It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 67
<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Found this article today. It says Magnetic North did change!

articles.sun-sentinel.com... ational-airport

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by coolottie

David Sereda is not a scientist.

He, is, kind of..

www.alienresistance.org...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Ok I dont have time to read all these posts, sorry, just read the first 7 pages, . . do you all realize that HAARP uses the magnetic field lines and manipulates them in its process of ionizing the plasma layer?, . As far as memory serves me anyway, . .so is it possible that these readings are isolated along a single magnetic line? , .. .. ..just wonderin

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Quote from article at link:

In 1966, Professor Gordon J.F. MacDonald was associate director of the Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics at the University of California, Los Angeles, a member of the US President’s Science Advisory Committee, and later a member of the US President’s Council on Environmental Quality.

He published papers on the use of environmental-control technologies for military purposes. MacDonald made a revealing comment: “The key to geophysical warfare is the identification of environmental instabilities to which the addition of a small amount of energy would release vastly greater amounts of energy.”

World-renowned scientist MacDonald developed ideas for using the environment as a weapon system and he contributed to what was, at the time, only in the wildest dream of a futurist. When he wrote his chapter, “How To Wreck The Environment,” for the book Unless Peace Comes, he was not kidding around. In it he describes the use of weather manipulation, climate modification, polar ice cap melting or destabilisation, ozone depletion techniques, earthquake engineering, ocean wave control and brain wave manipulation using the planet’s energy fields.

He speculated these types of weapons would be developed and, when used, would be virtually undetectable by their victims. Is HAARP one such weapon?

www.mathaba.net...?related

edit on 24-3-2011 by Tecumte because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Note in the image, the increase in movement over the years, since 1800's start point of reference, as the rate may not even relate, however thought was worthy of posting the article for reference!

Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field
science.nasa.gov...

December 29, 2003: Every few years, scientist Larry Newitt of the Geological Survey of Canada goes hunting. He grabs his gloves, parka, a fancy compass, hops on a plane and flies out over the Canadian arctic. Not much stirs among the scattered islands and sea ice, but Newitt's prey is there--always moving, shifting, elusive. His quarry is Earth's north magnetic pole. At the moment it's located in northern Canada, about 600 km from the nearest town: Resolute Bay, population 300, where a popular T-shirt reads "Resolute Bay isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from here." Newitt stops there for snacks and supplies--and refuge when the weather gets bad. "Which is often," he says. Right: The movement of Earth's north magnetic pole across the Canadian arctic, 1831--2001. Credit: Geological Survey of Canada.

Scientists have long known that the magnetic pole moves. James Ross located the pole for the first time in 1831 after an exhausting arctic journey during which his ship got stuck in the ice for four years. No one returned until the next century. In 1904, Roald Amundsen found the pole again and discovered that it had moved--at least 50 km since the days of Ross. Sign up for EXPRESS SCIENCE NEWS delivery The pole kept going during the 20th century, north at an average speed of 10 km per year, lately accelerating "to 40 km per year," says Newitt. At this rate it will exit North America and reach Siberia in a few decades. Keeping track of the north magnetic pole is Newitt's job. "We usually go out and check its location once every few years," he says. "We'll have to make more trips now that it is moving so quickly." Earth's magnetic field is changing in other ways, too: Compass needles in Africa, for instance, are drifting about 1 degree per decade. And globally the magnetic field has weakened 10% since the 19th century. When this was mentioned by researchers at a recent meeting of the American Geophysical Union, many newspapers carried the story. A typical headline: "Is Earth's magnetic field collapsing?" Probably not. As remarkable as these changes sound, "they're mild compared to what Earth's magnetic field has done in the past," says University of California professor Gary Glatzmaier. Sometimes the field completely flips. The north and the south poles swap places. Such reversals, recorded in the magnetism of ancient rocks, are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago. Are we overdue for another? No one knows. Left: Magnetic stripes around mid-ocean ridges reveal the history of Earth's magnetic field for millions of years. The study of Earth's past magnetism is called paleomagnetism. Image credit: USGS.

According to Glatzmaier, the ongoing 10% decline doesn't mean that a reversal is imminent. "The field is increasing or decreasing all the time," he says. "We know this from studies of the paleomagnetic record." Earth's present-day magnetic field is, in fact, much stronger than normal. The dipole moment, a measure of the intensity of the magnetic field, is now 8 × 1022 amps × m2. That's twice the million-year average of 4× 1022 amps × m2. To understand what's happening, says Glatzmaier, we have to take a trip ... to the center of the Earth where the magnetic field is produced. At the heart of our planet lies a solid iron ball, about as hot as the surface of the sun. Researchers call it "the inner core." It's really a world within a world. The inner core is 70% as wide as the moon. It spins at its own rate, as much as 0.2° of longitude per year faster than the Earth above it, and it has its own ocean: a very deep layer of liquid iron known as "the outer core." Right: a schematic diagram of Earth's interior. The outer core is the source of the geomagnetic field. Earth's magnetic field comes from this ocean of iron, which is an electrically conducting fluid in constant motion. Sitting atop the hot inner core, the liquid outer core seethes and roils like water in a pan on a hot stove. The outer core also has "hurricanes"--whirlpools powered by the Coriolis forces of Earth's rotation. These complex motions generate our planet's magnetism through a process called the dynamo effect. Using the equations of magnetohydrodynamics, a branch of physics dealing with conducting fluids and magnetic fields, Glatzmaier and colleague Paul Roberts have created a supercomputer model of Earth's interior. Their software heats the inner core, stirs the metallic ocean above it, then calculates the resulting magnetic field. They run their code for hundreds of thousands of simulated years and watch what happens. What they see mimics the real Earth: The magnetic field waxes and wanes, poles drift and, occasionally, flip. Change is normal, they've learned. And no wonder. The source of the field, the outer core, is itself seething, swirling, turbulent. "It's chaotic down there," notes Glatzmaier. The changes we detect on our planet's surface are a sign of that inner chaos. They've also learned what happens during a magnetic flip. Reversals take a few thousand years to complete, and during that time--contrary to popular belief--the magnetic field does not vanish. "It just gets more complicated," says Glatzmaier. Magnetic lines of force near Earth's surface become twisted and tangled, and magnetic poles pop up in unaccustomed places. A south magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for instance, or a north pole over Tahiti. Weird. But it's still a planetary magnetic field, and it still protects us from space radiation and solar storms. Above: Supercomputer models of Earth's magnetic field. On the left is a normal dipolar magnetic field, typical of the long years between polarity reversals. On the right is the sort of complicated magnetic field Earth has during the upheaval of a reversal.

And, as a bonus, Tahiti could be a great place to see the Northern Lights. In such a time, Larry Newitt's job would be different. Instead of shivering in Resolute Bay, he could enjoy the warm South Pacific, hopping from island to island, hunting for magnetic poles while auroras danced overhead. Sometimes, maybe, a little change can be a good thing.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I don't know what the Hell this is but wonder if it could cause whatever. Wish they would tell more about it. Does anyone know? Just thought it was really interesting. Maybe that is what the Military is doing in the Bermuda Triangle.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

It's the work of KevinMC
You can see more here:
www.youtube.com.../u

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
So I found this neat little tool for google earth of a map of magnetic anomolies......
See you can match where you are with it,I'm just doing the US right now and I don't now how up to date it is,
but take a look,
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ddd4192b5bad.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 24-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

The little yellow dots,if you look closely are earthquakes,I know its kinda hard to see.
Better to download it yourself and look at it on GE.
edit on 24-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It was posted by "EverLookUp" 2 days ago. I didn't see the video on the Kevin channel.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Solar flares and eathquakes have tilted the poles thats why we are now about 3 weeks off in all seasons. Offcourse compasses are out of whack too

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

It was posted in 2008

Just a little impression I did of a forming blackhole from the space shuttle 8)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You so Right !!! I hope he has a job by now in FX. I kept thinking now one would do that good a job on a fake. Forgive me for even questioning you. Phage, thank you, again. And you were right about the Sereda guy, just because I love Archaeology sure doesn't make me one, never even been to a dig. I bet Youtube just gives up at trying to keep the fakers from posting everywhere, they are good at it.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Bah, north is still where it should be in NB. Going to bed now, peace.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Wow, within only a few hours of posting my link to the sight dealing with "haarp-like" things, for the last 10 or so hours the link reads:

Error: 56
Sorry, we are probably overloaded, please try again in a few minutes, meanwhile:

You can check our Status to see if there are other problems.

I wonder how many visitors it takes to do that for 10 straight hours. Maybe just 1?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
North also appears to line up straight north (not corrected for) for several compass readings taken in town, in mid-missouri at about 8:00 p.m. under cloudy/hazy (plane exhaust enhanced) skies.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I found an articile about tests on humans inner ear and static magentic field. All these dizzy spells, upset stomach and falling could be caused by the Magnetic Anomolies. What does Static mean? Is that electrical charged or something.

link to articile,

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I hope this thread doesn't die,,

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I would assume static in this case means constant.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This thread is still going?

Please, use a proper reference.
Go outside and find true North using the North Star.

Then report your findings.

It's THAT basic people.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

Here in Southwest Arkansas, Today it has been right on Northeast. I even looked at it once and the hand was just bobbing up and down, I don't know what that means, but not changing direction just shaking like.

All of the other threads I have been reading are like a result or symtom of Magnectic field. I posted on each one to look at their compasses and left them a link to this Thread. The more results we get the better.

<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join