It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Brilliant! Correlation between recent earthquake activity and compasses that are off. Star for you - way to put the pieces together. If any of you have been following the Arkansas swarm of earthquakes near the New Madras/Madrid fault you will know how active that area has become. I love it when the ATS'ers put the pieces of a puzzle together.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Come on guys. Post a video with a bar magnet held near your compass to prove that it is still working correctly, then post a video of some street signs of straight streets near your house (somewhere in the same town -- doesn't need to give away where you live obviously) that we can find on google maps, then post a video panning from the street signs down to the compass, which should clearly not be near any magnetic or metallic objects (short sleeves, etc)...

or it didn't happen.

Somehow I think aeroplanes might've noticed by now if magnetic north had moved 90 degrees. Don't you!?
edit on 20-3-2011 by XtraTL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
reply to post by antibyte

Theres one false reading from our friends in Europe....Please keep the readings coming from across the big ponds!

From the UK -

If you check out my posting record, you'll find that I am a pretty aggressive debunker.

I have two compasses, same design but one expensive, one cheapo. Silva Polaris Model 177 'type'

I checked due North using Google Maps.
Then I used Google Earth just to be sure.

I have double checked this with both compasses.

They are both pointing 25deg East of where they should.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Ok just to clear things up here in my area. I live between Spring Lake, NC and Sanford, NC out in the country. I have taken all my reading outside in my front yard. There are no power lines, no generators oh and my declination is....

Declination = 8° 33' W changing by 0° 2' W/year

There is no interference that I can think of EXCEPT maybe that we live just 8 miles north of Fort Bragg and about 6 miles north of Pope AFB right off of Hwy 24/87 and we are surrounded out here in the country by artillery ranges. This is pretty much undeveloped land around us because Fort Bragg uses it for training Still getting a more easterly reading for north but it has been fluctuating a degree or two this morning, but it is a little bit breezy here today.

Oh and I used both Google maps and Google Earth this morning using those compasses to make sure I am SURE where North is, JUST to make sure that I wasn't tired and seeing things and off my rocker last night. Nope, still getting the same reading with a slight variation. I even went online this morning to brush up on my compass reading just to make sure I was still reading it correctly. Oh and I would LOVE to post video cause this is extremely interesting to me, but sadly I don't have a video camera

edit on 20-3-2011 by watchdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Mine is spot on.
No deviation from where it's always pointed.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Ok, I had to check this out - and stangely enough... well, although this picture is off my iPhone... it does state what the OP is saying. Yes, I calibrated it - twice. I also calibrated my wife's phone too... same thing.

Yes, it is set to magnetic north... could be a software glitch...
?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/621752d82bb0.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/94fea57affe8.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
im from the uk,all good here.......i bet its that pesky elenin....hmmmmm
what the hell is going on?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
as i posted at the beginning of the thread, my compass was working fine. rechecked this morning..n is stil n
southeast washington state..
WOW this thread has grown since i went to sleep!!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
With all of the variation being reported, and assuming it is reasonably accurate, I have a hard time thinking this has anything to do overall with a 'pole shift'. My first thoughts, knowing how as was mentioned earlier, that even small changes in magnetic fields can throw off compasses and the timing, was to the DOD 'tests' that were mentioned in a thread right here on ATS that were conducted (alledgedly) Jan 20 to Feb 22 of this year. The states listed to be affected were Florida, Georgia, Alabama, N. and S. Carolina, Virginia, Tenn,. mostly the SE U.S., is anyone seeing that the reports of compasses off may show a trend (subtracting for any variations and anomolies) that seem to show needle readings being pulled down toward the direction of the E/SE to maybe something magnetic attracting them toward it? Just wondering. When I looked at the concentric rings (shown on the picture on the ATS thread) around where the 'test' was eminating from it seemed to suggest their MIGHT be a correlation and something that strong seems obviously able to alter magnetic compasses. I realize that this test alledgedly had to do with GPS but I'm wodnering if the test may have had more to do with disruption of GPS signals from some strong interfering 'magnetic' source.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well, even though common sense tells me this isn't possible I obviously had to get my compas out and check the reading.

North is where it's supposed to be.

What's curious is that I never realized how much the reading is influenced by metal objects. A metal drawer from Ikea turns the needle, so does the fridge. What I didn't expect is that the needle would follow my car keys!

So I guess what I'm saying is, check you don't have anything metallic or electric near the compass, not even your watch.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

O.k. Had to get in on the topic. East Central Fla. and compass is N./S. orientation. Alls good here.
Question, anyone know of what type of compass points south? I have an older Wittnauer compass with US on the cover. It points south, and I would like to know if these are used in southern hemisphere or what's up?
Thanks,
Spike

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I know this will get lost in the posts, but I need more readings from the central U.S.; Montana, Idaho and the Dakotas. Trying to determine the boundaries at this point.

If we throw out a certain percentage of the readings as folks who would get lost on the way to the bathroom if they used a compass, we're still left with that stupid ring of blue.

Which is odd, darned odd. If it was just a tiny area, I would have to declare an error to the readings. But that ring. That puts the kibosh on bad readings.

And no, people aren't fudging the results; most of them I'm putting on the map myself and correcting the lines as we go.
edit on 20-3-2011 by billxam because: added content

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Not sure if it was considered/posted, but an idea came to me. I haven't checked any compasses in the house yet, but I plan to. Either way, I remember seeing an image of what the magnetosphere would look like during a pole shift, and it showed instead of the normal lines going up and down, there were blotches of blue and red. Could this possibly be what is occurring? I know that the real-time simulation is down since the 14th, so unless there is another site with it, I guess we can all do just that? Guess?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Why is my compass pointing east? A compass should point north. This is odd and I noticed it last sunday,
but it seems to be getting farther east. Last sunday north by north east. Now it's damn near dead east. This
crap shouldn't surprise me at all. BUT IT DOES FREAK ME OUT! A little.
edit on 20-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
My compass works just great. I live pretty far north too so trust me. I'll let everyone know once the north pole goes south.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Either...

Your compass is broken.
You don't know how to use a compass
You are hoaxing the board.

Why?
Because if magnetic North shifted east as you say, planes would all be crashing from failed navigation.

You know what? I'm thinking hoax.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Byteman

Hoax? Really? Thats why a lot of people across the globe report the same thing? Move along, your attempt at disinfo is not welcome.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byteman

Either...

Your compass is broken.
You don't know how to use a compass
You are hoaxing the board.

Why?
Because if magnetic North shifted east as you say, planes would all be crashing from failed navigation.

You know what? I'm thinking hoax.

Pretty bold claims since all of the people in red on This Map are claiming their compasses are off.

If you are claiming that all of the people researching this issue are hoaxing the board - you better be able to back that claim up... that is a bold statement.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm not sure if anyone has already commented on this but I've believed since January that the bird kill in Arkansas was directly due to a electromagnetic anomaly of the magnetic field in that particular part of the atmosphere at that time, all these magnetic field anomalies in specific areas kind of confirms this for me. Prior to a magnetic pole shift, the popping up of magnetic field flux anomalies has been theorized by some scientists.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
People on these who know me know I wouldn't HOAX anything. I think you may as well call it like it is and say it's a lie. I'm in So. ca. and my compass is pointing east. That's it thats all I'm saying as God is my witness. Now wtf.
edit on 20-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join