It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I can't even sleep now, Here is something I found on a link someone posted but it was way at the bottom.

Over the past century, the shift has been increasing in speed. It went from creeping as slow as nine miles per year in the early 1900s to more than 35 miles per year in the 2000s. However, that acceleration also is part of natural cycle, Love

Currently, the shift creates about a one-degree difference in compass direction every five years, Love said. Accordingly, the Federal Aviation Administration evaluates airport runway numbers every five years, said Kathleen Bergen, FAA spokeswoman.

articles.sun-sentinel.com... ational-airport

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
Started a world map for us, hard to be very accurate at this scale though.

Feel free to update it. If you use photoshop you can use the custom shape tool to add your own blips. If you want to keep image format & quality, do File-----Save for web and devices----PNG-24

edit on 3/20/2011 by goochball because: map update

ATS need to be able to stick a post to top of "research in progress threads" no matter what page you are on.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Antoniastar

www.vortexmaps.com...

Might be worth looking into.

Just a thought.

Toni

edit on 20-3-2011 by Antoniastar because: to edit a typo.

Let's hope people dont start to disappear in the migrating devil's triangles

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Two of my Compass is off by 3 degrees of magnetic north. north point a little N,NE for some reason. I'm in Central New Mexico. Checked with my Blackberry its right on the money with the real GPS Sat feature.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
When I first took my compass out of the drawer it didn't budge at all so thought it was broken and placed it on the table. It then pointed to true North immediately. No changes in South Australia.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
My android app compass is working fine (northern Wisconsin).

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
No changes in north for NE england, i checked the compass on my phone and then check the military compass in the shed for good measure both reading correctly.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
well my north is still pointing to the bathroom so well no pole# here.

And of course the quake altered the pole for about 4 feet that all

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I'm in southeast Texas, don't have a real compass, but have one on my Droid ...it is pointg east as well..keeps saying "abnormal magnetic field detected, recalibrate phone" I do it and it still does this....something is going on...gonna be watching this as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Earth Magnetic Field Declination from 1590 to 1990
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b88ee0b7347.gif[/atsimg]
en.wikipedia.org...

Aviation sectionals (maps / charts) and databases used for air navigation are based on True north rather than magnetic north, and the constant and significant slight changes in the actual location of magnetic north and local irregularities in the planet's magnetic field require that charts and databases be updated at least 2 times per year to reflect the current magnetic variation correction from True north. For example, as of March 2010, near San Francisco the magnetic north is about 14.3 degrees east of True north, with the difference decreasing by about 6 minutes of arc per year.

the latest magnetic field models
geomag.org...

edit on 20-3-2011 by conar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
science.nasa.gov...

A good article from Nasa about these things.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Just chiming in here as I was out all day and away from the comp (working on my earthquake and BOB supplies, coincidentally )...

I'm getting accurate (as can be) readings on my iPhone in the SoCal area (right by beach, around Palos Verdes).

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Just checked my compass here in Italy, a few miles east of Rome
and it shows magnetic north about 30 degrees off to the east.

Puzzeled.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Fluctuations in the magnetic field have occurred in several far-flung regions of Earth, the researchers found.

In 2003 scientists found pronounced changes in the magnetic field in the Australasian region. In 2004, however, the changes were focused on Southern Africa.

The changes "may suggest the possibility of an upcoming reversal of the geomagnetic field," said study co-author Mioara Mandea, a scientist at the German Research Centre for Geosciences in Potsdam.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AstroBuzz

its an app..doesnt count

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Greyling2012

its an app, doesnt count

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by M0bstar

well maybee I take it all back..that is weird...

sorry..just dont trust the phone's apps for something like this

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Get enough readings...maybe you can define a border where normal magnetic north ends and this odd magnetic east as north begins. From there, perhaps there will be geological clues of the affected area.

If the anomalous effects lessen the further you get from a certain location, it could be assumed there is a 'local' magnetic anomaly where the deviation is greatest. As you say, this should be straightforward to pinpoint.

OP said his compass was off by 45 degrees and his friends 37 degrees. This would imply (assuming accurate measurements) that the anomaly had weakened or lessened at his friends location in Virginia.

Is there a major military base nearby to where the anomaly has been measured at it's strongest?

Perhaps they have a device or system that is causing these magnetic effects? An advanced EMP type device, without the 'pulse'? A kind of permanent or continual EM scattering device?

Or would a subsurface caldera rapidly filing with magma, at the point of highest magnetic anomaly cause these effects? I think it would.

Any unusual seismic activity in the area? If so, it might point to a way to predict volcanism more accurately, if magnetic anomalies are a precursor to an eruption....

Just throwing ideas out peeps.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
dont know if this would be or doing any good but has any one got or tried a tirfield meter at ?
i know these pick up on emfs ect... just a thought

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Last November, when I started a simple pyramidexperiment (wich failed) and adjusted it to magnetic north. I used one of those TV stands, wich you can rotate. Afterwards I fixed the plate. When I read this 5 minutes ago I went down to my littly electronic labor and looked at my compass and there is no significant change (the experimental setup is fixed to the ground so its imposible to move). I will set up my good one today,too. When theres change I´ll reply.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join