It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Stupid" question for any nuke plant operators.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
We have alot of expertise checking in here. On the chance somebody is informed on nuke plant operation or engineering.I've gotta ask this seemingly "stupid question":

Just came back from my first decent walk outside after winter ( 55F out today my brain is humming with oxygen):
The plant cooling pumps quit because of no power and no diesel back up generation: A thought occurs:

"WHY WOULD A 500MEGAWATT nuclear power ( generation) plant ever need an "extension cord" or backup generators for cooling pump power?????? Even if the reactor is "scrammed"(. control rods drop in automatically by gravity to shutdown the nuclear reaction would there be enough residual heat to create steam to drive a small facility back up turbine or steam driven water pumps just to power operations around the plant.???? I mean wtf? If this is just ignorance forget it; if its "sheer genius" I want credit...the reactor could be self contained

edit on 19-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2011 by 46ACE because: spelling errors....

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Good question, I've ask myself the very same question in the past.

I am by no means, a nuclear expert but if I'm not mistaken, it was a system very similar to what you described that was being tested when the Chernobyl meltdown occurred.

On the other hand, I just watched a video the other day here on ATS that explained the new generation G.E. nuclear power plant that had a gravity fed emergency cooling system that could maintain stable reactor temps. for up to 72 hrs. without any backup power whatsoever. I know that 72 hrs. isn't very long but at least it would give us 3 days to get power restored or to refill the gravity pools.

I wish I could remember the title of the thread so I could link it here for you to watch. I'm still searching and if I find it, I'll post a link. O.K., I just found it. The thread is called "GE's modern reactor design and a lesson in cooling" and it can be found here; abovetopsecret.com...

The video linked in the thread can be found here; www.gepower.com...
edit on 19-3-2011 by Flatfish because: edit to add thread & video links

new topics

join