It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaddafi says will arm civilians to defend Libya

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Before you can impose a "no-fly zone" you have to suppress the ground defences. Hence the cruise-missile strikes. The "no-fly zone" has been imposed after the Arab League agreed to it, such is Gadaffi`s esteem among his fellow Arabs.

Also when he talks about arming "the Libyan people" he means the Gadaffi extended clan, not the people of Benghazi, Tobruk etc. who say that if he is not stopped he will kill them all. He has already threatened them with "There will be no mercy" in the past couple of days.

This is not about oil - we were already getting that from the Gadaffi Government.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

He might have figured it out when he personally ordered the destruction of PanAm flight 103 over Lockerbee Scottland, killing 270 people...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by GovtFlu

Why did you think that?.. have you been there?
Thus far the point that 'western' MSM headlines are inflated exaggerations doesn't matter much eh?..

No, have you recently ???

Tell us all the true story..
He's a guy good but but just misunderstood ???
edit on 20-3-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

Uh, no.. truthfully I've never lived in Libya or NK and don't have the slightest idea about the quality of life in either country. Being 1000s of miles away makes me geographically ignorant from the NK or Libyan experience..

And I haven't read anything on the internet or seen anything on TV to convince me bombing Libya is a good idea with a proven track record of success.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Then he will be removed, simple

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu
And I haven't read anything on the internet or seen anything on TV to convince me bombing Libya is a good idea with a proven track record of success.

The Kosovo Campaign in 1999 went pretty well. Air power alone drove the Serbian Army out of Kosovo, so when the Para's and US Marines went in, the only opposition they encountered was the Russians at Pristina.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I have been to Libya. I was in Misurata for a few weeks in 2007. Near to the air force base in fact.

The Libyan people we met were friendly though the issue of politics never came up. Discussion of politics and the regime were avoided by all. If conversation drifted near to that area the fear was palpable.

The country was a strange mix of modern and old, armed military police presence was pervasive. Checkpoints with AK47 carrying soldiers was common.

Some things that stuck in my memory.

The beach could have been a lovely place to visit but was used by the locals as a refuse site.
Satellite TV seemed quite common.
Trappings of modern infrastructure was there but dilapidated.
They all drove like maniacs, road rules were optional.
The airport had the largest number of entirely spurious document checks I've ever experienced. I swear my passport was examined and stamped by at least 5 different people on exit.
You have to buy a certain amount of local currency on entry, but you cant change it back to a recognised currency on leaving.
I experienced a great deal of curiosity for western lifestyles but no hostility

Im my personal opinion these are real people with real families and the courage to stand up and fight for a better life. Talk of CIA stooges is stupid and insulting to their courage.

If we were after the oil we could have whistled and looked the other way as the regime suppressed the people again. Blair had already gained the UK access to the oil through politics and the release of the Lockerbie Bomber.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu

Originally posted by TheEasterBunny
reply to post by Crunkman919

Thank you crunkman!
Finally the light of reason.
I don't always agree with NATO or the US but this one is justified.

Aren't they all..

Can the warmongers please come up with some new justifications?.. the whole "evil tyrant" and "dictator who kills" boogie-man script has become cliche after saddam.... whats next?.. WMDs.. lol.. Nobody believes in the "freedom & democracy motivated by virtue" plot anymore either.

Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I stand by what I said.
"Nobody believes in the "freedom & democracy motivated by virtue" plot anymore either." As for this, speak for yourself, if you want to be scared and angry at the US all the time have at it. It changes nothing. Send a letter to your congressman, maybe he/she will give it the attention it deserves?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join