It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Libya still have WMDs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Heres a good site on the history of Libya's WMDs. I know they handed they say, all of there material. But have they still got some hiding in one of there underground bases. He might come across as a mentle case. But I feel he has got something up his sleave.
Libya had purchased a turnkey facility in which foreign suppliers would supply the parts for the gas centrifuges, as well as assemble and test them. Libya was acquiring a large uranium enrichment facility capable of producing enough HEU for several bombs a year.
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

I don't know, lets go look for them for 10 years.

S&F
edit on 19-3-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

That is my fear that he still has some. A guy that has as much hatred for the west as he does seemed to give them up a little too easily. It seemed to be like ok guys im a good boy here are my toys, but he still has that old box down in the corner of the basement that he only plays with when he is really bored. This guy is of the mentallity that he will fight to his last breath with every thing he has in my opinion. The really scary thing is all it takes is one WMD and then what does the world and UN do. All out no holds barred war, which opens the door for other wacko regimes to launch what they have since Qadaffi would have launched one first Iran can say oh fun here is my stuff and bam he launches to Israel. Kim Jong Ill hears about this and says hey guys look what I can do and launch into South Korea or even into Japan who knows. Bottom line I firmly believe that Qadaffis level of response has the potential to trigger a set of events that leads into a full scale world war. Very tense days lie ahead. One thing i think is for sure is that if he still has WMD's we will know before this conflict is over.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
reply to post by aarys

That is my fear that he still has some. A guy that has as much hatred for the west as he does seemed to give them up a little too easily. It seemed to be like ok guys im a good boy here are my toys, but he still has that old box down in the corner of the basement that he only plays with when he is really bored. This guy is of the mentallity that he will fight to his last breath with every thing he has in my opinion. The really scary thing is all it takes is one WMD and then what does the world and UN do. All out no holds barred war, which opens the door for other wacko regimes to launch what they have since Qadaffi would have launched one first Iran can say oh fun here is my stuff and bam he launches to Israel. Kim Jong Ill hears about this and says hey guys look what I can do and launch into South Korea or even into Japan who knows. Bottom line I firmly believe that Qadaffis level of response has the potential to trigger a set of events that leads into a full scale world war. Very tense days lie ahead. One thing i think is for sure is that if he still has WMD's we will know before this conflict is over.

I don't see this as a possibility. Even if he had a couple and used them, the response from the world would be so strong, no crack-pot dictator in the world would want to use them after they see what happens to Gaddafi.

Just my 2cents.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
They do have 10 tons of Mustard Gas.

ac360.blogs.cnn.com...

...A U.S. official said that in a "chaotic situation" there is concern about Libya possessing mustard gas and other chemical agents.
Libya still has approximately 10 tons of the deadly blister agent left in its arsenal, according to Peter Crail, a non-proliferation expert at the Arms Control Association.

edit on 19-3-2011 by dbriefed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dbriefed

Whats he gonna use it on? Raptors?

The only ground forces are special forces.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I think this is one of the reasons I support the Libya campaign. This guy, really is a terrorist. He needs taking out. He's a danger to us all!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

He might use it on the rebels or disperse it to terrorist groups who could let it off in western cities. Gadafi has been sponsoring terrorism all his life, cant see him stopping now.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

He might use it on the rebels or disperse it to terrorist groups who could let it off in western cities. Gadafi has been sponsoring terrorism all his life, cant see him stopping now.

And he'd have turned his attentions towards us even if we hadn't been setting up this "No Fly Zone". Enemy abroad / popular at home technique works in Libya just as well as it does in the West.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Thanks for that article I found it very interesting.

From reading it I think it is very unlikely that Libya has secretly been able to develop a nuclear weapon or any other CBRN weapon however it may be possible. As the article clearly shows Libya’s attempts at aquatinting a nuclear capability have been repeatedly halted by the action of the international community. From reading your the article I would conclude that although it is possible that Libya have secretly acquired WMD it is a remote possibility.

Even if one dose assume that Libya has secretly acquired CBRN technology, there also has to be a rationale for deploying the weapons. Currently Libya does not have ICBM capabilities or the other missile technologies required for delivering a CBRN weapon outside of Libya. This leaves two possibilities, one Libya deliberately starts to use CBRN against its own people, such as shelling Benghazi with blister agent or, worse case, detonating a secret nuclear or radiological device. The second option is that Libya utilises its old ties with terrorist organisations and acts as a state sponsor of terrorism supplying the terrorists with a WMD.

Both of these scenarios are very unlikely because firstly they assume that Libya has a WMD capability and secondly that there is a rational behind such action, because in both instances the use of the weapons would lead to a full scale invasion of Libya by foreign forces. This would without doubt lead to the Gaddafi family losing their power of the people of Libya. This risk is one step to far even for the government of Libya, they would alienate all of their remaining allies, their state would be invaded, and one way or another the leaders of the government would end up dead.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

He might use them right before he loses the war in Libya.
He really has nowhere to run.
Any idea what Qaddafy is hiding here? Missile silos?

edit on 22-3-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
IT DOESNT MATTER IF THEY DO OR NOT... WE HAVE NUKES...

FIRST STRIKE, BALLGAME OVER...

top topics

join