It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Ok, just checked mine and it's off by aproximately 15 degrees. So not a lot, but still not where it should be.
2nd line..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by antibyte

Apparently...a bigger map may be required

That made me think of "We're going to need a bigger box..."

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Yup, the droids app is making me mad, So if I got lost I wouldnt beable to get back

Its confusing me bad. Im gunna quit looking at it

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
could it have anything to do with gravitational pull from the supermoon? maybe once it passes compasses will go back to normal?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

Strange that compass apps are also messing up. Aren't they GPS based??

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Someone (Coolotie) posted on page 3 that they are in Arkansas and are reporting a false reading also, saying they are getting a more easterly reading.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

i was thinking the same thing
they all seem to be messed up

link   
Hi people,

Just want to chip in my two cents.

A few weeks ago, I was playing with my iPhone4 and downloading a few compas apps. as camping season is just around the corner.

Before reading this thread, I noticed that the compases are 'off'. I dismissed it until I read this thread. I am estimating that it is about 45 degrees off. Both my iPhone and my analog compases point in the same direction and I feel that both are a little off.

Strange to say the least.

BTW, To confirm, I brough up google maps... took note of which way 'North' is... looked at the largest street near me "Hurontario" (I'm in Mississauga, Ontario), set up some imaginary lines on my livingroom floor in the general orientation of Hurontatio and also Hwy 403. North is ~45 degrees between Hurontario/403... poped up my compass and sure enough, it's about 40-45 degrees off.

EDIT: forgot to mention that they are 'off' in the eastern direction.
edit on 19-3-2011 by darius2025 because: (no reason given)

link   
Nope, they use an electronic compass chip and are normaly very accurate,

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

Strange that compass apps are also messing up. Aren't they GPS based??

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Sort of a piezoelectric thing? Pressures creating local fields... I'm thinking. And added pressure means.... Earthquake likely.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by antibyte

Okay. For some reason, I was thinking that compass apps are calibrated by GPS readings, compared to current location, along with a sensor inside the phones.
edit on 3/19/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/19/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I have a military grade los compass and was hiking in the woods behind my house last weekend.
I was showing my boys how to get home using a compass.
I asked them which direction we left the house to enter the woods.
They said WEST.
Good I said.
So which direction do we need to head in order to get home?
EAST? they responded.
Yes, I said.

So, with that I told my oldest to get his compass out of his bob and look at it to determine which way EAST was.
He located EAST.
Here's the problem. It wasn't pointing EAST.
If we would have followed the compass we would have never gotten home.
It was saying EAST was North.

He was saying, "but dad, the compass says to go this way to get home".
I told him "son, the compass must be broken or something. If we go that way we'll never get home".

Later I double checked with my Military Compass and came to the conclusion that I needed to brush up on my
skills a little.

Now, I'm not so sure.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Ok, so am I understanding correctly that the further "north" we go in posts that there is a bigger degree difference? Mine in NC is 15 degrees off, VA is 30 something degree difference, PA and Canada a 40 something degree difference?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

So far, it seems to be adding up to a pattern like that.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I tried a different compass and am still showing north as somewhat to the east. I'm in Southern Illinois so you can add me to the map. I wonder if the New Madrid fault has anything to do with this. We are pretty close. Tomorrow, after my son gets up, I think we may go out and experiment with the compasses we have a bit.
You know, when we were using his boy scout compass the other day, it was like one of those moments where your child is looking to you as if you are God and then things don't work out and they find out you really don't know everything. I didn't want to say, "Son, I think you got a bum compass.", but I was looking pretty stupid. Maybe it really wasn't me or the compass.LOL

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Add some flags and stuff to this thread so we can get more readings from more locations. More flags = more views = more readings and information to help us figure this all out. I don't care about stars. We just need to push this thread up a little so more will see it and join in with us.

Note:

I never ask for Flags on a thread, I don't believe in that. But I think this once, its appropriate for research sake.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Im not sure..
but they make it looks like a real compass but its tripping. It wont stay still. It keeps moving in the north, northeast then east direction, back and forth.
edit on 19-3-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: aaa

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchdog
Ok, so am I understanding correctly that the further "north" we go in posts that there is a bigger degree difference? Mine in NC is 15 degrees off, VA is 30 something degree difference, PA and Canada a 40 something degree difference?

Now THAT is weird.
edit on 19-3-2011 by darius2025 because: missunderstanding

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Very interesting and rightly noted.

So now, its also certain phone apps pretty much doing the same as a standard compass.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
just thought i would add my 2 cents. I'm in Dallas, Tx, i don't have a regular compass, so i got an app for my iphone. i know which way due south is because it is the direction my satellite dish points.

The compass pointed the exact opposite of the dish, meaning north. When i first moved in i had a compass and it pointed the same way.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Dyzan because: spelling

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join