It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya to give weapons to one million people: report

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Libya to give weapons to one million people: report

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Libya's government has begun distributing arms to more than one million people and will complete the operation within hours, the state news agency reported on Sunday.

Jana news agency quoted sources in Libya's defense ministry as saying they "expected the operation to end in the next hours to arm more than a million men and women."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Is Gadaffi expecting an invasion the likes of Iraq? He wouldn't be giving weapons to people that he sees as against him. If the Libyan population is against Gadaffi, then why is he arming them? The total population is 6 million, so he's providing arms to 17% of the population?

I have a feeling this isn't going to end nicely...

www.reuters.com

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
He has all the rights to defend his country.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
They have 1 million guns ready to give out? That's alot of guns!

Also, it is rather brave of him to do this. Surely not all of those 1 million are die-hard supporters. Surely he runs the risk of arming the very people he is fighting against?

I doubt this 1 million figure is entirely accurate. Kind of like Saddam offering up the "mother of all battles", only to have his Republican Guard bum raped on the road to Basra.

However, if it is accurate and he is indeed arming 1 million people, then the rebels better get ready sharpish. At the moment, they still seem very disorganised and very ill-disciplined.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I'll believe it when I see it in pictures or video.
What Gadhaffi says in the press and what he actually
does, is 2 different things.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I totally agree, he's turning out to be quite the little Kim!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Yeah this doesn't make much sense does it? Sooooo... he's going to hand out a butt load of weapons to random civilians who might just use the weapons against him? I'm totally lost on this one. Well not really. There is one really good explanation, and that is that our MSM is lying through their teeth again. I mean the guy did say that this whole thing was a Zionist plot or something of that nature. Just like when Ahmadinejad was trying to tell everyone at the U.N. that America was lying and was responsible for 9/11, all you had was the puppet heads on the MSM shaking their heads in anger at his blasphemy... I smell lies, more lies, and deceit from our government and MSM once again.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Indeed.

The guy is a few planets short of a solar system...

He also seems to contradict the statements from his own ministers.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Undoubtedly a propaganda stunt by Gadaffi, but even the MSM in the U.K have been showing images of large groups of people in Tripoli who support him.

If they are to get rid of the man, then ground troops will be the only answer. In this instance if he was to arm 1 million people they could easily side with the allied forces, once it became clear they were backing the losing side.

This is going to get messy!!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So Libya supply 1.5 million barrels of oil daily to Europe or were. Now with the conflict the supplies are cut. The man has been in power some 30 yrs and his people have had enough. So the do gooders are going in to sort him out and release the flow of oil again. He doesn´t want this to happen so he arms his people... Sound familiar or just sound strange ??

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Looks like the global corporate-government partnership has managed to totally destabilize yet another region. Must be water, the new oil.

Al Jazeera: Gaddafi denounces foreign intervention

He also promised retribution against Libyans who sided with the foreign intervention.

"We will fight and we will target any traitor who is co-operating with the Americans or with the Christian Crusade," he said.

Gaddafi mentioned the wars in Vietnam and Iraq, as well as the bloody US intervention in Somalia and the ongoing campaign to capture or kill al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

All, he said, were examples of the kind of defeat the US was about to endure in Libya.

"You don't learn," he said. "You''re always going to be destroyed."

Libya to give weapons to 1 mln people:state media‎
Reuters Africa - Hamid Ould Ahmed - Christian Lowe - 2 hours ago
ALGIERS, March 20 (Reuters) - Libya's government has begun distributing arms to more than one million people and will complete the operation within hours, ...
Libya hands out 1m weapons to citizens‎
The Australian - 1 hour ago
LIBYAN officials have begun handing out weapons to more than a million of ... The operation came after Muammar Gaddafi's regime claimed 64 people died as a ...
Libya handing out weapons to 1M citizens; Ghadafi warns of 'long war'‎ - Pocono Record
Libyan Government Hands Out Weapons To 1M Citizens‎ - MyFox Tampa Bay
all 36 news articles »
MyFox Philadelphia
Libyan Gov't Begins to Distribute Weapons to People‎
CRIENGLISH.com - 24 minutes ago
The Libyan government has begun to distribute weapons to common people after ... forces of several Western nations on Saturday launched an attack on Libya, ...

......more

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Sure, they've got the guns...

but they said nothing of passing out AMMO...

You see how the game is played?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I'm gonna make a prediction or a guess.
it is my guess that Gadhaffi will be killed
or leaves Libya for exile within 14 days.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Maybe he is realizing he will get taken out by western influence, and is actually realizing that this might protect the people after he is long gone...

Doesnt really make sense yet

EDIT: Found this video in my new subscriptions on youtube from Russia Today

edit on 20-3-2011 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
What are they gonna shoot? Rapters?

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

The guns he has were sold to him by the English among others.

Both Libyan waring sides along with the general population have said numerous times that they did NOT want foregin intervention.

The Arab league has now come out and said that this in not what they agreed to. It was a no fly zone they requested not attacks.

The USA, UK and France have just decide to go gung ho so they can try and get their hands on the oil. They dont give a shi* about the population or Gadaffi.

I think its disgraceful how they can pick and chose who they decide to attack. They didnt do much against Israel as they were bombing and killing innocent and unarmed palestinians.

They should all be brought to trial for war crimes. Makes my blood boil.

www.upi.com...
edit on 20-3-2011 by Irish Matador because: link

edit on 20-3-2011 by Irish Matador because: clarify statement

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Is Gadaffi expecting an invasion the likes of Iraq? He wouldn't be giving weapons to people that he sees as against him. If the Libyan population is against Gadaffi, then why is he arming them? The total population is 6 million, so he's providing arms to 17% of the population?

I have a feeling this isn't going to end nicely...

www.reuters.com

I think we're falling for the reports that his entire country despises him & wants him gone. My guess is that a whole heck of a lot of people in his country actually like him & would be willing to fight for him.

I know our media keeps saying that those who pushed the rebels back were paid mercenaries but were they? Where's the proof of that? Every time I saw a report filed from each new territory taken back by the govt there were descent sized crowds in the street showing support for the govt. Our media told us that these people were either paid or forced to do this for the cameras. Again, were they?

It's my opinion that the good Col. has more popular support than we're led to believe & he's arming them for the coming civil war. If it's no longer going to be his country then why not throw some fuel on the fire to complicate matters for the coalition who will be trying to stabilize the region? I think it's one last middle finger to France, the US and whoever else is in this thing. He's seeding an insurgency to bog us down in another drawn out guerrilla war that can't be won & that will drain resources. The man is no fool, he told us we'd regret taking action against him, I think we're now seeing what he meant.
edit on 20-3-2011 by ethancoop because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2011 by ethancoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
What are they gonna shoot? Rapters?

I thought Dinosaurs were extinct

lol, just kidding. couldn't pass
on that play of words. lmao

I wasn't aware that France had any Raptors ??
Maybe US & UK, but didn't think they were
adapted for the US Navy on a carrier.

UPDATE: The RT Video stated that Italy
has allowed the use of it's airstrips for
attacks against Libya. So if Raptors are
used, this is probably where they will fly
out of.
edit on 3/20/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I'm gonna make a prediction or a guess.
it is my guess that Gadhaffi will be killed
or leaves Libya for exile within 14 days.

I will agree with this prediction. Right now, the US is leading the coalition forces; however, allegedly the lead will soon be turned over. I suspect that Gadaffi gets taken down while the US can still take primary credit for it.

I also suspect that one of those "dead or alive" bounties will be put out on Gadaffi, thus tempting his own people to take a shot at him. I wonder If we will see a deck of "Libya's most wanted" playing cards like we had for Iraq?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

You know what, Matador, I'm beginning to agree with you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join