It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

in these trying times of nuclear shtf a little levity brought to you from gerber knives and bear gry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
well i went to local walmart sporting goods section for some fishing tackle and where they had the pocket knives they had 5 brand new survival knives by gerber all with a bright orange stripe all with bear gryllis on the packaging.
now i don't know what would make gerber risk tarning their good name by hiring this goofy british paratrooper but my neighbors 8 year old cubscout is more of a survival expert than him.

www.walmart.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
If your comparing the man in the video to an 8 yr old that is silly. I have seen him eat many things people would not wanna even touch. Bottom line hes info is exactly that informative and when survival is key thats all that matters.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
bear is great....when TSHTF you can have your cub scout, i'll take bear!!!

he's a mad man

link   
have you seen his show . one show he climbed down a waterfall drank dirty water got diarrhea climbed back up the waterfall slipped almost fell to his doom all to get sap from a vine that might have been a local remedy to diarrhea. another show had him trying to swim across a lack in 30 degree weather that was a half a mile across to get to a ski lodge using pants as a float he ended up getting hypothermia and had to be rushed to hospital when all he had to do was walk around lake. he constantly doing stupid crap that might be good in sas where you need to be alittle crazy but when some one needs survival knowledge look elsewhere.

link   
have you seen his show . one show he climbed down a waterfall drank dirty water got diarrhea climbed back up the waterfall slipped almost fell to his doom all to get sap from a vine that might have been a local remedy to diarrhea. another show had him trying to swim across a lack in 30 degree weather that was a half a mile across to get to a ski lodge using pants as a float he ended up getting hypothermia and had to be rushed to hospital when all he had to do was walk around lake. he constantly doing stupid crap that might be good in sas where you need to be alittle crazy but when some one needs survival knowledge look elsewhere.

link   

link   

link   

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The best survival tip would be to stay at home and not leave the house..

If you don't understand his show then all the survival shows in the world aren't going to help you. He is always doing things to show you what you could do in certian situations.. why do you think he strips down and jumps in artic waters? for fun?

Sometimes he even does things to show you what NOT to do.. or what to do if you have done something stupid. I think his show is great -- informative and entertaining.. and looks like a lot of fun to make. Win-win.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRstl1000
If your comparing the man in the video to an 8 yr old that is silly. I have seen him eat many things people would not wanna even touch. Bottom line hes info is exactly that informative and when survival is key thats all that matters.

www.youtube.com...

His information would get the average person killed in a survival situation. When you're lost you STAY PUT and wait for the search party to find you. You don't climb trees, cross rivers, jump into freezing water, eat rancid meat, roll down hills, or any of the other incredibly stupid crap that Bear Grylls does on each episode.

His show is for entertainment purposes only. It is not a survival show. His advice goes against every survival instructor's teachings.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
bear is great....when TSHTF you can have your cub scout, i'll take bear!!!

he's a mad man

Les Stroud would wait til Bear snaps his ankle then slit his throat with a sharpened stone, eat him, and wear his skin for warmth.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Sure, he shows how you COULD do something, but not how you SHOULD do something. The show is pretty much simple entertainment, not education. I'm sure Bear Gryls knows plenty about survival, but most of it wouldn't make a good mainstream tv show.There are other survival experts with tv shows and are mostly unknown because they aren't giving themselves bat# enemas and biting the heads off snakes.

Almost anyone who has spent any significant time in the outdoors should be able to see the insanity of most of Bears antics. It's fun to watch but as info on how to survive,not so much.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
On the topic of the knives, not the endorsed person on the knives.

The knives are not a bad investment, Gerber has put some good work into these, and they are quite sharp.

I find the rubber-gripped handles quite comfortable, and easy to maneuver the knife.

I bought two, the middle two models. One for the BoB, and one for the every day.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
they are good knives, but i think they screwed up by putting that brits face on it.. if they are going to have him advertise something.. it should be bandaids hahaha, becuse every time that dumbas pulls out a knife he cuts himself.
and that show is for entertainment purposes only i would never take the risks that he takes in a survival situation and the only reason he does it is because he has a survival expert, a camera crew, a first aid crew and people to carry his things(food water medical and emergency supplies) just incase he has an acedent, and how many times do you see him rubbing two sticks togeather and then the camera cuts and there is a fat fire?
IT IS ALL FAKE!! EVERYTHING HE DOES IS TOLD TO HIM BY THE SURVIVAL EXPERT!! do you really think he killed that rabbit with the throwing stick? hell no! you can see him miss.. one of the crew probably shot it or brout it along, if he didnt see a rabbit in the field he prolly woulda just put the dead one in a snare and say he snared it.hahaha. if you want realistic survival ITS ALL ABOUT SURVIVOR MAN LES STROUD!! he is out their on his own doing logical things that wont get you killed

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think the guy is good at what he does. He could most likely survive most any scenario between his skills & and his conditioning.

BUT.......

The path he usually takes would seriously injure 98% of average people who tried to do what he does.

They need to make make a survival show that shows people how aren't in peak condition survive a situation.

Carry a "get home bag" in your vehicle NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO!

Whether it is a trip deep into the wilderness or a trip to the grocery store you should have a backpack in your vehicle that contains:

Water purification tablets
Water - 2-3 bottles to get you started
Granola bars, enough for 2-3 days
Fire starting items (3 different ways)
rain gear (also breaks the wind)
signal mirror
Compass & map of your area (state map is good enough for me that shows roads)
GPS if you have one
Good fixed blade Knife

And whatever else you personally may need....

My bag also has a pistol & spare ammo
A small 1 quart aluminum pan to boil water & cook in
Camelback water bladder
Fishing string, sinkers, hooks
A wool sweater, leather gloves & wool hat
emergency mylar blanket

Start your adventure with a few items and your chances of surviving an emergency scenario gets easier.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Does that knife have a built in urine extractor?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
mmm you do realise the guy was a survival Instructor with the SAS? i've seen him drink his own urine from a snake skin that he killed with his teeth and ate raw!!!! the mans a legend in my book

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Not a bad knife from Gerber. It looks to be just a couple of notches below the LMF model which is rather stout. Looks like Bear is just riding the sponsorship wave while he can.

Craghoppers has a Bear Grylls line of clothing as well.www.us.craghoppers.com...

In the past couple of seasons Bear was using a Bayley S4. Fantastic and expensive knife. Apparently Bayley and Bear have severed their ties completely because this used to be the Bear signature knife. The average mass market consumer is not going to buy a Bayley at around $700 bones though.

www.bayleyknife.com...

I'd take the Bayley over the Gerber any day. For now, I am content with my ESEE RC 4 and Bark River Bravo 1.

As for Bear, he'll ride the wave as far as it will go. He won't be able to keep up his pace forever. Strike while the iron is hot. The man is well trained and certainly has a diverse skill set. He climbed Everest and survived a major parachuting accident that nearly left him paralyzed. He'll survive his critics too...
edit on 20-3-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Man....and here I liked Bear G.....
Like many have said, bear gets into "silly" situations for publicity, its not real!!!
Although, what the man does is real info!!!! He dont swim freezin waters for nothing, "well yeah he does" but his nothing is our gain, it's educational!!!!

Besides that, I would not call Bear or the other guy, a wart on a survivalists butt!!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
if that other guy you are talking about is Les Stroud(survivorman).. then you got it all wrong, les knows lots of stuff and knows more about survival than the avrage survival expert whose experience is usually limited to the aria he lives in... survivorman has been all over the world in almost every type of terrain, and survives with only the knowledge in HIS head.. so im sure the warts on his butt know more about survival than most 'survivalists'..
edit on 20-3-2011 by mindfreak21 because:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join