It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese radiation hits the U.S

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Japanese radiation hits the U.S

rt.com

The first detection of radiation from Japan has been recorded along the West Coast of the United States, but the UN insists the levels of radiation are far below dangerous levels.
The UN's Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization initially issued a statement alleging a radioactive plume could hit California by March 18 – they were right.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This is coming in from Russia Today. The article posesses much more interesting information, so if anyone is particulary concerned with the current situation, I advise them to read it. It seems as if the dangers of the current crisis in Japan will only continue to increase as the crisis continues. Nuclear related products are being sold out, so could this also be a plot to make money? I doubt it, but still interesting stuff.

What does Obama say about this?

American health and nuclear officials, and US President Barack Obama himself have repeatedly said there is no real threat of radiation from Japan and any detected radiation would be in the safe zone.

Well...

However, many are still worried.

Of course their are still profits to be made.

US suppliers of Geiger counters, gas masks, anti-radiation tablets and pet shelters are selling out of their supplies, many having to place back orders.

However, don't panic.

Obama has called for calm across the nation, asking the American people to trust the government. His words have had little impact as the people openly knock the information coming from the US and Japanese governments, and even the UN.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-3-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I've made a thread that aims to calm people down over radiation reaching the U.S. - it'll put this in some perspective. There is no need to panic, it is not doomsday. Radiation and You

I agree that it can turn into a money grab, but education is the best way to fight back. Don't buy into fearmongering.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
even with low counts in air samples
the particles are still deadly if injested
the particles may not set of counters much at all except for a few blips
this radiation is very small particles
hard to detect at 1 part per million
but injest one and you are your own source for exposure
so low readings "cumulative" air sample readings
are not an indication of particle exposure
or how dangerous each particle is
only the "density" of the particles in that given area

dont down play this by saying low air sample readings
means there is nothing to worry about

xploder

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
This rain isnt helping the situation if its true. Is this the same radiation that gives you powers like in xmen or what? Or ninja turtles?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

The Milk and spinach that is contaminated in Japan can stll be eaten and the milk consumed with no affects. A perosn would ahve to consume both items everyday for the rest of their lives to reach a lvel in their system where it would become dangerous.

People are somewhat overreacting to whats going on imo. The West coast, along with almost every other major city in the US, have radiation detectors present spcifically deisgned to detect radiation.

I think omst people would be surprised to learn that if they went and bought a geiger counter and used it in various areas of where they live, they will find there is a constant background radiation present.

The problem comes in when the doseage received is acute / very high in a short amount of time.

Deep breath people... check the facts and make educated decisions... please.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I think it's funny that the President quoted a national agency's official stance on this, and people are upset. Like they wanted him to jump up and down screaming "Run for the Hills!!! We're all gonnna die!!" or perhaps like they just blindly criticize anything he says or does regardless of applicability.
edit on 20-3-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I think omst people would be surprised to learn that if they went and bought a geiger counter and used it in various areas of where they live, they will find there is a constant background radiation present.

NOT! ...This is ATS big guy.

Everybody here knows all about the cadmium dispersal experiments, the cover-ups on fallout from nuclear testing - and more - all resulting in HUGE rises in "background radiation" levels.

No surprise.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
but injest one and you are your own source for exposure
so low readings "cumulative" air sample readings
are not an indication of particle exposure

You're scaremongering an ignorant viewpoint.

Soil has been radioactive a long time, before humans even evolved, in fact the soil radioactivity may be one source of evolution. We have evolved to tolerate and deal with low levels of radioactivity.

There are radioactive particles in the food we eat every day, but not very many of them. We may get a few more from Japan but it's insignificant compared to what we are already getting.

Probably the single biggest source of radiation we are justified in fearing is radon gas. That's a natural source of radiation that actually does harm and in some cases kills people. If you want something to fear, fear that. Do a radon test on your residence if you live in an area where radon can occur. Anything from Japan is minuscule compared to that threat.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I also worry that even with low detectable levels of radiation, the way radioactive iodine accumulates could still pose health risks.

If your body is deficient in iodine, you will be more likely to accumulate radioactive iodine. For this reason I am getting a bottle of iodine to do a self test to make sure my levels are not too low.

If my levels are low, I am going to eat more foods rich in iodine (yummy vegan sushi), and supplement with iodized salt. I only recently realized the sea salt I've been using provides no iodine. I am only describing the plans I have for myself, I don't want to seem as though I am giving medical advice.

I was actually planning on doing this weeks ago, before the nuclear disaster. There are not a lot of deficiencies one can test for on their own, but testing your iodine levels is easy enough.

How to Self-Test for an Iodine Deficiency

1. Dip a cotton ball into USP Tincture of Iodine. (You can get iodine at the drugstore for under $1.)

2. Paint a 2 inch circle of iodine on your soft skin, like the inner part of your thigh or upper arm.

3. Wait. -- If the yellowish stain disappears in less than an hour; it means your body is lacking crucial iodine and has soaked it up. If the stain remains for more than four hours, you iodine levels are fine.
Some Random Website

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Karma for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

edit on 20-3-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Karma for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

edit on 20-3-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

Right, because Karma threw that tsunami at Japan....

Not to mention that any effects on the US will be minimal when compared to what has already occurred in Japan.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
How to Self-Test for an Iodine Deficiency
... Some Random Website
So do you take your medical advice from some random website and pass that advice out to others? Seems that's what you're doing here.

Do you know the difference between Iodine and Iodide?

www.wisegeek.com...

Which does your body need, and which are you testing for?

Hint, look at what's in Iodized salt, it's not iodine, it's iodide. Eating iodized salt is the only part of your post that made any sense to me.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thewesticle

Wasn't a serious post

I dont't believe in karma
I understand that the radiation coming to the U.S. will do no damage. Dude chill

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
So do you take your medical advice from some random website and pass that advice out to others? Seems that's what you're doing here.

Yep

Do you know the difference between Iodine and Iodide?

Vaguely. I know iodide is the salt form of iodine, which has something to do with electrons. My last chemistry course was about 8 years ago. I know you don't want to ingest iodine - which is why I will only be applying it to my skin topically. If my body is deficient in iodine it will be absorbed more quickly.

Which does your body need, and which are you testing for?

My body needs iodine, I am testing for iodine.

Hint, look at what's in Iodized salt, it's not iodine, it's iodide. Eating iodized salt is the only part of your post that made any sense to me.

Well iodide is the form of iodine I want to consume. Liquid iodine is the chemical I will use to assess my level of iodine.

Edit: You make it sound as if there is a major flaw in my plan. I am not seeing it, could you please clarify? The biggest flaw I see is that the iodine testing is likely to be unnecessary because I plan on eating more sea vegetables and getting iodized salt anyway.
edit on 20-3-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Quote:
The Milk and spinach that is contaminated in Japan can stll be eaten and the milk consumed with no affects. A perosn would ahve to consume both items everyday for the rest of their lives to reach a lvel in their system where it would become dangerous.

Oh yea, then why are they not giving it to the starving people. Enjoy your Milk and Spinach, I will pass, thank you. BTW do you have a reliable source for this this statement?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
So, my understanding is that the body only absorbs iodine that is 'bound' to a protein'. So it would seem the only really effective source is from food or iodized salt. Is this correct? Or are those pills everyone is taking 'bound' in the same way?

Thanks!

top topics

join