It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 72
<< 69  70  71    73  74  75 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Hi Leovirgo, it's odd that the compass changes so much in my area? I wanted others to follow this anecdotal study in January but no one clicked onto it here.
All I have found out is that my house is built on a fault line, so might it be that which is causing these fluctuations?
If so, then why is it fluctuating, is it a normal occurence in faultline areas for compasses to move so much?
Anyone have any idea of causes? I live in a semi country area, not near a city or powerline, phone mast etc.....
I have tried to rule out causes myself but maybe it is just as the compass says, the fluctuations are real?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalenga
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Hi Leovirgo, it's odd that the compass changes so much in my area? I wanted others to follow this anecdotal study in January but no one clicked onto it here.
All I have found out is that my house is built on a fault line, so might it be that which is causing these fluctuations?
If so, then why is it fluctuating, is it a normal occurence in faultline areas for compasses to move so much?
Anyone have any idea of causes? I live in a semi country area, not near a city or powerline, phone mast etc.....
I have tried to rule out causes myself but maybe it is just as the compass says, the fluctuations are real?

Is there any sort of electrical wires near your window seal where your compass sits?

I first would find a place outside of the home to clearly observe the compass. Taking it outside daily, make a simple outdoor table or spot to place the compass onto where you can mark a spot to know it will be in the same spot every time you take it out to observe it. Even though you may not think there is any electrical flow inside near the compass...I would still take the readings to the outdoors just to be absolutely sure first that there is not interference.

There is a thought in the back of my mind that certain places on earth can give a unstable read due to the splotches of our magnetic field. Im not sure how to explain this without further researching it all again, but I do remember reading something that showed how as the magnetic poles wander, there can be places that have a entanglement of sorts. Ill read up on that tomorrow.

My evening was too busy and I did not get a change to dig up the compass and start my own observance. I hope to get this started soon though.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

Also you may want to get away from the metal window, even turn of the century early 1900's windows have metal in them...wheels, pulleys, window weights, not to mention modern storm windows "if you have them"

There could be electrical wires in your wall.....is there a plug in under your window?

Also your entire house is most likely grounded somewhere on the outsides wall of your house...ie..look for heavey gauge bare copper wire...going directly into the dirt.

This is why one of the first rules of a compass is....don't use indoors, you can't get past all the issues created inside.

And your fluctuations could easily be an appliance turning off/on and the current it uses passes your compass in the same wall circuit.
edit on 31-3-2011 by Doc Holiday because: eieio

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Thanks guys, I will get onto modifying the experiment with your advice. I live in a house from the 50's and plastic double glazing but as you point out the electrical wiring could affect it?
I will report any readings and if they are the same, then I don't know what to think?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

The thing is that True North is not unchanging, the North Star is not on True North but moves around it in a 24 hour cycle. This is because the Earth Wobbles. When Man first stepped foot on the Moon, they set up refectors to monitor the wobble of the earth. The wobble causes the North Star to make a circle around the North Pole. And I guess we better take into account that the earth is slowing down in rotation about a half a nano second each day, therefore everyday is longer than the day before. Here on this link is a map, that was shown early in this thread showing the alignment in my area. The Mississippi River is 0, I am 2 lines west of it.
Now , also notice the little circle at the True North Pole and the True South Pole, that little circle shows how much the True poles rotate every 24 hours.

Notice the black line with 0° on it running down the Mississippi river? Along this particular line, both the geographic and magnetic north poles are in alignment so there is no declination. If you move East of this line, the magnetic north pole will pull your compass needle further and further to the West of geographic north - the angle of compass declination is West Declination. Moving west of the Mississippi river will pull your compass needle further and further to the East.

Link
www.compassdude.com...

I am 2 clickes east of the Mississippi. which will cause the compass to be slighty pointing east. My friend that ploted the position of the house at first did not believe it was pointing Northeast and did a declination, because he thought it had to be the problem. Well, it wasn't wrong. North is Northeast where I am. Now getting a camera and pointing the compass at the North Star is totally rediculious.

Yesterday, I got an email from Dr. Barry Warmkessel, an Astrophsyicst, he had been in China all week and could not get back to me sooner on this. His statement on the matter.

I am away from my research sources, but the Earth has not just a single magnetic pole, but has several smaller dipoles that could be growing. In fact the one near South Africa has already flipped, so some of these minor poles could be growing in strengh.

ALMOST INCONCEIVABLE CHANGES IN THE GEOMAGNETIC FIELD. The Earth's geomagnetic field has be found to change as rapidly as 6 degrees per day corresponding to Figure10. Rapid Rotation of the Earth's Inner Core of the ANALYSIS

After getting the email, I can see, where you think everyone that has an off reading must be wrong, well we are not wrong.
And let's see your proof of your compass being right, If everyone on ATS, has to have total proof of everything they say, then you should have a field day on the UFO threads.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Forgot to put the link to the map I referred to sorry, this shows the rotation circle at the poles.

www.physicalgeography.net...

Now here is what we need

A gyrocompass is similar to a gyroscope. It is a compass that can find true north by using an electrically powered, fast-spinning gyroscope wheel and frictional or other forces in order to exploit basic physical laws and the rotation of the Earth. Gyrocompasses are widely used on ships. Marine gyrocompasses have two main advantages over magnetic compasses:

link: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

Look Im terrible at debate..and don't wish to seem to be arguing...but the earth wobble you speak of is not a 24 hour cyle its a 26,000 year + cycle...heres a link...I'll check back later goto get to work. So yeah true north moves...but its uber slow..
en.wikipedia.org...

ETA...unless you mean chandler wobble...which is roughly 20 feet every 430ish days
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 31-3-2011 by Doc Holiday because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-3-2011 by Doc Holiday because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I know it changes pole star every 26,000 years,[called the procession] the last pole star was Thurban, in the Constellation of Draco, the dragon. That is not what I was talking about.

At night the stars appear to drift overhead from east to west, completing a full circuit around the sky in 24 (sidereal) hours. (Of course, exactly the same motion occurs during the day, except that the stars are not visible

The celestial poles are also the poles of the celestial equatorial coordinate system, meaning they have declinations of +90 degrees and −90 degrees (for the north and south celestial poles, respectively).

Link to quote: en.wikipedia.org...

Here is the map I was trying to show that the pole star is really not right over the pole, but it does a complete rotation around the pole every 24 hrs. I think the Pole star is about 40 something miles from being right over the North pole, and as the earth turns every day [24 hrs.] the pole star goes around it. It is not stationary directly over the exact North Pole.

I don't mind a good debate, but this was just misunderstanding of what I was saying.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

I really do gota go to work...I disagree about the stars going east to west...they go around polaris, at least thats what my auto tracker is programmed to do, to track things I observe, thru my tele.. I'll find a time laps photo while at work to post. But I'm sure you have seen this before...I think nat.geo had it "time lapse video/photo" as their TV advert.

I do agree Polaris is not 100% in the middle, the other star that was last the north star 13,000years ago...ohhh I forget its name...anywways ...its a point of referance, much closer than 99% of true north "finding" abilities of most.

much less than a full degree off

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I've had my compass out since yesterday (I'm in Alberta, Canada) and the needle has not moved a millimeter. Perhaps there are some localized magnetic disturbances in your areas, because I have no subjective evidence of there being any deviations in the magnetic field.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DisappearCompletely

You'd better alert the media that they should print retractions of all those news items two months ago, long before this thread, about how some compasses would soon start to act like this because of the shifting...you know what, forget it, I give up. I've learned something valuable from this thread, and it's not about compasses.
edit on 31-3-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
Everyone, Go To the First Page of this Thread, "True North" is "Never " mentioned once, not at all mentioned. When we said North we meant Magnetic North ...because that is what we were talking about.

I dare you to read the first page. GO Read it.

people are comparing north to what they used to believe is north, we have already established that it has changed....i am still not sure why this is so hard to understand that there is nothing going on here that science didnt predict

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru

You'd better alert the media that they should print retractions of all those news items two months ago, long before this thread, about how some compasses would soon start to act like this because of the shifting...you know what, forget it, I give up. I've learned something valuable from this thread, and it's not about compasses.
edit on 31-3-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

I said I haven't seen any subjective evidence of my own, ie: MY compass hasn't been acting strange. When things start acting strange around here, I'll definitely add my data to this thread.

Besides, anyone that understands magnetic fields of bodies in space knows that they flip, move, and change dramatically. I didn't say the whole thing was a hoax, or that this isn't something that is possible, so don't make assumptions on my behalf, thanks.
edit on 31-3-2011 by DisappearCompletely because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Perhaps there are some localized magnetic disturbances in your areas

It seems obvious that you were not posting in awareness that there is already a definitive answer as to whether this is happening on a global scale. I didn't mean to offend you, though -- my frustration started long before this exchange and has little to do with you, so please forgive me if I took it out on you.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I know it changes pole star every 26,000 years,[called the procession] the last pole star was Thurban, in the Constellation of Draco, the dragon. That is not what I was talking about.

At night the stars appear to drift overhead from east to west, completing a full circuit around the sky in 24 (sidereal) hours. (Of course, exactly the same motion occurs during the day, except that the stars are not visible

The celestial poles are also the poles of the celestial equatorial coordinate system, meaning they have declinations of +90 degrees and −90 degrees (for the north and south celestial poles, respectively).

Link to quote: en.wikipedia.org...

Here is the map I was trying to show that the pole star is really not right over the pole, but it does a complete rotation around the pole every 24 hrs. I think the Pole star is about 40 something miles from being right over the North pole, and as the earth turns every day [24 hrs.] the pole star goes around it. It is not stationary directly over the exact North Pole.

I don't mind a good debate, but this was just misunderstanding of what I was saying.

The north star (Polaris) is 1 degree off of true north and it will be like that for another 1000 years. Our true north does not 'go around' the north star every day. You are right, its not directly in line with the north star (like I said, its 1 degree off) but it is for the most part stationary from a day to day basis. It takes a few thousand years for our true north to drift. I think there is some confusion going on with 'words' in trying to explain things.

As the earth spins every day, stars along the ecliptic 'APPEAR' to move east to west while our true north and Polaris stay aligned (for now). There is not enough daily movement to say that our true north actually 'moves around' the north star. True north does not rotate on a daily basis around Polaris. But over a long period of time, Polaris will not be our plotting star for true north. For now though, it is pretty darn perfect to be a plotting spot on a daily basis.

Just because its 1 degree off from true north does not mean that our true north position circles around the north star every day.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

So you know what I was saying. And for people still wondering what I meant by the Pole Star rotates around the pole In this video, "Earth Fast Foreward" if you look at the North Pole it even goes around faster up there than the rest of the earth since it is the top of the "Top". The Pole Star is the Celestrial Pole, Not True North. You stated you didn't believe it went east to west[Clock Wise][that was a quote from Wikepedia, I know they insist on being accurate] the same reason water goes down the drain in the northern part of the planet. The South Pole goes the opposite, Counter Clock Wise, so the water goes down the drain Counter Clock Wise in the Southern part of the planet.
Here is the video link

www.bing.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
....i am still not sure why this is so hard to understand that there is nothing going on here that science didnt predict

That may be true, but what is so wrong with people wanting to discuss it here? Nothing wrong with that at all. Thats what threads like this on ATS is all about. Collaborating discussions. So this thread made more people aware of whats going on with the magnetic fields around our planet...thats a good thing. Otherwise, some of the participating posters in this thread, may not have even known what was going on. Thats denying ignorance my friend.
edit on 3/31/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

The problem is that many people clearly haven't done more than quickly skim the thread and its title, and are posting with an obvious lack of awareness that this wasn't discovered on ATS and doesn't need to be confirmed by its members. Whether the explanation is truly the one provided in the media is certainly a valid discussion to have, but it's not the one a lot of the people in this thread have been having.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

The problem is that many people clearly haven't done more than quickly skim the thread and its title, and are posting with an obvious lack of awareness that this wasn't discovered on ATS and doesn't need to be confirmed by its members. Whether the explanation is truly the one provided in the media is certainly a valid discussion to have, but it's not the one a lot of the people in this thread have been having.

I agree that many haven't taken the time to really read the entire thread. Which can create much confusion. I do urge people to do more than skim this topic, as it IS a very widely debated one, with many theories. The thread wasn't created to claim any one theory, but to discuss the wide array of possibilities whether it be global and/or localized. Greater awareness of these things, is only a good thing.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

reply to post by nenothtu

The thing is that True North is not unchanging, the North Star is not on True North but moves around it in a 24 hour cycle. This is because the Earth Wobbles. When Man first stepped foot on the Moon, they set up refectors to monitor the wobble of the earth. The wobble causes the North Star to make a circle around the North Pole. And I guess we better take into account that the earth is slowing down in rotation about a half a nano second each day, therefore everyday is longer than the day before. Here on this link is a map, that was shown early in this thread showing the alignment in my area. The Mississippi River is 0, I am 2 lines west of it.
Now , also notice the little circle at the True North Pole and the True South Pole, that little circle shows how much the True poles rotate every 24 hours.

Notice the black line with 0° on it running down the Mississippi river? Along this particular line, both the geographic and magnetic north poles are in alignment so there is no declination. If you move East of this line, the magnetic north pole will pull your compass needle further and further to the West of geographic north - the angle of compass declination is West Declination. Moving west of the Mississippi river will pull your compass needle further and further to the East.

Link
www.compassdude.com...

I am 2 clickes east of the Mississippi. which will cause the compass to be slighty pointing east. My friend that ploted the position of the house at first did not believe it was pointing Northeast and did a declination, because he thought it had to be the problem. Well, it wasn't wrong. North is Northeast where I am. Now getting a camera and pointing the compass at the North Star is totally rediculious.

Yesterday, I got an email from Dr. Barry Warmkessel, an Astrophsyicst, he had been in China all week and could not get back to me sooner on this. His statement on the matter.

I am away from my research sources, but the Earth has not just a single magnetic pole, but has several smaller dipoles that could be growing. In fact the one near South Africa has already flipped, so some of these minor poles could be growing in strengh.

ALMOST INCONCEIVABLE CHANGES IN THE GEOMAGNETIC FIELD. The Earth's geomagnetic field has be found to change as rapidly as 6 degrees per day corresponding to Figure10. Rapid Rotation of the Earth's Inner Core of the ANALYSIS

After getting the email, I can see, where you think everyone that has an off reading must be wrong, well we are not wrong.
And let's see your proof of your compass being right, If everyone on ATS, has to have total proof of everything they say, then you should have a field day on the UFO threads.

The Earths wobble does not effect true north to revolve around Polaris from day to day. The wobble only effects the true north and the ability to plot north stars over a long period of time. The north pole does not move around the north star in a 24 hour cycle.

The circle you are seeing shows the wobble of Earth over a long period of time.

The celestial poles do not remain permanently fixed against the background of the stars. Because of a phenomenon known as the precession of the equinoxes, the poles trace out circles on the celestial sphere, with a period of about 25,700 years.

The above is from the wiki article that was linked.

What you quoted about the 0degree declination along the Mississippi is true, but it is also true that this zero line is always moving a big. Which is why mechanical compasses HAVE to be figured for declination on a regular basis to be accurate. Asking for such accuracy or proof is nothing like asking for proof in a UFO thread because here, with compasses, we can offer evidence and valid backing for what we find.

That email you received is absolutely right which is why I mentioned to the poster that had a variation showing up on her compass throughout the day. There are places that have a 'mixed' field or tangled field. The wording in your email described it best by using the 'dip-hole' explanation. But, its more likely that she needs to just take her compass outside.

I finally dug up a compass. At first I was shocked because it did not read correctly. But...as soon as I walked outside away from the house, it showed north right where it was supposed to be. I can make a video of the reading inside the house and then outside if need be.

I think for all of this to be taken seriously....everyone that gave a reading first needs to figure their area and declination. Then, all readings must be taken outside away from any possible interferences.

new topics

top topics

<< 69  70  71    73  74  75 >>

join