Pierce Arrow...Should this car company be brought back to the atuo industry these days?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I have been a long time fan of Pierce Arrow. But does anyone think they would ready for a come back? They have been out of business for about 80 years now. I think it was to expensive to hold up that company during those times. It might be still to this day but new car companies are starting to emerge for this decade. like Tesla Motors and Fisker Automotive. Those companies only started 3 to 4 years ago I think. And Vector Motors is starting to make a comeback after 20 years of not making any cars.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The industry is flooded as it is. The fat needs to be trimmed.

90% of the vehicles manufactured today are identical apart from the way the stereo knob is designed or the latch on the center console.

Narrow down the choices and the automotive industry wouldn't be struggling to survive.

I actually WORK in the automotive industry...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Decision

Well that's a little bit of a bummer. Sorry to hear your work industry isn't doing well. Do you still get fair work benefits and pay? I have been somewhat of a fan of automotive design and the unknown like paranormal studies U.F.O.s etc and I love that 1919 Pierce Arrow model 66 A-4 touring car designed by Harley Earl for the famous Harold Loyd.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Them plus add Auburn, Cord, Duesenburg that would help the US target Maybach, Bentley and Rolls Royce.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Just curious as to why you feel that particular marque might survive today? Styling, concept, unique mechanicals? I'm not sure what led to their untimely demise?

I think there were many marques that were unique but failed at sustainability despite unique and leading edge technology. Most notably, Tucker, Studebaker, Cord, Auburn, Delorean, Briklen, Pantera to name a few.

Interesting thread concept.

They definitely had a cool hood ornament, ugh I mean radiator cap.

(from my Amelia Concours thread. I'll need to go dig up that full car for you, it was stunning. I seem to recall a 'steerable' 3rd headlight if I'm not mistaken.)
edit on 21-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

It's the Tucker Torpedo that has the steerable 3rd headlight.

I could be wrong, but I think thats the only car that had it.
edit on 21-3-2011 by Cheesefacedogbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I always thought they should bring back the Austin Healeys...

They tried, but ran into copyright issues... I dont think it will ever happen.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cheesefacedogbone

Ahh yes Austin Healey one of the myriad of British sports car marks that eventually got swallowed up by British Leyland which was beaten into submission by a radical left wing work force who had more interest in going on strike then bolting on body panels properly. Eventually turning back into rover dying completely with the only profitable badge (MG) getting sold to the Chinese

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefacedogbone

It's the Tucker Torpedo that has the steerable 3rd headlight.

I could be wrong, but I think thats the only car that had it.
edit on 21-3-2011 by Cheesefacedogbone because: (no reason given)

You were wise to leave some wiggle room for doubt. Below are all circa 1920-1930 vintage with 'steerable' headlights. I do know my sleds. Besides, I could NEVER spar with another car nut on ATS.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Thats cool. I had no idea they had them back then. Thats not really my era of car. I'm more of a late 50's early 60's kind of guy.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cheesefacedogbone

No worries. I learn new stuff all the time from folks like you.

American muscle: 1966 Chevelle SS 396 or '57 Chevy Nomad. (2dr wagon?) sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Sorry to deflect, back to topic......................

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Just curious as to why you feel that particular marque might survive today? Styling, concept, unique mechanicals? I'm not sure what led to their untimely demise?

I think there were many marques that were unique but failed at sustainability despite unique and leading edge technology. Most notably, Tucker, Studebaker, Cord, Auburn, Delorean, Briklen, Pantera to name a few.

Interesting thread concept.

They definitely had a cool hood ornament, ugh I mean radiator cap.

(from my Amelia Concours thread. I'll need to go dig up that full car for you, it was stunning. I seem to recall a 'steerable' 3rd headlight if I'm not mistaken.)

DeTomaso has recently confirmed that a Second Gen Pantera should be in production for 2013 once they secure an engine for it,

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
DeTomaso has recently confirmed that a Second Gen Pantera should be in production for 2013 once they secure an engine for it,

Wow I had no idea they were relaunching. Weren't the originals 427's? This motor might be a good fit.

Sorry OP, I've got a bazillion car show pix and never have the opportunity to share. I'm done, I promise.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

Wow I had no idea they were relaunching. Weren't the originals 427's? This motor might be a good fit.

Courtesy of World Car Fans :
www.worldcarfans.com...

Debut is coming at the 2011 Los Angeles International Auto Show in November.

Lancia is ressurecting the Statos, Lotus ressurecting the Elite, Espirit, Eclan I don't know what decade this is anymore in terms of autos.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

I didnt say they were re launching but I was thinking, would they have a second chance to be brought back to life this decade? Well I guess they would be the rolls royce of America if they were to survive or be brought back. they were amazing cars and they still catch the eyes of people who pass by.

new topics

join