It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common sense observation about the state of disaster of Fukushima nuclear power plant.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

That's what I've been wondering. It's obvious the reactors are shot and only getting more dangerous. Why are they delaying entombing them? Can anyone help me think of the reason ? Is it just poor communication - poor leadership? (although both have been clearly demonstrated). Are they working to get the equipment to do it and it just takes time?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mizd18

Perhaps they are so dammned expensive that they are willing to risk peoples lives to recover some of their investment.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Don't they have to wait until the reactors cool down a little?
edit on 20-3-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
this article seems to provide some answers - with logistical issues being one problem.

www.commondreams.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mizd18
reply to post by ommadawn

That's what I've been wondering. It's obvious the reactors are shot and only getting more dangerous. Why are they delaying entombing them? Can anyone help me think of the reason ? Is it just poor communication - poor leadership? (although both have been clearly demonstrated). Are they working to get the equipment to do it and it just takes time?

Sand and concrete are used to "entomb" reactors for a Chernobyl option, however, the problem is that the temperature must be brought down to the right level or the sand will turn to glass and the concrete will forms crack that the radiation will leak through.

As of now, they are unable to bring the reactors to safe levels in order too entomb them.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Thank you. Makes sense now. Hard to fathom just how hot those suckers are.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The disaster at the Fukushima power plant is serious, and it is not even close to being under control. Even if the media would like everyone to move along and worry about Libya. There are multiple reactors in critical mode, and have undergone core meltdown. To what extent each one has entered into meltdown remains to be seen, because radiation levels are to high and containment measures are still being worked out. My hope is they will be able to stabilize the core meltdowns, and at the very least the area around Fukushima is rendered uninhabitable. Hopefully, one of the world's most important economic centers with Tokyo is spared the ill affects of massive nuclear fallout. Such an incident would have international ramifications, because Japan was the world's third largest economy before the quake, tsunami, and nuclear emergency. There are just to many unknowns to consider, and this my friends is the bold new world where no man has ever gone before.

Chernobyl and Three Mile Island were meltdowns involving one reactor, but this incident has involved numerous ones and during an epic natural disaster. Response to this nuclear disaster has been hampered extensively by the debris left behind from the tsunami, and has hampered civilian evacuations as well. So as far as I am concerned, Chernobyl and Three Mile Island is like apples and oranges in relation to this event. That is just my observations about it. Feel free to disagree if anyone wishes.

After learning about, and watching documentaries about Chernobyl and Three Mile Island, it appears that there was a lot of misinformation, false information, and just plain lies being thrown out there as well. A lot of it could have been attributed to ignorance, lack of knowledge in responding to such events, liability concerns, risks of public hysteria, and a whole myriad of reasons. As the OP points out, Libya may be a diversionary tactic by the governments involved in cooperation with the MSM to shift focus from the seriousness of Japan to something less threatening. Kind of like the wag the dog scenario.

Japan ought to be kept in the public's focus, because if there is a significant radiation release; it is a dire risk to public health both in Japan and elsewhere if the prevailing winds throws the highly radioactive debris and dust into the jet stream. I am glad that people on here recognize the seriousness of the Japanese nuclear emergency, and have scoffed at the heightened media attention being given to military measures taken by the UN in Libya. I wish more would see it the way we do, and scoff at this latest military adventure in Libya against a clown who poses no threat to his neighbors and is subduing what appears to be an armed rebellion peppered in among civil protests? Where were the crusaders of righteousness, democracy, and good will when Rwanda endured genocide. Or better yet, where is the international community in Dafur which is currently undergoing genocide? Just more hypocrisy and lies by emperors with no cloths. Move along people nothing to see here.

edit on 21-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
So now the story is that there is affirmed partial meltdown of two reactors , they cannot stop it, how long till the truth?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Just read that they had gotten electricity back on at the plant. Common sense tells me it won't help if the pipes for cooling were/are damaged inside the buildings. This is still going to end badly. I am so disgusted by the media blackout on whats going on over there. Even on alternate media sites, like drudge, they gave more info on Charlie Sheen than they did about the nuclear plant.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
Just read that they had gotten electricity back on at the plant. Common sense tells me it won't help if the pipes for cooling were/are damaged inside the buildings. This is still going to end badly. I am so disgusted by the media blackout on whats going on over there. Even on alternate media sites, like drudge, they gave more info on Charlie Sheen than they did about the nuclear plant.

The media aren't in the business of informing, they are in the business of entertaining. There is a big difference. We only think the news is there to inform us. Don't be surprised when they don't inform you, it's not how they make money.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Sand and concrete are used to "entomb" reactors for a Chernobyl option, however, the problem is that the temperature must be brought down to the right level or the sand will turn to glass and the concrete will forms crack that the radiation will leak through.

As of now, they are unable to bring the reactors to safe levels in order too entomb them.

Last news report I heard indicated that the temperatures may approach that of boilng water.
100C (sea level)

Boiling point of water

Melting point of sand is 1723 C

melting point of sand

Pass the cement+boron, the reactors were lost a week ago.

Fukushima and boron

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join