It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 75
<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Well if you were just using your eye, that would seem fixed for sure. Such a tiny circle over such a long period of time would never be noticed. To get technical true north would be at the center of the circle, unless you are trying to find buried treasure on a map or something, such a tiny degree of movement isn't so significant.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Maybe this will help you understand Please go to the link. I was not talking about you personally, but my main point is the samething they were doing going on about the North Star and True North, and my last few posts is too show that there is so much to learn about our planet, that we didn't all know. I am just absolutely amazed of the people that didn't know the earth turns completey around 360 degrees every 24 hours. That also means the Top of the World is the tightest circle [around the Pole Star]. Here is a link that shows what the top of the world looks like in a 24 hour period.

en.wikipedia.org...

Now to make my point, what we are talking about has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread. But since so many have come on this thread saying were didn't know anything about what we were saying [and I am not talking about you.] But this is the point of my little educationial briefing, the subject of this thread is that thanks to Mad Dog, we have discovered Magnetic Anomolies not just that the Magnetic North is moving faster than we have been told but that it appears from the findings on this thread that there is possibly a Magnetic North Pole forming over the Eastern Part of the United States. We got kicked down on this thread and the live ATS feed, that everyone thinks we are just a bunch of dummies. This is probably one of the most amazing threads on the internet because we discovered this. Evidently someone didn't want this thread to continue and so many people signed up when the thread started and did a great job of derailing it. Mad Dog and I and I hope others are going to win this battle of information that needs to get out, because TPTB and MSM is not going to tell the public anything. Because of Mad Dogs thread no one would have known. Help us continue this thread and ask all of your friends to check their compasses, [after they did the declination] Dr Barry Warmkessel told me in an email this that South Africa has already formed a pole flip. Everyone go on with the lessons, but please read your compasses and report what you have found. N NE NW whatever. Thank you sir, and sorry I just had to get us back on Magnetic North.

edit on 4/1/2011 by coolottie because: Sorry got to running my mouth forgot the link

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie

I guess the only way to explain it is take you to the exact location of the North Pole and have you look straight up. You will not see the North Star directly over you head. I think even kindergarden can tell you that the earth makes a complete turn eveyday. If you were at the North Pole in the Morning you would see the North Star to your East, in the Evening it will be West of you. At Noon it will be South of the North Pole and at Midnight it will be North of you. Now I can't get it any simpler than that. The North Star is Not right over the North Pole. It will be another 22,000 years before another Star will be closer. Unless the Earth its self moves off of its axis. But now we are talking about the Magnetic North.

Ill reply again here to you and I noted apologies to you and thanks in a post I just made. Im seeing what you are saying now about the 24 hour period and the small circle.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

You are a great sport, and thank you for letting me respond to you hoping others would get it !!! You have been on here long enough to understand that. Thank you, Now get your compass out. We need all the readings we can get.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, but taking your compass out into the back yard so far away from the circle and pointing it at the North Star, I had to just laugh, and do not mean it in a mean way, but that is the craziest way to find True North or Magnetic North. If you are in Texas at Noon it will say totally different at midnight.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I really don't disbelieve anyone,but my declination from true north is
4 degrees 17 min,and my compass is off a few sec from that.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I am just jumping in here, but I believe it has to do with HAARP.

Just sayin'

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

You are a great sport, and thank you for letting me respond to you hoping others would get it !!! You have been on here long enough to understand that. Thank you, Now get your compass out. We need all the readings we can get.

My compass shows no strangeness.

I am more quick to look into reasons why there would be different readings on compasses then to assume there is something 'out of norm' going on.

I dont think that there is evidence that someone is not telling us something and I dont see evidence that there is absolutely nothing explaining this all as of yet.

I know that there are magnetic anomalies and that to really start reading into our magnetic field, we would have to go beyond compasses.

I found a map of magnetic anomalies and I wonder if anyone understands how to read it?

pubs.usgs.gov...

Should we not be looking into every single possibility before we jump the gun?
edit on 1-4-2011 by LeoVirgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, but taking your compass out into the back yard so far away from the circle and pointing it at the North Star, I had to just laugh, and do not mean it in a mean way, but that is the craziest way to find True North or Magnetic North. If you are in Texas at Noon it will say totally different at midnight.

I really now dont understand what you are talking about.

We are talking about less then 1 degree. Which is why it is said to be 'fixed' in the sky.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Several people stopped coming on here because of the constant arguing over how to read a compass, and being told how ignorant they are. All this about holding the compass up to Polaris [North Star] and taking a picture of it. I wonder if any of these people tried that. If they did they would have found their compass wrong. The North Star is about 40 miles from the North Pole so as the earth make a complete rotation everyday 24 hrs. the reason we have day and night; The pole star makes a complete 40 miles clock wise circle around the point of True North. The people that said that True North is the pole star didn't know this, and still can't except it, as fact. I have noticed a lot of them not coming on this thread anymore too.

BTW....can you give me a link talking about this '40 mile' thing?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

The North Star is fixed in the sky, but the North Pole on the Earth is not fixed to the North Star, visa versa.
Have you looked at a compass and tried to if it is off or not. Where the North Star is and True North is not at all the subject of the Thread. The subject of the thread is where is Magnetic North where you live. Have you posted a comment on that, where I am in SW Arkansas, my compass still reads North as North East. The reason it is doing that is because there is a Magnetic Anomoly in this area, We had a bunch of Yahoo's that said everyone around the Middle of the Eastern United States just didn't know how to read a compass. Sorry but you also came on the thread about True North which is not the subject of the thread and never has been. Kept telling me I am ignorant [not you] and don't know how to read a compass. Therefore I took them down the road of knowledge all about the subject. It just blows me away that most people didn't know the earth made a complete revolution every 24 hrs. Tell you something else, the Planet Earth is traveling 18.5 miles per seconds through space, I love it when people say that is the fastest thing on the planet, The Earth itself in the fastest thing on the planet. Just go to the end of your driveway and think about how fast your car has to go to get you 18 miles down the road in just one second. That does not even include how fast it is spinning around as it goes that fast. And then people say they don't believe in a God. He has a physics language all his own. I don't think I am any smarter than anyone else, everytime I come on ATS I learn something I didn't know. This is the one site on the internet that give John Doe Public, a place to say what they think about things and their own theories.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Polaris is currently 0.7 degrees away from the north pole. By way of comparison, both the sun and the full moon are right around 0.5 degrees across their faces (widths of the moon varies as seen from Earth, because of orbital irregularities - sometimes it's closer and looks bigger, sometimes farther away and looks smaller). Polaris is just under 1 and a half times the full moon's average width away from the north pole. The circle it describes around the pole would be twice that in diameter. Still close enough to find where true north is. It's been a navigational star to find north for well over 200 years, possibly a good deal longer, but not as long as 2000 years.

Even in the precessional cycle, the north pole does not go around Polaris. It describes a circle in the sky, and Polaris is 1/2 degree or so off of that circle at it's closest approach to it, which will be in 2100/2102 during this precessional cycle. The pole does not circle Polaris, it circles a point in the constellation Draco. Here is a short discussion of Polaris, with a diagram of the circle the north pole makes in the sky over 24,000 years, and a nice time-lapse of the night sky centered on Polaris.

I'm more interested in a reference showing it to be 40 miles away from the north pole. Everything I can find puts it at about 430 light years or so away, which is a whole lot of miles - much more than 40 (2,527,803,522,576,000 miles, roughly - that's about 63 trillion times the 40 mile measurement).

edit on 2011/4/1 by nenothtu because: I forgot to multiply miles per light year by light years away - big error.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

I found a map of magnetic anomalies and I wonder if anyone understands how to read it?

pubs.usgs.gov...

That map shows anomalies in field strength rather than field direction.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

The North Star is fixed in the sky, but the North Pole on the Earth is not fixed to the North Star, visa versa.
Have you looked at a compass and tried to if it is off or not. Where the North Star is and True North is not at all the subject of the Thread. The subject of the thread is where is Magnetic North where you live. Have you posted a comment on that, where I am in SW Arkansas, my compass still reads North as North East. The reason it is doing that is because there is a Magnetic Anomoly in this area, We had a bunch of Yahoo's that said everyone around the Middle of the Eastern United States just didn't know how to read a compass. Sorry but you also came on the thread about True North which is not the subject of the thread and never has been. Kept telling me I am ignorant [not you] and don't know how to read a compass. Therefore I took them down the road of knowledge all about the subject. It just blows me away that most people didn't know the earth made a complete revolution every 24 hrs. Tell you something else, the Planet Earth is traveling 18.5 miles per seconds through space, I love it when people say that is the fastest thing on the planet, The Earth itself in the fastest thing on the planet. Just go to the end of your driveway and think about how fast your car has to go to get you 18 miles down the road in just one second. That does not even include how fast it is spinning around as it goes that fast. And then people say they don't believe in a God. He has a physics language all his own. I don't think I am any smarter than anyone else, everytime I come on ATS I learn something I didn't know. This is the one site on the internet that give John Doe Public, a place to say what they think about things and their own theories.

Again, from what I understand, the north pole on earth is for the most part (less then one degree) fixed to Polaris right now...which is why I asked you for a link about the '40 mile' thing.

The reason I kept going on about declination and true north is this. If you figure your declination and then see if that gives you true north (and yes, Polaris is a close enough marker to point at for true north) and then your compass DOES NOT SHOW YOU TRUE NORTH after you figure declination...then you know there is an anomaly. To me, this is the best way to figure out if readings are off because if then everyone is able to use the same figuring. If you figure declination and you still dont get true north on your compass....then you know something is off. We should note....there are several things that can cause an anomaly besides declination not being right. There are several natural things that can give anomaly readings for a given area.

I never saw one person on this thread that did not know the Earth does a complete spin in 24 hours.

So about that 40 mile thing...do you have a link?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Yeah, wouldn't want to jump the gun and assume we know anything about this non-mysterious effect which was predicted by the mainstream media would happen exactly as it is now occurring, including with variations in readings between different compasses, over two months ago.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So I was reading about someone on another site that was having trouble with his compass. Here is some suggestions someone gave to him to check into.

1. A mineral deposit. As far as I know, the iron deposits in your are
are "bog iron," which seems unlikely to create a major magnetic
anomaly. To pursue this, I would begin by looking at bedrock geology
maps of the area, looking for iron-bearing formations, igneous
intrusions, etc. Anything that would cause a compass needle to deviate
like you describe would probably show uf as an aeromagnetic anomaly,
and you said you have checked this.

2. A large man-made concentration of iron or steel. You mentioned that
it jumps around on a certain bridge. A steel bridge? You might try
walking around with your compass near cars, steel structures, etc. to
see what effect they have. I happen to be one of the people who
investigated the Falling Creek Ironworks that someone mentioned, and I
think you would have to be right on top of something like that to see
an effect on your compass.

3. Electromagnetic fields. Are there any high-tension power lines in
the area in question? There may be something under or beside the road
as well. You mention the compass needle "jumping." have you determined
whether this occurs with movement, i.e. moving through static
variations in magnetic field, or does it jump when you are stationary,
which would indicate some sort or EM signal. I have seen pulsed
magnetic anomalies that I suspect were caused by military activities,
but I don't imagine such things being strong enough to effect your
compass. Cheney's cave? Perhaps

4. Your car. The trooper was right about compasses in cars. They can
point north, but I wouldn't rely on it. they can point different
directions in different parts of the car. Try getting out of your car
and walking around to get a better idea of the size and geometry of

This is just a start on some things that can cause such.

I think we should be looking into natural reasons before making assumptions.

I also read that elevation can influence the compass. Im sure certain mountain areas could have different deposits of minerals ect and maybe this could cause some things to show up strange.

If we all only give the magnetic north of our compass....all of our directions of magnetic north will be different due to our locations. So I did not find simply looking at the compass and telling where it reads for magnetic north to be sound. This is why I suggested, figure your declinations, see if after this you are showing true north and if not...then what does your compass say true north is, how much is it off by, and then give your location and elevation. Or something along those lines.
the anomaly without the movement and magnetic fields associated with
your vehicle.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by xaphoocom

The compass I saw in the video has a lighter next to it. Here is an experiment for you all. Take your compass and bring next something metal. It will move. The fact of the matter is Most people don't have a clue how to get an accurate reading from a compass. I have a military grade compass and I can tell you that there hasn't been even a small adjustment since I have been tracking this on March 1st. It's operator error. No offense. Also I'm sure someone else has already said this. If so I'm sorry for repaeating something already stated.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru

Yeah, wouldn't want to jump the gun and assume we know anything about this non-mysterious effect which was predicted by the mainstream media would happen exactly as it is now occurring, including with variations in readings between different compasses, over two months ago.

What main stream media are you talking about? Are you talking about the proof that the magnetic pole is wandering and always has been? Are you talking about that is has always been known that the magnetic north changes over time and also the declination for areas change over time?

And you are aware that there are natural anomalies, right? Are we just to assume that none of these readings have anything to do with some are figuring declination and some are not. Some could live in a area with a natural anomaly. Some could be reading their compass while standing close to something that creates a change in their electromagnetic field around them.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

I also read that metal and power lines can ever effect a compass. Good point.

A note to other posters.

Im not trying to debunk anyone...all Im trying to do, is what I would hope anyone would do. Is mark off all possibilities before we all jump and say that something abnormal is going on or that we are being lied to ect ect.

I find it strange that so many ATSers are not willing to look into all possibilities. Doesnt any good mathematician do 'trial and error' and try to eliminate all possible factors before coming to a solution?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

I'd be interested in reading those predictions. They could go a long way in reconciling this problem. Do you have a link to the story(s)?

new topics

top topics

<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join