It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by darius2025

They're saying that the further all the posted readings are northward, the more degrees difference there seems to be in compass readings.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

That's exactly what I am saying. Thank you maddog

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

we really need a map update
we need to see this

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dyzan
just thought i would add my 2 cents. I'm in Dallas, Tx, i don't have a regular compass, so i got an app for my iphone. i know which way due south is because it is the direction my satellite dish points.

The compass pointed the exact opposite of the dish, meaning north. When i first moved in i had a compass and it pointed the same way.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Dyzan because: spelling

So you are saying that your compass is working fine? I believe you... but I also don't think i'm crazy. Magnetic anomaly??? Just speculating.

BTW, I just noticed that the needle direction depends on where I am standing in my appartment. Realized this as I was walking through my living room and the needle did a full 180. I will have to check it outside tomorrow.

NOTE: Obviously TV/Computer/stereo speakers affect the outcome... but I had no idea walking through a door frame would make the needle spin.

EDIT: I just realized i'm mucking up the thread by continuing to post. I will stop now unless I have further relevant information.

edit on 19-3-2011 by darius2025 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Originally posted by UberL33t
Okay, I took the responses so far that were in the US. The Red is the compasses where North is off and appears East, and the Green are compasses that are true North. Maybe a pattern forming

There was just a thread created about minor quakes starting from the northern end of the New Madrid and hooking left toward Texas and New Mexico and these plots seem to follow that general shape, certainly something to take in to consideration, I will edit this and add a link to that thread ASAP...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 19-3-2011 by Hawking because: LINK

This is the old map, anyone have an updated version? Afraid I'm not computer savvy enough to work one out. Certainly a fascinating thread at this point, would love to know what this could mean
edit on 19-3-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

It's a known fact that compasses act anomalously in certain places, and during certain weather patterns. (During a solar storm for instance, compasses have been known to misbehave in the northern hemispheres). Compasses don't react to the geography of where north is on a map. Rather, they react to the magnetic field. If there was a field source, weaker than the magnetic field of earth, but close to the compasses mentioned. It could distort the readings those compasses would give.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Sorry the thread is growing fast and it is hard to keep up this is a usgs eq map from 30min ago

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by darius2025

NOTE: Obviously TV/Computer/stereo speakers affect the outcome... but I had no idea walking through a door frame would make the needle spin.

Nails or screws used in the construction of homes can affect a compass too. Best bet is to go someplace you're familiar with, with no buildings, powerlines, etc... and know the direction of north from, then check a few times.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by renegadeloser
reply to post by 5StarOracle

It's a known fact that compasses act anomalously in certain places, and during certain weather patterns. (During a solar storm for instance, compasses have been known to misbehave in the northern hemispheres). Compasses don't react to the geography of where north is on a map. Rather, they react to the magnetic field. If there was a field source, weaker than the magnetic field of earth, but close to the compasses mentioned. It could distort the readings those compasses would give.

That's my thinking - and plate movement would (or at least could) have a piezoelectric field generation that would affect compasses. If the quakes and the magnetic anomaly are correlated, that would make sense, I would think.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
fyi

4.4 EQ in Canada just a little bit ago: see this post on the Quake Watch 2011 thread.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

If this were true, then why couldn't some of these so-called scientists figure out that they could relate quakes and magnetic anomaly with a simple compass? Just a funny thought. You make an interesting observation.
edit on 3/19/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

If this were true, then why couldn't some of these so-called scientists figure out that they could relate quakes and magnetic anomaly with a simple compass? Just a funny thought. You make an interesting observation.

It may be that certain conditions - like a deposit of crystal under the surface - is needed. Perhaps there is such a place in this instance. I doubt it would always occur so perfectly. If it is the case to begin with.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
We need more compass readings (preferably with compasses, not digital apps) from Europe, Australia, South America, Africa and Asia. Try to get a wider view on this.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
But it also begs the question why isn't everyone complaining about their compases being "off" out in California with as many EQ's as they have daily? And I believe we had one poster out in Cali that said that they got an accurate reading.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
ok, just went through all the posts up to and including page 6....I've got a rough map for ya'll ( and I do mean rough)

but I don't know how to show it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Evol Eric reporting in from South East Kentucky...

My Iphone app is working just fine... well as good as it can... it varies on north by a few degrees... always has... but its nothing I am alarmed about...

so I made a compass from a needle... and I've done this before... worked fine...

but its going nuts! my needle is constantly being pulled to the east... I put it in the middle of my cup and ZOOM it flys to the eastward side of my cup... actually a lil more north eastern... never seen that before? so I then get the idea that needle was possessed by the devil and got a new one, a lil bigger... it seems to be working "normal" for the most part... but it prefers the west side of my cup...

both needle points pointed away from north... never seen that either... isnt the sharp pointy end supposed to point north?

ps.... it does waver in its north readings... kinda like my iphone odd...

anyways i might just be retarded... take this info for what you want

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

Perhaps many just didn't notice, or maybe just didn't think much of it IF they did notice. Or, possibly thought their compass was just junk.

link   
reply to post by watchdog

I was just reading through the posts and I also noticed on the map that if you connect all the red dots inside is where all of the earthquakes Texas Arkansas North Carloina and on up North toward New York State. I just noticed that and like you could earthquakes cause a megnetic anomoly or is there a megnetic anomoly causeing the Earquakes. With the New Madrid running right up the middle on the inside of the connected Red Dots.

link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

edit on 3/19/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

Actually they have. they stared in 07. They found that there are electromagnetic and ground temp spikes 24 to 72 hours before an EQ. here is a link to build your own monitor www.vlf.it... . I will get you the scientific studies shortly.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
heh you guys are funny, I said or a natural disaster as I was thinking earthquake, but thats what you want to hear I figure... Also Im not old nuff to smoke and dont do drugs...

Have a look outside those with funny readings look to the east see if you spot funny lights in the sky...
edit on 20-3-2011 by 5StarOracle because: ....

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join