It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Two strange pictures I found

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Well, I was dumping my camera today, to get the pictures of the moon I snapped last night. I noticed these two strange pictures... I was taking pictures of the snow, because well I take pictures of everything really. I have like a million random pictures that I keep in case I need a reference image of something for my art. I did not notice it when I took the pictures, its a daytime picture so I had the flash disabled. Just thought I would share them, they look pretty cool I think.






Large
Large




posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL
 


Certainly a few anomalies there, thanks for posting.

Makes me feel cold just looking at them, though...

What do you make of the "puff" (for lack of a better word) in the first picture?



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Nice pictures of the snow,but you should open the window to avoid reflections



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubble and ruin the fun so quickly, but what you have here are two great examples of lens flare.



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
So much wonderful snow, I'm jealous.



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz
 


Beat me to it



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL
 


Lens flare only occurs when there is a flash enabled or another source of light. The poster said they noticed the object in the sky before taking the photo so couldn't be a lens flare. I cannot see other objects brightly illuminated by the second source of light so I don't think it is a lens flare.



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This is lense flair. It is caused by light hitting the front element of the lense at an acute angle. As we know, light passing through a prism or lense at an angle is broken down into its constituent colours, and you can see this in the seccond of the pictures.

In the large first immage you can also see the circular reflection of the lense on a piece of glass, so I would say these pictures were taken through a window. It is also interesting to see that the flare lies on the reflection. The seccond picture is zoomed in and the flare also falls on what can been seen of this reflection. Due to the change in the focal length of the lense when zoomed the flare has become bigger.

This may be a hoax, I am always warey when pictures are taken though glass as it is easy to introduce a light source from behind the camera to introduce the reflection/flair.

EDIT: I would add that I am sucpicious as to why the two picture show diferent aspect ratios. Why the editing? Can we see the orgionals please?
edit on 20-3-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL
 


Could you tell us what we are supposed to be seeing, please?
All I can see in the first picture is the reflection of your fingers around a camera with a silver lens, causing the picture anomalies that seem to be the ones in question. Am I missing something?



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant
 


Not sure, where do you see a puff?



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz
 


Oh yeah, I would have, but the window doesn't open.



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


I am no camera expert by any stretch, doesn't there need to be light coming from directly in front for a lense flare to occur?



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Australiana
reply to post by TKDRL
 


Lens flare only occurs when there is a flash enabled or another source of light. The poster said they noticed the object in the sky before taking the photo so couldn't be a lens flare. I cannot see other objects brightly illuminated by the second source of light so I don't think it is a lens flare.


No - I just re read his OP - you should do. He said he did not notice this untill he downloaded the pics of the camera. I am not sure what you read?



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
reply to post by TKDRL
 


Could you tell us what we are supposed to be seeing, please?
All I can see in the first picture is the reflection of your fingers around a camera with a silver lens, causing the picture anomalies that seem to be the ones in question. Am I missing something?


Spot on...Hadn't spotted the circle of the lens initially..

Nice spot...Issue solved...



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


I am no camera expert by any stretch, doesn't there need to be light coming from directly in front for a lense flare to occur?


No - from the side.



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt
 


If I was looking to hoax I would crank up 3DS max. No editing done here, I could upload the originals zipped to fileserve if you like. One is just taken with the camera verticle, the other with the camera horizontal.



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt
 


Well the second photo you can see a circular glare streaming from the object. Damn I was wishing...



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Shamatt
 


If I was looking to hoax I would crank up 3DS max. No editing done here, I could upload the originals zipped to fileserve if you like. One is just taken with the camera verticle, the other with the camera horizontal.


My appology - just looked at the exif info on the two larger ones. They are indeed the same size, just rotated. The diferent sizes on my laptop tricked my eyes lol. Sorry for suggesting editing.

This is lense flair from the reflection of light off the silver lense in the window. I have been a very keen photographer for over 20 years, I can spot lense flair a mile off!

Nice pics though.

Hint - to stop getting these reflections when shooting through glass choose a much larger aperture setting (f stop) and a faster shutter speed. The relections will be much less obvious.



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt
 


Oh the light needs to come from the side. The sun looks like it is coming from the upper left when the picture was taken, you may be right. Boooo, I thought I caught something cool



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt
 


Thanks for the tips, I know how to change the shutter speed on my camera, but not sure I can mess with the fstop at all.

I can change white balance ISO sensitivity, aspect ratio, shutter and color mode that I have found so far.
edit on Sun, 20 Mar 2011 05:10:00 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join