It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by minettejo

Thank you so much for posting this. The animals and birds vanishing for 6 months now is what started me looking into all of this. Live in Southwest Arkansas. This clearly shows there is a definite connection.
Big Star

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Ok.....I found an Aeromagnetic Anomaly map from the USGS that illustrates the reasons for some compass anomalies. I chose the Virginia map for the ATS example. All color-coded anomaly zones occur up to 1000 feet from ground level. Here it is, followed by the link to the USGS site where this info resides. Take from it what you will.

USGS Source

Unfortunately at this time, not all states maps have been added to the USGS database.
edit on 3/20/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/20/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: spelling

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
reply to post by kid_cudi

If pointing west does it point toward the epicenter of the last Oklahoma EQ?

Yes it does point towards the epicenter which was in Oklahoma city!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Mad dog, I had to learn the best thing on ATS is that I don't have to reply to everyone. I think this is an outstanding thread and I know you are probably surprised at all the interest.. The Map work members have done is outstanding.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by minettejo

Thank you so much for posting this. The animals and birds vanishing for 6 months now is what started me looking into all of this. Live in Southwest Arkansas. This clearly shows there is a definite connection.
Big Star

6 months ago the birds were probably migrating south because of winter. They do come back in the spring....No mystery in migratory patterns

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Poor Post, I know, but I just have to say, Holy Crapanelli, Kids! is this really happening. My whole life North has not been where it is now. I have lived here my whole life except for a four year sojourn and North aint where it used to be. Is this temporary or what? There have to be some local folks on here from the SoCal science industry. Please comment on this and put me out of my misery if I am misinterpreting things here. I'm a total pushover when it comes to straightening me out on science so I am waiting for someone to tell me that I am imagining things. Otherwise it looks like in some places all things magnetic have gone Wonkus.
I mean. guys; there is a fellow up there who made a post saying his truck is facing West and the compass reads North. Something is going on here.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Frater210 because: Reason

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Have we seen any footage as an example?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie

Mad dog, I had to learn the best thing on ATS is that I don't have to reply to everyone. I think this is an outstanding thread and I know you are probably surprised at all the interest.. The Map work members have done is outstanding.

I never thought there would be this much interest in this thread. I expected it to die after page 1 from lack of interest. I thought it was really cool when so many started sharing their readings, false or not. Then, the t... nevermind, won't say the word. All I did was post what I and a friend 600 miles away noticed. And now we're on page 35. Amazing.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
My husband and I have been ATS lurkers for quite a few years and it has taken this ‘compass thread’ to prompt us into joining.

We live in Eastern KY and our magnetic north is off by 20 degrees.

About a year and a half ago we built a good sized stone circle with a fire pit in the center in our back yard. We had four quite large stones that were to mark the directions and, logically, we placed the ‘north’ stone first. We, well my husband actually, as he knows better what he is doing, located magnetic north so we could place the first big stone; the ‘north’ stone.

After reading through the first dozen or so pages on this thread neither of us could stand it anymore and got that same compass and went out to the circle. Magnetic north and our north stone seems to be off by 20 degrees from where magnetic north was a year and a half ago.

Very strange indeed.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Since you know about all of these MSM reports and Scientist reports, could you please post them, that would be a great contribution.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
Ok.....I found an Aeromagnetic Anomaly map from the USGS that illustrates the reasons for some compass anomalies. I chose the Virginia map for the ATS example. All color-coded anomaly zones occur up to 1000 feet from ground level. Here it is, followed by the link to the USGS site where this info resides. Take from it what you will.

USGS Source

Unfortunately at this time, not all states maps have been added to the USGS database.

I believe someone smarter than I, can figure out false compass readings against these USGS maps. At this point, the happenings in this thread have me reconsidering my existence on ATS. But, yeah, hope somebody finds useful info with this..

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenFleece

Originally posted by XtraTL
That research is hotly disputed. It also relates to an event 15 million years ago, not yesterday.

Hotly disputed by you, obviously. I think a better word is "inexplicable."

Despite this article which appeared in the press, here is what an actual geology website says about the speed of geomagnetic reversals:

www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk...

Don't unquestioningly believe the press. Look for a number of independent and authoritative sources.

Note that I am not saying that a geomagnetic reversal cannot happen in a few weeks. I am saying that there is insufficient evidence to draw that conclusion.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

USGS Source

I believe someone smarter than I, can figure out false compass readings against these USGS maps. At this point, the happenings in this thread have me reconsidering my existence on ATS. But, yeah, hope somebody finds useful info with this..

The readings on that map are in nanoTesla. It measures the variation in magnetic field strength, not direction, as far as I can tell.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
OK. There is the number. I am off roughly 20 degrees as well. I have no idea really what I am talking about. But from where North used to be to where it is now is about 20 degrees. Holy Crap. Well at least I can point directly to the mountains now and say, That is North'. Tell me this isn't really happening. I mean these were just my conspiracy and Doom fueled fantasies, right?

Maybe certain compasses have been effected and not others? Is that possible?
edit on 20-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

link   
Iphone compass is pointing North East.

link   

Don't be so hard on yourself, at least of half of the self-proclaimed experts here are full of it. Many of them have been caught in lies, then dissappeared form threads. You could be on to something, never know. North is still the same for me, but also, I walked outside, and like 30 feet into the backyard to take my readings. Powerlines are the other way, I just wanted to try my best to get rid of all possible interference I could think of.

link   
After extensive testing, because on the maps I have seen on here I live within an area that should be showing 0 degrees of inclination, I have found that my compass on 3 smartphones , 2 small compasses, and one large very good compass, that there is no anomaly or anything strange with my location.
When I set my phones settings to true north, they show the exact same location of magnetic north. ( both digital and analog backing me up) So from my location, there is absolutely nothing unusual. I have pictures, I have written data, all I can say is that to the naked eye you can not tell any difference between magnetic north and true north from my location. This is exactly what science should be saying.
Now I am not saying what you guys are seeing is wrong but where I am, which should be both true north and magnetic north, there is nothing unusual about my results.

But you did make me change my afternoon to test this
edit on 20-3-2011 by THEDUDE86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is most interesting indeed! I will have to check with a few sources of mine to collaborate data and crunch some numbers to make sure. I like my data straight and uncut!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This thread should be in skunk works.

* Despite pointing out direct contradictions in the OP's story (such as he used an old compass he found this morning in a box of old junk vs it is a compass he last used three weeks ago) and asking the OP to respond, he has not done so.

* Despite posting numerous requests for some simple yet specific information backing up the OP's claims (such as landmarks he is using to determine true north and video of his compass and evidence that his compass is correctly magnetized), none of this information has been provided.

* Despite pointing out errors in the computations of the OP in relation to the direction of true north vs magnetic north at his location and asking him to comment, he has not done so.

* Despite vast contradictions of up to 45 degrees in the information the OP has posted with regard to the direction his compass is pointing, and asking the OP to comment on this, he has not done so.

I'm leaving this thread now until it is either filed as a hoax or until some non-contradictory information is posted with proper evidence. Every call I've made for the contradictions to be answered or for evidence to be posted has been deliberately ignored.

I call hoax.
edit on 20-3-2011 by XtraTL because: I think this thread is a hoax

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

I tested my compass about 6 months ago and it was exactly 2 degrees off toward the east. Now it is reading exactly Northeast mark. I don't know how many degrees it has changed [eyes not that good] but that seems like it would be real fast. Maybe not a degree a week, but a lot faster than years that people are saying.
Great Articile

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join