It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya to give weapons to one million people: report

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TREASONFX
Still makes no sense to send a fighter jet on a 3000mile round trip to libya and back to UK when the same targets could of been took out by jets in the area

well now, you may be getting a lil technical.
Depending on the sortie and the munition used
may have required a specific aircraft that was
not in theater and could be refueled in air.
While they may have some jets in the area,
maybe a special one was required for
particular targets.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

No English bias here so you can put that in the bottom drawer as its gets very tiring. I am commenting on the Libyan situation and NOTHING else.

The English goverment have been the ones pushing the need for attacks from day one. I think you are being very short sighted as to the real situation.

Maybe you should click the link in my post rather than watch Cameron giving his so full on "british speech".

The power of the media is very scary!!

In 2008 Britain approved arms sales to Libya worth some $18 million and $13.5 million in the first quarter of 2009.
Prime Minister Tony Blair, accompanied by the CEO of MBDA, a European missile manufacturer in which Britain's BAE Systems has a 37.5 percent stake, made a high-profile visit to meet Gadhafi in May 2007.

Read more: www.upi.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This is just to make a civil war type scenario so western countries will be forced to sit out whilst Rebels and pro Gaddafi civilians + Gaddafis army can fight it out without any repercussions.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
but in terms of last nights bombardment, it would have taken
them too long to forward deploy then attack.

u r exactly correct.
star for u

there was a sense of urgency since the rebels
were hanging on by a string in the east.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish Matador

No English bias here so you can put that in the bottom drawer as its gets very tiring. I am commenting on the Libyan situation and NOTHING else.

The English goverment have been the ones pushing the need for attacks from day one. I think you are being very short sighted as to the real situation.

If you have no anti-English bias, then stop calling it the damned "English Government"! England has no Government! In fact, it is the only country in the Union NOT to have it's own Government! The last two PM's were Scottish for crying out loud!

Originally posted by Irish Matador
Maybe you should click the link in my post rather than watch Cameron giving his so full on "british speech".

The power of the media is very scary!!

In 2008 Britain approved arms sales to Libya worth some $18 million and $13.5 million in the first quarter of 2009.
Prime Minister Tony Blair, accompanied by the CEO of MBDA, a European missile manufacturer in which Britain's BAE Systems has a 37.5 percent stake, made a high-profile visit to meet Gadhafi in May 2007.

Read more: www.upi.com...

MBDA is also part French and German owned. You neglect to tell that part don't you? They are the one's who supplied the Milan ATM's etc. The only British systems sold were Bowman radio's.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Bowman radios? Are you just lying like the your politicans or you just have your head in the sand?

I hope its the latter.

In Britain, the Campaign Against the Arms Trade reports that "the UK Government had approved the export of goods including tear gas and crowd control ammunition and sniper rifles to Bahrain and Libya". The arms-promotion wing of the UK government counts Libya as a "priority market", and says "high-level political interventions" have supported UK weapons sales there. Last November, over half of the exhibitors at the Libyan Defence & Security Exhibition (LibDex) were UK companies.

ohuiginn.net...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is what I wrote earlier on another thread in regards to the people of Libya:

My biggest concern is the people. When the initial 'anti-qaddafi' rebels start seeing the ones they care about, the neutral bystanders & other fellow 'anti-qaddafi' rebels blown to pieces... Once that realization sets in.... Will the rebels turn against the coalition?

Right now the rebels are thinking its good that they're being helped out and that the bombings by the coalition will end very soon. However, I have a bad feeling that the bombings are only going to continue and the body count is only going to grow.

Thats the realization I'm speaking of. When the rebels voices once again won't be heard, this time their voices will fall on deaf ears among coalition forces.

My question is: What will these initial rebels be called once they turn against the coalition & start standing up for themselves? Will they be called 'terrorists', 'insurgents' or even worse: 'Qaddafi supporters'?

I'm all for getting rid of Qaddafi and letting the people of Libya work it out. But this might be Iraq all over again. Time will tell...
Link

Qaddafi is implementing a smart move by united all fellow Libyans together by arming them. This move sets up an unconcious unity to fight against 'outsiders'.

This was NEVER about simply taking out Qaddafi.

Hell, they could of done that silently: 'car accident', 'heart complication', 'poisoning' or 'plane incident'. But instead the coalition forces elected to utilize Brute Force which ultimately sets the scene to become an occupation.

There is already outcry coming from the Libyan people about innocent deaths & hospitals being hit and other hospitals filling up from these recent bombings. Well, I guess thats what happens when you launch 100+ missiles... Ridiculous & the MSM is saying it'll help the Libyan people, lol.

I'll admit up front that I'm not familiar w/ Libyas history but I can tell you that this was solely about obtaining a strategic military position w/ an added bonus of natural resources. If the coalition forces were really concerned about the people of Libya, there would be a silent regime change...

Libyan people are in for a long fight - whether they know it or not. . .

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

Oh wow.. tear gas.. Licenses were revoked within days of this all kicking off.

And I thought we were talking proper weapons? Previously, you claimed we sold them Rapier! Don't see you backing that up since I called you out on it. In fact, you dubiously stopped posting in that thread and switched to this one....

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I don't believe anything coming out that whack-job's mouth.

I'm sure he doesn't have a million guns to give out. It would be impossible to give all those out and be sure they were friendly to him by the deadline he set, even if he did have the guns.

Any trucks loaded with weapons & ammo would probably be taken out in short order as well.

NOTE: For all you people bemoaning the air to ground attacks, get a grip; you can't do a no-fly zone without first taking out surface to air missiles and other anti-aircraft weaponry. But if a few tanks and trucks get clobbered, so's the better

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Send me a u2u with reference link.

I have no idea what you are referring to and I dont want to interupt this thread. Ty

edit on 20-3-2011 by Irish Matador because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Ah, dude...

Now I have to go through the dozen or so Libya threads to find your post...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Also, it is rather brave of him to do this. Surely not all of those 1 million are die-hard supporters. Surely he runs the risk of arming the very people he is fighting against?

Or.......................................the MSM is lying to us, and the people of Libya really arent rising up against Gaddafi and this is all a manufactured scenario. Like he has been arguing the whole time.

WE are the ones attacking the Libyan people and airstriking Libya.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Please post as I dont even know what Rapier is plus I dont think we have ever crossed paths on ATS.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

What the Arab League want and what it gets are different animals I am afraid.

Be careful what you wish for, some countries took it as a green light to bomb the crap out of Libya. I agree with you regarding the actions of these so called statesmen, but they will never be brought to trial.

Blair, Bush, Rumsfield and Cheney have evaded this, so we will see the same with this bunch.

Nevermind, Syria next, then onto Iran.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

There is always the possibility that the UK jets could be getting quietly resupplied at an airfield in Tunisia or Egypt, or Italy too.

I mention Italy because it's a Nato country. I'm not very familiar UK fighter loadouts, but I'd think because of Nato considerations, a lot of Nato member nations would have ammo and missiles that could be mounted on each others planes.
edit on 20-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Just to correct you on one thing and this isn't having a dig.

The English do not have their own parliamnet. The Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish do, but not the English. So can you please start referring to the politicians as British.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Gaddafi would do anything to stay in power , including the creation of a civil war. I actually thik he is very excited about it! When the revolt started he was actually encouraging his supporters to be violent against the people having the courage to express their frustration of living under a 42 years Mafia-style dictatorship. I guess the only solution would be to split the country in half, the Gaddafi lovers to stay in the west, the rebels to go in the east then close the borders. It is hard to understand how some people actually love to live under dictatorship! I guess 40 years was enough to psychologically condition some people to see dictatorship as "normality" .. i have the feeling it is going to turn quite ugly!
edit on 20-3-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Didnt realise that. Thanks for pointing out!! Something new learned today!!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Wow... if true it seems like he's really scared of all those civilians he's been butchering

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
I mention Italy because it's a Nato country. I'm not very familiar UK fighter loadouts, but I'd think because of Nato considerations, a lot of Nato member nations would have ammo and missiles that could be mounted on each others planes

very true
that works on paper
but in reality, missiles get upgraded
and sometimes there is a delay of
a universal craft upgrade implementation
to follow.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join