It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Some people say they see a pattern forming between the January mass animal deaths and the compass anomalies. I made an animated overlay of the two maps which is embedded below. Green markers are correct compass readings, red markers are "off" compass readings, and blue markers are mass animal death incidents (that happened in January). The compass map is anecdotal whereas the mass animal death map was created from news reports.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/528e2dad289d.gif[/atsimg]
Fullview
Sources: Compass Reading Map & Mass Animal Deaths

There's not really enough data to create a hypothesis yet. If anyone living near the cities of the January animal deaths could take a compass reading and add it to the compass reading map, we might be able to see a clearer pattern. If your compass reading seems off, double check using Polaris as a guide for true north (it's only 0.7° off from the Earth's rotational axis). There have also been more mass animal deaths since then like the one in Redondo Beach, California that happened before the Touhoku earthquake:

Scientists are working to determine what caused oxygen levels to drop so steeply that fish estimated to be in the millions suffocated and deposited a silver sheen of carcasses, many of them sardines, among the rows of docked boats.
Source: latimesblogs.latimes.com...

I've seen nothing extraordinary on my compass here so far, but I'm keeping an open mind and a watchful eye for any magnetic interference. Geomagnetic storms have been shown to affect compasses strongly before:

The compass variation at the Lerwick geomagnetic observatory in Scotland changed by 5.1 degrees in only 25 minutes at about 0630 GMT.

(Last Updated: Thursday, 30 October, 2003, 08:34 GMT)
Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Checked both my Compasses again today. Wow ! North is now N-NE by 12 degrees off Magnetic north. . Checked the Blackberry Again and it's true GPS, messed with it for 2 hours just to make sure it's pointing magnetic north. Also broke out the Garmin, It's also pointing true north from the sat just like the blackberry.

The two Compasses are real military issue. Never have they been wrong until now. Then again they may not be wrong at all. So it seems today both are off another 6-7 degrees.

I calibrated my compasses with the East West declinations a month ago. I used these compasses for my trusty backup in the Blackhawk UH-60 for navigation, they have never failed me and I used them quite often when flying the nap in the various terrains but mostly deserts. these and a topo-map will get you anyplace in the world you need to be. I also used them to call in artillery fire when flying so the Big gun guys could walk up the fire pattern. sometime electronic equipment just won't suffice at times, its hard to get fast gps lock when you need it.

Just wondering if this could be from residual radiation in the atmosphere due to the japan nuclear plant or the 9.0 earthquake? something seems to have changed.

Reading from Central New Mexico

[
edit on 21-3-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Map of Mass Animal Deaths: maps.google.com...,20.830078&spn=57.253927,79.013672&z=4

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by arrus75

????

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
mod closed my original post to this kid right off the bat.

...THe OP doesn't know how to use a compass, then a few of you also who don't know how to use a compass only gave him a reason to keep going. This is clearly non-scientific with most people who actually understand compasses realize the difference between true and magnetic north. You need a map, a compass, and a reference point all in order to get coordinance.

This thread is a map and compass with no reference point.
edit on 20-3-2011 by THEDUDE86 because: (no reason given)

How do you have the nerve to say he does not know how to use a compass????....You do not know him!!...There are many here getting wrong readings and btw using a compass is not hard....Are you upset that his thread is getting more attention than yours???

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL

Originally posted by br0ker
reply to post by XtraTL

Karmøy (karmoy) is 150 miles to the west. We`re also talking extreme differences in terrain as well. From rugged mountain to steep fjords, from calm wather to stormy gulf stream northern winds.

I just want to hear what a few other people have to say, so you and me might as well ignore this and watch the data that now pops up taking into consideration the threads info.

So you don't think it at all strange that the many sensitive, calibrated and accurate magnetometers in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the US and the pacific are ALL showing nothing unusual.

But the extremely inaccurate hand measurements taken by individuals measuring according to the direction of the moon (not east), the sun (not east) or where they think they remember their family once said they thought it was, or with broken compasses and with measurements that vary by no less than 60 degrees are somehow more accurate than these monitoring stations all over the world!?

Why is it so unreasonable to insist on evidence?

Evidence is a matter of statistics. If 15 out of 15 people in a small town, all experienced with a compass and a map, all accounting for declination, find that their compasses are off by 30 degrees then you have your evidence, right?

Please do post the data you have from the last 2-3 days from accurate magnetometers in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and the US. I would like to see this evidence you`re speaking of as I haven`t found it in this thread.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Anokorok

My compass is normal and for reference i am within the green border on your map

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Limpingbear
reply to post by kylioneXsushi

I am the one from southwest virginia that first checked my compass when mad dog contacted me. Do you reliaze how many hours he spent on this thread? Maybe he just missed spoked China for Japan after spending so many hours following this thread and researching what he could. Come on give me a break and take a look at your own compass and how many other people on this thread are having the same problem. I've spent my whole like using a compass hunting, fishing and such and I am damn near 50 years old. You think you are going to tell me that mad dog doesn't know what he is talking about I think you had better look over the whole thread before you get uptight with the differenece of Japan and China becuase they all look alike to me. Keep going Mad Dog and everyone on this thread who sees what is happening.

You misunderstand me. I believe that people are discovering a discrepancy in their compass readings as much as 20 degrees. I feel that it could be due to changes with the Earths poles and magnetic North moving. I just loath when someone is so ignorant (we are supposed to deny it right?) as to think Japan and China are the same. They are VERY different. It is akin to comparing America and France.

So, yeah I saw ignorance, and I denied it.
Also, West Virgina? Or just SW Virginia? If it's WV get out as soon as you can. That place sucks.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Byteman

Do people really think that this many replies would be occuring if there was "nothing to this"?
I mean 20+ pages worth of posts. You read the OP and without so much as reading 1 full page of replies you & several others have determined that there's nothing at all to it and the OP was trying to "scare people".

It's ANNOYING!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric
reply to post by kylioneXsushi

WV does suck

I've been there

I used to LIVE there. I escaped YAY.

Sigh, my friend dug out his compass dagger thingy (This combat knives with the good compass on the hilt?)
And it's off. So add Tulsa Oklahoma to the list.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Byteman

From North to North East would be a 45 degree shift, not 90....

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

I LOVE WV!!! why so mean towards wv? everyone needs to burn a couch every once and a while... i know i burnt my fair share during my stay there.

(Sorry first reply i saw when i refreshed the page today.)

ok on topic... i can't figure out how to edit the google map and it loads to slowly for me anyway, but i have a contribution. magnetic north is magnetic north in jalalabad, afghanistan. i checked local delcination on maps within 10 years old, so it hasn't changed much since their publications anyway.
edit on 21-3-2011 by thegiftbearer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I see that since my last check 12 hours ago the anomaly line had to be moved east toward the Atlantic and the correct readings in the center of the country has grown a few hundred miles to the southwest.

We've got more readings from Europe that aren't showing any pattern at all.

Could still use other areas of the world on the map

Also, the rumblings are now being heard in the UK, Pennsylvania and Florida.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConsentioExpono
reply to post by Byteman

Do people really think that this many replies would be occuring if there was "nothing to this"?
I mean 20+ pages worth of posts. You read the OP and without so much as reading 1 full page of replies you & several others have determined that there's nothing at all to it and the OP was trying to "scare people".

It's ANNOYING!

This is what a healthy mind would think, but the truth is: MASS HYSTERIA WORKS VERY WELL ON ATS.

Proof?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

A Discussion about a "reality shift" or what ever they meant (i still cant understand with my best logic). So the OP started a thread saying that New-Zealand is on the wrong side of Australia. A few days later the Thread had over 90 Pages and 100 of people on ATS believed New Zealand or Australias location is completely different.

But there was a huge lack of logic in the whole case, when reality altered, why is everything as we now it except New Zealand, and if there was a anomaly, why do people know how it was yesterday. It made the whole time no sense, but 100 where sure, something big happened. Individualism & Less Knowledge = Silly allegations, sorry to say. I am skeptic, not because I am an Ignorant, but because the upper case and others on ATS.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I just posted to the rumblings thread so that can be tracked on the same map.

Use a pushpin instead of a balloon for the rumbling sound reports. Maybe there's a correlation between the two. Just a feeling.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Does anyone know how to interpret the geomagnetic graphs on USGS? Would this affect compass readings?

new topics

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join