic field - which is where I'd like to focus. [I suspect there may be a feedback loop between the field and seismic activity, perhaps triggered initially by solar storms.] That said, I would like to respond to your main points.

There have been 16 quakes over 5.0M in the past 14 hours of Sunday March 20

I feel tempted to say is there some point to this, but instead I will just say that the whole of the "extra" numbers are coming as a result of the Tokohu aftershocks which is not exactly unexpected.

The +5M quakes are mainly near Honshu yes, but the whole Ring of Fire is zinging - from Taiwan and the Philippines to Indonesia, Tonga and down to New Zealand - with lots more -5M, many from Alaska down the coast to Mexico - and in Columbia and Chile.

Yesterday there were 10 Mag 5 and only 2 were at Honshu. The day before that there were 14 and 12 were at Honshu. The area is settling down. This is to be expected. ...If you (can) filter out the effects of Tokohu you will find that 'strong' earthquakes are not increasing,

So far, I'm counting 20 +5M quakes today, of which 14 are near Honshu, Japan. ...Looks to me like the area is NOT settling down - the stronger "aftershocks" in the area are increasing (ie., from 2 yesterday to 14 today) - and so is the frequency of +5M quakes throughout the Ring.

There will be one or possibly two more major quakes in the next couple of years and then there will be another lull. That is the way it goes.

One article cited in the OP reports that major earthquakes started increasing dramatically in the 1990's, in both frequency and severity. The trend described does NOT show any tapering off. Can you address this please:

the number and severity of earthquakes appear to have increased over the last 30 years ...

...(including a) recent increase in major earthquakes, which are defined as above 6 on the Richter magnitude scale. Japan's earthquake was a 9.0.

…The U.S. Geological Survey says there were 1,085 major earthquakes in the 1980s. This increased in the 1990s by about 50 per cent to 1,492 and to 1,611 from 2000 to 2009. Last year, and up to and including the Japanese quake, there were 247 major earthquakes.

There has been also a noticeable increase in the sort of extreme quakes that hit Japan. In the 1980s, there were four mega-quakes, six in the 1990s and 13 in the last decade. So far this decade there have been two.

edit on 20/3/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Please note: As stated in my OP, my main interest here is in earthquake's impacts on the planet's magnetic field - which is where I'd like to focus. [I suspect there may be a feedback loop between the field and seismic activity, perhaps triggered initially by solar storms.]

As that is a particular interest of mine as well then yes let us get the other bit out of the way first and then discuss whether the quakes have an impact on the magnetic field, or the other way round as I suspect.

The +5M quakes are mainly near Honshu yes, but the whole Ring of Fire is zinging - from Taiwan and the Philippines to Indonesia, Tonga and down to New Zealand - with lots more -5M, many from Alaska down the coast to Mexico - and in Columbia and Chile.

(Edit: The number of mag 5 quakes today has NOT increased the energy output sufficiently to turn the slow settlement downwards back to an upward trend. I have added a chart to show mag 5 output to the page I refer to later to show you this.)

I see no evidence for that. Can you support that statement. Colombia - 1 quake currently. A 4.7 which is not above normal for the area. Chile 1 x 5.0 which again is not above normal. 13 in this month - not above normal.

Taiwan may have a couple at present but across the past 365 days the rate is pretty steady and averages just over one a day. The magnitudes over the past 365 days are also steady at an average of 4.7 mag.

Tonga is also steady over the last 365 days. It had a small spurt last November but that has calmed down. Magnitudes are very slightly down.

Philippines steady. Small burst last October. Magnitudes steady

Indonesia steady over the past 365 days but with a burst in November. Magnitudes steady.

Alaska steady. New Zealand - yes I agree with you there. In fact the only areas that are currently above average are Japan, New Zealand and Arkansas.

By the way my data is drawn from databases such as the USGS, EMSC and GeoNet with some entries from NEIC, NOA (Greece) Vedur (Iceland) and Chile. The first three I collect automatically every day, in fact every 5 minutes and are stored in an SQL database, the remainder I collect periodically - usually manually. There are in excess of 500,000 quakes in my database.

So far, I'm counting 20 +5M quakes today, of which 14 are near Honshu, Japan. ...Looks to me like the area is NOT settling down - the stronger "aftershocks" in the area are increasing (ie., from 2 yesterday to 14 today) - and so is the frequency of +5M quakes throughout the Ring.

To save me re-entering all the data please take a look at this with regard to Japan. That was updated yesterday. I have not done today's update yet.

One article cited in the OP reports that major earthquakes started increasing dramatically in the 1990's, in both frequency and severity. The trend described does NOT show any tapering off. Can you address this please:

Please look at the 2010 report in my signature. Whilst this does not address the 1990s it shows that there is no significant increase over the decade of the 0-ies. I will be bringing the 1990 figures in, but in the meantime as far as earthquakes over Mag 7 you might like to study the work of ATS member muzzy who is compiling a world mapping for 7+. You can find it here

The mega quakes do go in cycles.

Why is it that everyone is so intent on areas that normally have high seismicity and yet chose to ignore unusual seismicity at places like Amurskaya which sits right under a volcano? I have seen no one comment on that at all.

I will reply on the magnetic element in another post.

edit on 20/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Originally posted by soficrow

Please note: As stated in my OP, my main interest here is in earthquake's impacts on the planet's magnetic field - which is where I'd like to focus. [I suspect there may be a feedback loop between the field and seismic activity, perhaps triggered initially by solar storms.]

As that is a particular interest of mine as well then yes let us get the other bit out of the way first and then discuss whether the quakes have an impact on the magnetic field, or the other way round as I suspect.

To clarify, it seems clear to me that the relationship goes well beyond uni-directional cause-and-effect, and systems theory is more applicable here. Here's what I see happening, simplified:

1. Solar storms disrupt the magnetic field and thereby, trigger earthquakes.

Evidence is starting to mount in favour of a strong cause and effect relationship between major solar magnetic eruptions and powerful tectonic events on Earth.

2. Once an earthquake occurs, it triggers more quakes: Quakes Trigger Quakes.

3. Earthquakes generate electromagnetic and electric phenomena independent of solar activity that may rebound to impact the earth's magnetosphere, destabilizing it further and establishing a feedback loop. …This may be one of the mechanisms by which quakes trigger more quakes.

…during the last stages of earthquake formation, fractures emit electromagnetic waves with increasing frequency able to penetrate into the ionosphere and magnetosphere, ...

4. Magnetosphere simulations on Japan's Space Weather Simulation site clearly illustrate that magnetic field disruptions started by solar flares can be exacerbated and sustained by subsequent earthquakes. I'm saying this evidence supports my "feedback loop" hypothesis.

For example: the Haiti and Japan quakes…
Haiti Quake -

Japan Quake -

The number of mag 5 quakes today has NOT increased the energy output sufficiently to turn the slow settlement downwards back to an upward trend. I have added a chart to show mag 5 output to the page I refer to later to show you this.

Given that the amount of stress required to cause a "break" is relative - and contingent on the condition of the material being stressed - I am not sure how relevant the "total energy output" actually is, in the larger scheme of things. Ie., if a material is already fractured, it will take less energy to break it.

Granted, it is comforting to know that everything is not spiraling totally out of control.

Please look at the 2010 report in my signature. Whilst this does not address the 1990s it shows that there is no significant increase over the decade of the 0-ies.

The report is that earthquakes have increased in number and severity in the past 30 years, so any pertinent response would need to compare pre-1980's with post 80's data.

…This report relates earthquakes' increase to glacial melting; I would relate the increase to intensified mining, drilling and oil and gas extraction (compromising the integrity of the earth's crust and as well, by altering historic areas of conductivity / non-conductivity).

edit on 21/3/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Hi...I find the theories put forth by some on ATS, such as the likes of Puterman, Robin Marks, Jim Berkland to name a few, on what may trigger an earthquake fascinating. The same goes for yours too and have to say that it makes sense to say that the geomagnetic influence of the Sun has a correlation on Earth.

For me, I believe that all you guys are on to something and have found part of the truth, a disjointed view with regard to several factors that may trigger an Earthquake. Its akin to several people viewing a mountain from different perspectives, all seeing the same subject but each having his own view of it

To assume that the Sun can have a direct effect with regard to Earthquakes is not far fetched. It still amazes me each time I stand out in the blazing sun and feel its heat on my skin, knowing that the warm sensation is the direct cause of the sun's massive heat which had traveled 93mil miles to reach Earth...yet still able to be felt. I suppose that is why and perhaps, the oldest form of worship is that of sun worship.

Besides its geomagnetic influence, does ELF emitted during a solar flare or CME have any bearing on Earth and earthquakes? If I am not mistaken, ELF is present when an Earthquake occurs. Is this what the animals are hearing or sensing? Would appreciate it if you guys could clarify this....thanks.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Surya68

Hi...I find the theories put forth by some on ATS, such as the likes of Puterman, Robin Marks, Jim Berkland to name a few, on what may trigger an earthquake fascinating. The same goes for yours too and have to say that it makes sense to say that the geomagnetic influence of the Sun has a correlation on Earth.

Thank you. I'm flattered.

...several factors that may trigger an Earthquake. Its akin to several people viewing a mountain from different perspectives, all seeing the same subject but each having his own view of it

Besides its geomagnetic influence, does ELF emitted during a solar flare or CME have any bearing on Earth and earthquakes? If I am not mistaken, ELF is present when an Earthquake occurs. Is this what the animals are hearing or sensing? Would appreciate it if you guys could clarify this....thanks.

ULF and ELF are precursor emissions to quakes. I think solar-related ULF and ELF occur before and after flares, but during flares the frequencies are high. ...Regenmacher is the guy who will know. Also see: Severe Geomagnetic Storm Research Project.

Sorry - am into reading right now, not writing.

Just found this site - I suspect it may have lots of info and leads, and might have answers for you.

From the smallest particle to the largest galactic formation, a web of electrical circuitry connects and unifies all of nature, organizing galaxies, energizing stars, giving birth to planets and, on our own world, controlling weather and animating biological organisms. There are no isolated islands in an electric universe.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Sorry this is going to have to be a quick reply. (And also don't expect this thread to be fast moving! Things need to be researched and I have a project just started workwise.)

Once an earthquake occurs, it triggers more quakes

Yes, within reason it does. This has been known for some time. The trigger is by the amplitude of the wave that passes through. For a seismograph to work the ground has to move so even a quake registered the other side of the world has moved the ground, albeit slowly.

3. Earthquakes generate electromagnetic and electric phenomena independent of solar activity that may rebound to impact the earth's magnetosphere, destabilizing it further and establishing a feedback loop. …This may be one of the mechanisms by which quakes trigger more quakes.

Possibly but the electromagnetic energy output by a quake area before it happens is quite small, and indeed is not that great during the earthquake as far as I can tell - but I am not commenting just yet as I am still researching.

4. Magnetosphere simulations

I am afraid those pretty pictures are completely meaningless to me. I need hard data. Graphs are great, but the data behind then is what matters. No matter, I am sourcing data on this. A picture of a wavy spider does nothing for me. I must be too old I think!

I am not sure how relevant the "total energy output" actually is, in the larger scheme of things.

Believe me it is paramount! The number and magnitude of earthquakes is meaningless - a sop to the public. The energy of the quakes is what matters every time. One day, when the USGS has read a few more of my earthquake reports, they will realise that I am right and they will stop publishing earthquake numbers, or at least publish energy figures along side. I do note that more and more people are starting to use energy rather than magnitude which is good.

so any pertinent response would need to compare pre-1980's with post 80's data.

Absolutely. I agree, unfortunately I just have not had time to do that. The biggest problem however is that the number of seismic stations has increased massively since the 60s and this does have an effect on detection - even of large ones. Research is not just a matter of taking the USGS figures. Every nook and cranny has to be researched to get a worldwide figure but much of the time I meet blank walls.

Chile for example. I have emailed them in English and Spanish a few time now looking for data that I know they have on older quakes. I know they have got the emails as i got a delivery receipt. But no read receipt. Either they are not being read - strange for their main Geofisica email address - or they are being ignored.

By the way comparing one year to another year is also pointless to a degree, even though it was what I did in my report. What should be done is a rolling year based on at least monthly or possibly weekly energy - THAT is massive, but I have made a start.

This report relates earthquakes' increase to glacial melting

Since the warmists are bleating about the ice cap in Greenland melting one has to ask then where are the earthquakes??????

We all know that isostatic rebound has an effect but that report is just basically warmist alarmism backed up mainly by supposition and no real evidence, but then of course you don't need evidence to be an alarmist..

You have to remember that the 'men in white coats that guess' (scientists) have to pretend to do something worthwhile to earn their massive funding - and believe me for global warming subjects it is massive.

We have had particular success with NERC grants this summer with three in Earth Sciences including £566K to Nicola de Paola for a project 'Fault lubrication during earthquake propagation in thermally unstable rocks' and £391K to Mark Allen entitled 'Organic plateau magmatism'; and five awards to Geography including £231K to Antony Long for his research 'Late glacial sea level minima in the western British Isles' and £246K for David Milledge's project "Understanding transient response to climate change in coupled hydro-eco-geomorphic landscapes'

Source: Durham University and that is just 1 uni and not really for global warming !!

I read 'fault lubrication'. I would not have paid them £56K for it.

Edit: Just notice you are getting into the Electric Universe

Just found this site - I suspect it may have lots of info and leads, and might have answers for you.

It has but be prepared for much flack from the 'astronomers' in white coats!

I have assembled a few bits here

edit on 21/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Okay - we're 17 hours into the day, and there've already been 20 over-5M earthquakes, 5 of them over 6M (4 near Honshu, 1 in the mid-atlantic ridge). ...As I said in my u2u last night, I felt like I was hit by a truck and that something was up - looks like this was it. ...Is there more to come? Do you still think things are slowing down? ...haven't checked the solar flare situation, but last I looked, nothing very big was on the way. (?)

2011-03-22 17:49:50.0
1hr 19min ago
35.36 N 140.80 E 2 5.0 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 16:12:06.0
2hr 57min ago
35.80 N 141.53 E 10 5.7 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 16:05:47.0
3hr 03min ago
35.79 N 141.61 E 10 5.3 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 15:49:28.0
3hr 19min ago
39.24 N 142.31 E 30 5.4 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 15:03:46.0
4hr 05min ago
35.87 N 141.56 E 10 6.1 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

2011-03-22 14:45:23.0
4hr 23min ago
33.20 S 15.88 W 33 5.0 SOUTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE
2011-03-22 13:50:51.0
5hr 18min ago
35.88 N 141.58 E 10 5.9 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 13:31:29.0
5hr 37min ago
33.03 S 16.02 W 10 6.2 SOUTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

2011-03-22 12:56:25.0
6hr 12min ago
37.12 N 144.01 E 29 5.8 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 12:04:07.0
7hr 05min ago
36.23 N 141.40 E 34 5.5 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 12:01:22.0
7hr 07min ago
36.89 N 143.36 E 2 5.6 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 11:21:38.0
7hr 47min ago
39.81 N 143.09 E 25 5.5 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 10:18:58.0
8hr 50min ago
40.30 N 142.47 E 10 5.2 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 09:44:28.0
9hr 24min ago
39.89 N 143.45 E 10 6.6 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 09:19:06.0
9hr 50min ago
37.35 N 141.83 E 30 6.3 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

F
2011-03-22 07:18:45.0
11hr 50min ago
37.23 N 144.09 E 10 6.6 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

2011-03-22 05:59:35.0
35.74 N 141.66 E 23 5.2 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 05:44:32.2
57.44 S 25.83 W 84 5.0 SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS REGION
2011-03-22 03:38:34.0
35.26 N 141.01 E 10 5.9 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011-03-22 01:13:47.0
36.15 N 141.80 E 33 5.1 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

edit on 22/3/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I don't think that a three mag 6 today and a few mag 5s is anything out of the ordinary to be honest considering the jolt the area had.

If you take a look at the first 2 months following Chile in Feb last year you will see a similar pattern. It is way too soon after yet to make any judgement on the size of the quakes I feel personally.

Based on data from my database gathered from USGS and EMSC public listings.

By the way the 6.1 was reduced to a 5.8 making it 3 not 4 in Honshu.

edit on 22/3/2011 by PuterMan because: To make the image slidey cos it wasn't.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I don't think that a three mag 6 today and a few mag 5s is anything out of the ordinary to be honest considering the jolt the area had.

Are you drinking?

...There were two quakes at 6.6M, one at 6.3, and another at 6.1 near and off the coast of East Honshu. Between 22:12 and 22:53 there were 3 quakes in Eastern Honshu: 5.0, 5.5 and 5.6. Between 1:13 and 19:09 there were 15 more quakes ranging in magnitude from 5.0 to 5.9 off the coast of East Honshu. ...At 23:14 there was a 5.2 in the MINAMI-TORI-SHIMA, JAPAN REGION.

- so out of the 27 earthquakes over 5M that happened by 23:14 today, 23 hit Japan - and 4 were over 6M.

...You call this a "few."

PLUS - I was addressing your earlier claim that seismic activity was "tapering off." ...Thought you were sincere, but here you are doing damage control. Pah.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Yes I call it a few under the circumstances. If this was not in a period following a 9.0 then it would indeed be excessive but after a quake of that magnitude it is not. This 9.0 is following almost the exact patterns of Chile and Banda Aceh and is quieter today as you will have noted I hope.

You can still expect an 8 in the next month or so.

Thought you were sincere, but here you are doing damage control. Pah.

What exactly do you mean by damage control? I am not exactly sure what it is that you think might be being controlled? I study earthquakes OK. Overall the activity in Japan is subsiding. Yes there will be days where there are more and bigger earthquakes. That is the nature of aftershocks. I see nothing there that does not fit the patterns so far. Why are you getting so excited about a few mag 6 earthquakes, especially since that is actually quite normal for that area. Agreed not usually more than one at a time, but I have explained that.

You will in fact see the number of quakes round the world dropping over the next 2 years before they build up again if 'normal' patterns unfold.

In what way are you considering that I am not sincere? I would have thought that if you looked at my posts and my links blog you would realise I am VERY sincere about earthquakes, but I am not excitable.
edit on 23/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Hmm. It's quieted down somewhat but - new quakes seem to be migrating to the surface. Here are the 13 quakes that occurred between 15:14 and 18:30 - ALL are 10K or less deep. [Haven't gone back - but the shallowness was holding last time I checked.] ...So what do you make of it? And the new eruption from Sakajura?

2011-03-23 18:30:46.7
51min ago
39.95 N 143.22 E 2K*
5.0 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

2011-03-23 18:13:26.0
1hr 08min ago
40.57 N 34.80 E 2K*
3.2 CENTRAL TURKEY

2011-03-23 17:57:11.2
1hr 25min ago
36.96 N 24.36 E 10K*
3.0 SOUTHERN GREECE

2011-03-23 17:31:53.0
1hr 50min ago
43.65 N 7.49 E 2K*
2.3 NEAR SOUTH COAST OF FRANCE

2011-03-23 17:25:22.7
1hr 56min ago
38.58 N 40.56 E 9K*
2.8 EASTERN TURKEY

2011-03-23 17:15:37.4
2hr 06min ago
39.67 N 22.55 E 10K*
2.4 GREECE

2011-03-23 17:12:59.3
2hr 09min ago
39.03 N 22.58 E 10K*
2.4 GREECE

2011-03-23 17:05:50.6
2hr 16min ago
15.53 N 45.02 W 10K*
4.8 NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

2011-03-23 17:02:00.0
2hr 20min ago
39.59 N 143.40 E 10K*
4.9 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

2011-03-23 16:03:32.8
3hr 18min ago
39.78 N 143.65 E 5K*
4.9 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

2011-03-23 15:30:52.0
3hr 51min ago
34.78 N 25.08 E 1K*
4.3 CRETE, GREECE

2011-03-23 15:29:02.0
3hr 53min ago
37.86 N 32.20 E 2K*
3.1 CENTRAL TURKEY

2011-03-23 15:26:16.0
3hr 56min ago
38.65 N 24.28 E 2K*
2.6 AEGEAN SEA

2011-03-23 15:14:16.1
4hr 08min ago
44.40 N 80.87 E 10K*
3.8 KAZAKHSTAN-XINJIANG BORDER REG.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a1af2830bb46.png[/atsimg]

Depths over the past 3 days from my database. (Mag 5+)

I will do a better one for tomorrow - that was just a quick one. Actually looks as if they were overall a bit deeper today but that is just casting an eye. Needs a proper analysis.

Here is a marginally better one going down to 4.0 and over the full time since the initial 7.2 foreshock.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/189d75f401be.png[/atsimg]

Data derived from USGS public lists.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Your graph doesn't look right at all.

There were 13 quakes in a row today between 15:14 and 18:30 - and ALL were between 1K and 10K deep.

[True, they weren't all in Japan.] ...Let me sleep, maybe come back tomorrow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join