It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan Finds Radiation On Imported Japanese Beans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Taiwan Finds Radiation On imported Japanese Beans

news.yahoo.com

TAIPEI, Taiwan – Radiation was detected on fava beans imported from Japan to Taiwan, an official there said Sunday in what appears to be the first case of contamination in Japanese imports.

The amount of radiation was well below Taiwan's legal limit and not harmful to human health, the official from Taiwan's Cabinet-level Atomic Energy Council told The Associated Press. The precise amount and type of radiation were not disclosed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 3/20/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
And so it begins...

The first report of tainted food, and I am sure there will be more before we are done. I can only imagine what this is doing to their own food stores they are currently consuming. A bad situation only getting worse.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to deal with the press.

The radiation was detected on the surface of beans in one batch that arrived in Taiwan on Saturday, but the official did not know where in Japan the beans originated.

Japanese officials said Saturday that radiation in low amounts was detected in spinach and milk produced near the damaged Fukushima nuclear power complex in northeast Japan that has been leaking radiation since being critically damaged by an earthquake and tsunami March 11.

The tainted milk and spinach were collected from farms ranging from 20 miles (30 kilometers) to 75 miles (120 kilometers) from the leaking reactors, Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said.

The area is rich farm country where a variety of foods are grown. Other tests are being conducted, and Edano said food shipments from the area would be halted if further contamination was detected.

Japanese officials said the radiation amounts in the milk and spinach were so small that people would have to consume unimaginable amounts to endanger their health.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Does it bother anyone else that specific radiation levels are not being disclosed? I would like actual data instead of someone's word that the levels are safe.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KZ6090

Great point.

The Japanese claim you would have to eat a ton of these things for the amount of radiation they contain to be harmful.

My thought is that may be a personal opinion. Even if the amount is miniscule a lot of folks do not want to eat it. If we combine the miniscule amounts of radiation in this food, with the tiny amount of radiation seeping out into the atmosphere (
), and add in the negligable amount in an xray most have had at one point or another.....

Well, those minute amounts start to add up to not so small amounts.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
If we combine the miniscule amounts of radiation in this food, with the tiny amount of radiation seeping out into the atmosphere (
), and add in the negligable amount in an xray most have had at one point or another.....

Exactly.
I keep hearing 'oh it's only like this' or 'it's only like that' or 'if you live here you already get a higher dose'.
Well duhhh... Radiation probably already accounts for an unspecified number of cancer deaths each year. Extra is not good.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
The japanese and all the governments have been busted in lie after lie...
yep they must be telling the truth his time

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Those were my first thoughts exactly.

The fact that they will keep shipping out food from that area "until" a problem is abundantly clear is amazing to me. So much for, "better safe than sorry" I suppose.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
why oh why wont the people who could give us the truth just give it ?
i am sure if most people were shown acurate data from various sources than we could make our own minds up on if we felt safe or not ,i think it is very telling when i can get sports results from all over the world in an instant and yet cant find anywhere the acurate amount of substances that may harm me and others around me
I live 6 miles from an atomic power station ,hartlepool in the uk, I know it has had problems including loseing radioactive co2 but we as locals could not find out any detailed information ,we all just noticed the increase in down syndrome babys the next year ,15 babys affected on one housing estate !!
So lets hope for all our sakes more acurate information is available all over the world after all wasnt the internets reason for existing that one very reason ?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

An official from Taiwan's department of health said a shipment of beans from Japan's south-western Kyushu island had shown slightly higher radiation than naturally occurring trace levels.

link

Those beans were grown on the southern island of Kyushu, but were still dusted with radiation.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I wonder what this tragedy will do to their automobile export market. How many would buy a Japanese car that gives them the equivalent radiation of an x-ray every time they drive it?

Chernobyl Equipment Graveyard Photos

edit on 20-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This saving face attitude they have will be their downfall.Just tell the truth instead of trying to sugar coat it.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Its not tainted if the beans were not above levels harmful to human health..

Sensationalism.
Whats new on ATS?

Obligatory:

So it begins...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

The article used the word tainted.

Did you contact the news agency and point out their blatant sensationalism?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by KZ6090

Yes. And isn't there a difference between being exposed to radiation and ingesting irradiated food?

top topics

join