It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Dems charged in fake tea party scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Michigan Dems charged in fake tea party scandal

Two Michigan Democrats were arraigned Wednesday on election corruption charges for allegedly propping up of fake tea party candidates in 2010, the Detroit News reports.

Former Democratic Party Chairman Michael McGuinness (right) and ex-operations director Jason Bauer have been charged with forgery, putting people up for office without their knowledge and other charges. The two party leaders allegedly conspired to field phony tea party candidates in an apparent bid to siphon off GOP votes and boost Democrats in two Michigan County Commission races and a state Senate race last year, according to the newspaper. Several of the charges are felonies, some of which carry penalties of up to 14 years in prison.

Click link for more info

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I mean really? What is it going to take to get politicians from all sides of the aisle under control? If you have to resort to cheating / illegal behavior to win an election, it should make a person wonder if their position on issues is based in reality, or fantasy land.

We really need to reform the way we hold elections in this country. We really need to hold all parties accountible.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It's like that South Park episode where they had the choice of voting for a "Turd Sandwich" or a "Giant Douche"
I swear, they wonder why they can't get much more than 50% of the electorate to vote.
What they need in America is more parties. There are more that 2 kinds of people, so you need more than 2 kinds of parties. They also need to get rid or private funding for elections, give the parties federal funds based on the votes they receive. That way your vote would actually matter, and the politicians would have no reason to suckle at the tit of the corporations, as they would no longer be relying on them on for campaign funds.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Chindogu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Chindogu

Thats the issue though... We have more than 2 parties in this country. The way the current Federal program is setup for Presidential Candidates heavily favors REpublicans and Democrats.. Very few 3rd party candidates meets the criteria in order to receive federal money to run an election.

I am not that huge of a fan of the coalition style government, and am even less of a fan of that when I see countries that have the government collapse, whihc lead to new elections. Its hard enough to get us to vote as it is...

Going back and looking at American Political parties from our birth to current, there is an average of 30 year cycles where one party would rise, while another declined. We are way overdue for a change....

The last cycle and the rise of the Tea Party gave me hope that people were finally seeing there is a major issue in Washington (hope in the fact a 3rd party grass roots campaign actually accomplished some forward momentum). I am becoming more and more in favor of changing some of the laws that have been put in place the last few decades.

Campaign Finance Reform
Lobbyists
unlimited campaign donations by abusing loopholes in the system
Going back to placing Senate Elections to the State Government, instead of the people voting for them.
Balanced budget amendment
more serious actions taken against elected officials who abuse their position

I can go on and on, as can others.. I am more and more in favor of requiring people to vote, making it a holiday, making it required as part of school projects etc etc etc.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
this is the kind of behavior that makes our country look silly...this political squabbling is a joke and shows just how far they're willing to go just to get what they want...sickening is all i gotta say

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

Yeah its always a proud moment when local politics makes international headlines...

new topics

top topics

join