It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

Originally posted by Komaratzi11
Come to think of it, one day I was helping my son with his boy scout compass and it kept reading that what we knew was north was more to the east. We thought the compass was messed up. Strange!

I'm willing to bet that the compass works just fine.

Can anyone locate a site somewhere that might show graphs of earths magnetic fields...one with a recent timeline would be helpful. I am doing my best to find such a graph.

Is this what you're looking for?

Earths Magnetic lines

I'm in north-central NC (Greensboro area), and all 3 of my compasses are showing magnetic north just where it ought to be. My family is in Southwest Virginia, but so far none of them have reported any anomalies in the direction of magnetic north.

edit on 2011/3/20 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I appreciate all the information about compass reading, declination and deviation. However, the point of this threads seems to be that people who have properly used their compasses in the past find them not working at certain instances in the near present.

It's a shame there's not a 24/7 global community of peer-tested compass-readers constantly uploading their data to the internet. In lieu of that, I wouldn't be too quick to debunk anomalies reported in good faith. I have been a reader of ATS for years but have never commented, but it seems that many threads get trapped in this closed circle of bunk-debunk . . . until something big happens.

Like Chile, then Christchurch, then Japan.

Are these events related? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Sites like ATS and other media help inform me. All I do know is this: the next big one on the American West Coast may "start out" as something as inconsequential as a compass reading anomaly in say, Peoria.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I wish I had a video to prove it and if i can get one I will but today at work I asked my coworker who has an iPhone if he could tell me where magnetic north was. He looked for me and said it was slightly off. I played around with it myself but since I was behind a cash register inside it was hard to get a good bearing so i kept it in my mind during the day. WELL I just got out of work and the moon is full and bright. (the moon rises in the east does it not?) so i had him point his phone at the moon and it was leaning more toward south east and magnetic north was approximately 20 degrees off or so to the west.

I live in Murrells Inlet, SC if this observation holds any merit. Just thought I would share.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by br0ker

Originally posted by XtraTL

reply to post by XtraTL

WE (read: us that have compass "faults") don`t need you to believe us. WE just want enough data to figure this out. YOU can do whatever you want. If your post isn`t productive to the thread then please don`t bother writing.

If you actually cared to figure this out, you'd:

1) Check your compasses are working

2) Carefully check which direction true north is on a map by looking at some landmarks which you can measure the angle to accurately

3) Carefully check the declination at your location and make sure you understand what it means for the measurements you are taking

I believe I've read every post in this thread. So far I've seen zero evidence anyone has eliminated these possible errors in their measurements.

Until someone does this, this thread is nothing but a time consuming lesson in how to use a compass and read a map.

Ample evidence has been posted to demonstrate that there is no worldwide anomaly in the earth's magnetic field at present.

1: Check
2: Check, see my latest post.
3: Check, see my latest post.

Ok, now what?

Don't know.

Here is a real time chart of the magnetic declination as measured by a sensitive magnetometer near you (Karmoy) for the last 24 hours. (I don't have a reading right where you are, but relative to the entire world, that's pretty close.)

flux.phys.uit.no...

The graph which corresponds to declination is the one labelled D. It shows a miniscule variation, in fractions of a degree.

I don't know what to tell you. You probably just aren't measuring things as accurately as you think you are. This is not an uncommon realisation. I've had it multiple times.

I certainly don't take you for an idiot. (I won't post my experience here for comparison, otherwise it just becomes a pissing competition.)

The average of your measurements is about 15 degree off yes? The declination is 2 degrees yes? So we only need to explain a 13 degree deviation yes?

I think that is completely explicable in terms of the errors in the measurement. 30 = 55 = 90 degrees is not.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Very strange. I have lived on my property for over 20 years. I bought my truck new 4 years ago. My truck has a compass that, as far as I know, works correctly. My compass has always read "N" as I come up my driveway to my house. After reading this thread I drove to the end of my long driveway, turned around, tuned on my compass/temp
gadget, and it read "NE". It read this all the way to my house.
What is even more strange is that there are members on here calling this thread a hoax. I have not counted how many members on here are experiencing this anomaly, but to call us hoaxers are mighty powerful words.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IsisMoon21

There you go you figured it out! Point an iphone at the moon, you're blinding me with science.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intcrnct
I have a theory but I have a feeling everyone is just going to laugh.

Most likely ... mum's the word.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

l too feel this is somehow connected to the animal deaths. l have done since about page ten. The thing is both sides of this debate think they are right and l think they are.The way l see it, the changes made at the airports were long before the Japanese E/Q, so l don't think it's to do with that. Now, (and this is why l have'nt mentioned this earlier in this thread for obvious reasons) l don't want to derail this tread in any way, lt's too important. A lot of us know that all sorts of chemicals are being sprayed into the air including metals. some area's are sprayed on a regular basis and others don't seem to get sprayed at all. Could it be that the metals in the air are causing some peoples compass readings to be off in the heavily spayed area's and yet the folks not being sprayed a few miles away are showing normal. l live in the UK, unfortunately l don't have a compass but l will have tomorrow. l could be way off the mark, lts just my thoughts at the moment. Peace starchild.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsisMoon21
WELL I just got out of work and the moon is full and bright. (the moon rises in the east does it not?)

No, it does not. It depends on what time of year it is and your location. It can vary from east north east (ENE) to east south east (ESE).

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dadfortruth1

I think "it" moved a little when I was watching your video on how to make your own compass.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
Very strange. I have lived on my property for over 20 years. I bought my truck new 4 years ago. My truck has a compass that, as far as I know, works correctly. My compass has always read "N" as I come up my driveway to my house. After reading this thread I drove to the end of my long driveway, turned around, tuned on my compass/temp
gadget, and it read "NE". It read this all the way to my house.
What is even more strange is that there are members on here calling this thread a hoax. I have not counted how many members on here are experiencing this anomaly, but to call us hoaxers are mighty powerful words.

I've found that on here, people who cry Hoax, are usually just ignorant or practicing disinfo.

No matter the case, no one can deny what has happened in this thread. People, strangers, have come together with a common observation and interest, to share, research and work together. Even under the shadow of the smelly trolls in the basements.
edit on 3/20/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Man has this thread moved.

Alright if anyone is still interested, I just took a hammer to my compass. After going twenty miles west from my house and another twenty south to my friends house. I got several different readings never ounce did the damn thing point North so I just called mine defective. While at my partners house he had two compasses. We set all three side by side his both pointed North but not mine. Tommorrow I'm going out to look for a compass.

If the compass I get tomorrow, does the same thing to me ? That will be some sht.
edit on 20-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

Karmøy (karmoy) is 150 miles to the west. We`re also talking extreme differences in terrain as well. From rugged mountain to steep fjords, from calm wather to stormy gulf stream northern winds.

I just want to hear what a few other people have to say, so you and me might as well ignore this and watch the data that now pops up taking into consideration the threads info.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

We are still interested. This is far from being over.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I don't know if this is relevant or not,

but man I feel like I have vertigo today.

My internal compass feels severely off center. ugh, I feel sick right now.

Anyone else feeling these symptoms?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Intcrnct

Don't worry so have l, been keeping it to myself all through this thread then l took the plunge and put it out. Please tell us yours, all ideas welcome. Peace star.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
You have to remember all electrical appliances put out a magnetic field.If your inside a metal car it would have to be de gaused to read the poles accuratly.Metal boats are the same..even then you have to swing the compass to get a good reading.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Thank you for posting this. lt's one of the most interesting threads l have seen on here. Peace star.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

reply to post by XtraTL

Karmøy (karmoy) is 150 miles to the west. We`re also talking extreme differences in terrain as well. From rugged mountain to steep fjords, from calm wather to stormy gulf stream northern winds.

I just want to hear what a few other people have to say, so you and me might as well ignore this and watch the data that now pops up taking into consideration the threads info.

So you don't think it at all strange that the many sensitive, calibrated and accurate magnetometers in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the US and the pacific are ALL showing nothing unusual.

But the extremely inaccurate hand measurements taken by individuals measuring according to the direction of the moon (not east), the sun (not east) or where they think they remember their family once said they thought it was, or with broken compasses and with measurements that vary by no less than 60 degrees are somehow more accurate than these monitoring stations all over the world!?

Why is it so unreasonable to insist on evidence?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by star child
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Thank you for posting this. lt's one of the most interesting threads l have seen on here. Peace star.

My pleasure. Its nice to be able to share a common interest with so many and actually act as a team trying to find all possible causes.

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join