It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 60
<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Liberterius

I know I made a mistake, trying to discuss anything with people that don't even care what the thread is about but just want to start trouble, saying the thread should go in the hoax section, and the OP doesn't know what he is talking about, not contributing any information or thoughts on the topic, on starting arugments. I am still looking for the "Ignor Button" too. So many come on to just bullie, since they have issues in their life. MaddogHunter, started what I think is a great thread, everyone can enjoy searching for the answers, and we all get to learn things we didn't know, and having a great time. Some people, just need to be looked over and my mistake for trying to help them understand the subject, but found they didn't care about the subject at all. My mistake.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Thought I would take up some space while waiting for Esteay812 to generate his readings.
Love talkin about myself...I got caught up in this because I went to MadDogTheHunter's 'What Has Happened To ATS?' post. I kind of flamed him there a little. Then I saw this post and saw that it was the MadDog once more and thought that what he was doing was kind of a bait and switch with some document from 2003 or 2005 or something. Now that I have plumbed the depths of my own dorky ignorance once more (once more! Thanks ATS! Losing Is Fun!) I realize that there was an 'Old ATS'. I don't even know what I can really contribute now. I guess enthusiasm, a passion for writing and, well, I have a pretty deep knowledge of Horticulture and Botany if that is of any use to anyone.
So I hope the core experts and professionals will stick around to straighten out the likes of me. I no longer find you smug. Just experienced.
And here is to MadDogTheHunter for showing us all what ATS is about. He has kind of forced the expert opinion, one way or another, as this plays out.
Love to learn! Totally trainable!.

P.S. That means you can ask gardening questions. I am good enough to cover the cold states, too.

edit on 23-3-2011 by Frater210 because: Pluggin' my mad plant skills

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

I have always thought if a thread garners a reply, good or bad, it was worth the effort. Judging by the response this thread has gotten it needs to go no where near the HOAX forum until something definitive can be established and even then I think the HOAX bin would be a bit of a reach - since this was not a premeditated plan by hundreds across the country to dupe anyone.

If anything it deserves a sticky for a couple months so those who might encounter the cause of this anomaly will be familiar with it, either as soon as they come here after witnessing it or educating themselves in the event they encounter this somewhere in the future.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
So I just checked my compass and when I hold it it points north in a easterly direction.

When I set it down is some areas it points North in the right direction.

And some areas when I set it down it points north in a very east direction.

This is with two good compasses.

Hmmph wonder what they are doing.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

A magnetic compass does not require calibration. A magnetic compass does not have a declination setting.
What kind of compass are you using?

edit on 3/23/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It is a Suunto Vector. There is a calibration process. It uses a small bubble in the watch face. That is why I was using the level out of doors. Also, I realized that the declination setting is for land nav so I switched that off and got the same reading. It was a little bit of a struggle to get it right in the dark but I was satisfied that everything was set up correctly. I know this is going to come down to some error on my part I just can't wait to find out what it is. The mystery is killing me.

edit on 23-3-2011 by Frater210 because: Picture?

Just wanted you to know that when I now read your words I am hearing John (Bigboo-te) Lithgow's voice. It is cracking me up. Thank you again for helping me.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

That's not a magnetic compass. Electronic compasses are subject to all sorts of problems. I'm not sure I would trust it. It's probably ok if you want to follow a straight line but for a true bearing...I don't know.
www.safety-devices.com...

Phones also have electronic rather than magnetic compasses. There's an interesting video on this page for those who are using them.
www.augmentedplanet.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree, Phage. I don't trust it. I am going to lay hands on one of the military lensatic compasses with the tritium markers as soon as possible. Wish I had had it for this. I am sure there is something up with me and my watch and not the earth's magnetic field. After going over all of this so much I am realizing that there is a small deviation from what I once knew as N but I have not given it a close inspection in many many years and any deviation is congruent with what I have learned about the real and anticipated migration of N. So whatever is going on with the Suunto is likely the Suunto. I plan on getting a good compass and I am going to get a handle on this one way or another. It's fun. And I feel I owe it to myself to be able to land navigate. I have always felt guilty for not mastering it in the service.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Great Maps of this Link: Here are some Quotes from it.

"

The following fact is even more astonishing…The following fact is even more astonishing…
During the past 10 years, the magnetic north pole has shifted nearly half of the total distance of the past 50 years! In other words, the pole shift has apparently sped up substantially.

Not only that, but it is interesting to note that both the north and south magnetic poles are favoring one side of the earth – the south pole is heavily favoring one side, and continues to move further away from true south.

North Magnetic Pole Shift
modernsurvivalblog.com...

South Magnetic Pole Shift.
modernsurvivalblog.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Here is a bit of info on magnetic compasses. I know electronic compasses have become very popular and these magnetic compasses may not get as much play as they used to. It does seem like they are the most reliable type of compass, if not the most reliable, that one can own for a decent cost and have quality readings at the same time.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2f9ef24e28bd.jpg[/atsimg]

Wiki Link

Other, more accurate devices have been invented for determining north that do not depend on the Earth's magnetic field for operation (known in such cases as true north, as opposed to magnetic north). A gyrocompass or astrocompass can be used to find true north, while being unaffected by stray magnetic fields, nearby electrical power circuits or nearby masses of ferrous metals. A recent development is the electronic compass, or fibre optic gyrocompass, which detects the magnetic directions without potentially fallible moving parts. This device frequently appears as an optional subsystem built into GPS receivers. However, magnetic compasses remain popular, especially in remote areas, as they are relatively inexpensive, durable, and require no electrical power supply.

A compass functions as a pointer to "magnetic north" because the magnetized needle at its heart aligns itself with the lines of the Earth's magnetic field. The magnetic field exerts a torque on the needle, pulling one end or pole of the needle toward the Earth's North magnetic pole, and the other toward the South magnetic pole. The needle is mounted on a low-friction pivot point, in better compasses a jewel bearing, so it can turn easily. When the compass is held level, the needle turns until, after a few seconds to allow oscillations to die out, one end points toward the North magnetic pole.

The first compasses were made of lodestone, a naturally-magnetized ore of iron. Ancient people found that if a lodestone was suspended so it could turn freely, it would always point in the same direction (toward the magnetic poles). Later compasses were made of iron needles, magnetized by stroking them with a lodestone.

Navigation prior to the compass See also: Polynesian navigation
Prior to the introduction of the compass, position, destination, and direction at sea was primarily determined by the sighting of landmarks, supplemented with the observation of the position of celestial bodies. Ancient mariners often kept within sight of land. The invention of the compass enabled the determination of heading when the sky was overcast or foggy. And, when the sun or other known celestial bodies could be observed, it enabled the calculation of latitude. This enabled mariners to navigate safely far from land, increasing sea trade, and contributing to the Age of Discovery.

Reading a Compass

To read your compass,

Hold your compass steadily in your hand so the baseplate is level and the direction-of-travel arrow is pointing straight away from you.
Hold it about halfway between your face and waist in a comfortable arm position with your elbow bent and compass held close to your stomache.
Look down at the compass and see where the needle points.

I suppose those directions are good, assuming the magnetic alignment hasn't changed. In that case, I defer to Phage,
I suppose that is what the polaris talk, etc, was about... I came in a bit late today and just caught the last few pages, but thought I would add some filler until my cosmic compass gets warmed up...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks so much for the links, The one on Augmented Reality and compasses is very informative and intriguing. I have been waiting for the new Augmented Reality based games to come out and now I question how they will overcome this. I am surprised no one has come up with software to auto correct this some how. I mean they are using satellites.
For those who are not familiar with the games that are coming out based on this technology imagine an old school game of Killer or Assassin but using your phone. The game 'overlays' a game map on the screen of your phone using your location in real time.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

That's a nice one but unless you really plan on getting into some serious orienteering you don't need to go that far.
Something from silvacompass.com would work just fine.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

The game 'overlays' a game map on the screen of your phone using your location in real time.

That sounds awesome! I guess it is the VR for the 2nd decade of the new millenium

Wonder how many people it would have walking into traffic, not paying attention to their actual surrounding, staring at their screen. Unless I am imagining it completely wrong...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

So how is that different from texting?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, since you mention it. I bought a couple of books on compass reading and orienteering a couple of years ago. The project got back burner-ed due to all sorts of things. Since this thread and your push have caused me to get out the compass and learn to use it and since I am presently overcoming a so far lifelong math-phobia I think I might do just that. There are a lot of good places around here to do it and it could add some new fun to hiking and mountain biking (orienteering, that is). Plus, as I said, I should know how to do this already. I will be prepared for sure for upcoming ATS compass threads. Thanks.

P.S. My Watch was made in Finland. Did you know that orienteering is the National sport there? It is hilarious to watch the T.V. coverage of it. Very Monty Pythonesque as men are filmed racing through the woods in colored tights.

Familiar Troll?
edit on 23-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

haha, good point.

I don't really ever text, so it hasn't been an issue yet. I have had the stuff scared out of me while driving though.

It is always such a nice rush to have a car come over into my lane while passing me on the highway, only to notice the person inside with their eyeballs glued to the phone screen, both hands pecking away and a knee on the wheel, completely oblivious at how close they just came to being completely through and taking me with them!
edit on 23-3-2011 by esteay812 because: sshhh

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

P.S. My Watch was made in Finland. Did you know that orienteering is the National sport there? It is hilarious to watch the T.V. coverage of it. Very Monty Pythonesque as men are filmed racing through the woods in colored tights.

Dollars to donuts they don't use their watches...no matter what they wear (shudder).

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You are correct. It is a base-compass thumb-compass combo. I love my watch but knew I was in for trouble when I read the instructions for calibration. Just using it tonight proved how difficult it would be to use in the field to orient oneself quickly and under pressure. It would take a lot of practice just with that watch. Not ideal for trying to figure out whether or not the natural environment has been seriously re-ordered. I think I made it work as well as it could, though.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Liberterius

During this weird Monthly Event as Japans mainland has shifted 8 feet from the 9.0 Earthquake/Tsunami
another Oil Leak in the Gulf?

Two things happened in the East Coast of the U.S. Strange nosies shaking the ground that was constant yet no Richter Scale along the East Coast path Moved !, Compass are way off all of a Sudden and people are now noticing the Compass change in certain places more ever before all along the east coast all along Appalachian Mountains towards Florida And There's is too many witness on the EAST Coast Near the Mountain Regions Will it snap back Realigned I would say yes for the time ..

There is a thread here that ATS Member named Under water posted

Here is the Link
Map of the strange sound phenomenon heard around the world., page 1
www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=678017

what happened on March 16th 2011 in my Area a 3.7 Earth quake (Video)
Wednesday: Small Earthquake Felt In St. Lawrence County
www.wwnytv.com...

(Last Year)
Temblor in Canada shakes up NNY
MAGNITUDE 5.0: Tremors strong locally, but reached NYC, Ohio
THURSDAY, JUNE 24, 2010
www.watertowndailytimes.com...

edit on 23-3-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I must not understand your terminology. I have a Suunto MC-1 which I'm fairly certain is a magnetic compass, and it certainly does have the ability for declination adj. Am I over-reading your use of the term "setting" here to preclude "adjustment"?

new topics

top topics

<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join