It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: Pressure Rises Again in Japanese Reactors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
You all have probably read this but last time I checked, not many people pay attention to what's reported on Yahoo. Or, at least they don't in my area anyway.

"FUKUSHIMA, Japan – Technicians prepared to vent radioactive gas into the air Sunday because of a new spike in pressure at Japan's crippled, leaking nuclear complex, while a safety official said protective iodine pills should have been distributed near the plant days earlier. Radiation, a danger for days in areas around the plant, already has seeped into the food supply, with the government warning that tests of spinach and milk from areas as far as 75 miles (120 kilometers) away exceeded safety limits. Tap water farther away turned up tiny amounts of radioactive iodine in Tokyo and other areas."

news.yahoo.com...

That's interesting, I thought we were told that the radiated foods did not pose a health risk. So if they do, would it also pose a potential risk over in California where there is radiation or are the levels still low (Haven't checked in a while)

So the government was supposedly "Caught off guard" by the accidents severity and belatedly realized to give out those iodine pills? Since Japan is prone to Earthquakes and tsunamis and adequately prepare for those, why would they not have prepared for possible nuclear hazards? You would think so, after having fifty-three nuclear power plants in their country, but then again, common sense went out of style years ago.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Ive been watching al-jazeera for the past few hours and they have said the same thing. No. 3 is increasing in pressure, but they dont think that anything major will happen (according to the people theyre interviewing) english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Alright, good to know.

Have you heard anything about the fourth reactor? It was in critical condition and no one is mentioning it after they found out about how it could potentially have a crack in it. I haven't heard anything so...

NOTE TO SELF: Don't eat sushi for six months..

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xKhaosXREVolutionXx

Personally, I havent really heard much out of Japan as of late. All that I have seen on the news involves Libya.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Yeah, maybe we'll get lucky and the radiation kills Gaddafi. That way, the UN will be happy and we can all go about our blissfully ignorant lives as if the sun rose and set on California dreams. After all, the latest in the dramatic "War in the Middle East" sitcom has higher priority than a disaster that has potential of affecting everyone. If things were improving in Japan, even just a little bit, they would definitely tell us. As it is, they'll wait until the last possible second and then pass it off as a "Slight problem".

And I haven't heard anything about the water leak in a reactor over in Canada, so hopefully they got that fixed. Maybe it's time, we sat down and took the time to SINCERELY review the necessity of nuclear energy. It could save our necks in the future.
edit on 20-3-2011 by xKhaosXREVolutionXx because: A typo, why else?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Thank you for the post. It is my opinion there won't be much coming out of Japan regarding updates on the reactors anymore. . Libya is going to be a convenient distraction. Something to take the publics attention away from the disaster that is more than likely getting worse by the minute.

top topics

join